Simple ways to update our home and get it ready for the market? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Question Simple ways to update our home and get it ready for the market?

My husband and I are looking at moving into a larger, more permanent home in roughly 3-4 years. That gives us time to make some updates to our home to both make it more enjoyable while we are here, but also increase the sale-ability when it comes time to sell.

One of the things that we are planning to do this year is remodel the kitchen to make it more functional. As it stands, there is next to NO counter space, and no real storage space for food, etc. We may or may not update appliances, but our big thing is simply adding cabinets and counter space.

Here are some other ideas that I have, but I would love to get feedback from anyone on what might be simple, inexpensive changes that we could make that will help us out when it comes time to sell without needing to sink TONS of money into remodeling:
  • Refinish the wood floors downstairs
  • Recarpet the stairs, upstairs hallway, and bedroom
  • Update the bathroom (new vanity, medicine cabinet, and light fixture - possibly switch from tub to shower)
  • Repaint walls to neutral but inviting colors (light grays with bright whites, creams, pale yellows, etc.)
  • Make simple updates to the landscaping (add a border)

Those are just a few. It's a nice home, but it's a starter home for us. If we do get around to having kids, there's definitely not enough space! So....thoughts? Suggestions? We can do some repairs/projects on our own, but we aren't the best when it comes to remodeling projects! Simple, cost effective, but anything that would make a difference.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

As part of the kitchen remodel....I would add a garbage disposal if you don't already have one, I can't live without one but they're not that expensive. Also a nice tile backsplash is relatively inexpensive. I think no backsplash or having a formica countertop go up a few inches looks tacky and cheap. I've you're getting new cabinets, ones that go to the ceiling look really nice, that was a selling point for me in our kitchen.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Check your lighting and make sure it's updated too. Also, repaint/touch up the trim if it needs it. Check your outside entry way, make sure it's welcoming and clean. Paint your front door/steps if need be.

Also, remove 1/3 of the junk in your house (we all have it) and closets and box up a lot of the rest. Organize your spaces and people will imagine their things in it better.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We don't currently have a disposal, but we DID just add a dishwasher. I'll look into the addition of a disposal, though!

I do want to add a nice backsplash, as well. The way we're redoing it, we'll have the dishwasher, sink, and a corner cabinet along "Wall A", which will butt up to the range on "Wall B" which will sit next to a window. Along the opposite wall, "Wall C" we'd add both floor AND wall cabinets (absolutely up to the ceiling ), and use that for miscellaneous appliances and such. The refrigerator will go along wall opposite of the range. I've been redesigning it in my head ever since we bought the house three and a half years ago, and this is the best functional way to redesign that I can think of!

Organizing and decluttering is definitely something we need to work on. Our apartment was much larger than our current home, and we accumulated more "stuff" than I'd like. Sadly, this house does not offer up much storage beyond the basement...

Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're going to put money into some updates, nice newer windows would be a huge selling point for me. That was perhaps the biggest downer of the house we bought.

Oh, and something on the windows other than cheap plastic blinds helps too. I loved the simple curtains that were in our home when we went through it and luckily she left them behind for me so I never changed them.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

At least I'm on the right track with some of our updates! The windows are newer, so I think we're safe there. I purchased simple, off-white curtains from Ikea that I could easily leave up. There are the metal mini-blinds in all of the windows, but I think if I got them all cleaned they'd be alright? They help to block out the light that the curtains don't.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

New dishwasher definitely a plus. If buying a refrigerator, I'd go with the french door kind, freezer on bottom, two doors on top. Since you have new windows, I'd get some honeycomb blinds, maybe investing in the kind that can open both top down and bottom up. Get the energy efficient kind, also think energy efficient in new lighting fixtures and water heater.

For paint colors, I really love going on the Benjamin Moore Paint website for ideas. I believe they have "staging" colors - what will sell your home and learning how to combine colors. If you don't have that much money for the bathroom, at least recaulk around sinks and tubs. I did that in our 1/2 bath and it looks so bright and newer.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I go back and forth on wanting to update the appliances. There's a store nearby that does scratch and dent as well as refurbished, so maybe I'll see if I find a good deal there - get the look without it being brand new!

And I'll check out the Benjamine Moore site! I have a decent idea of colors to avoid, but it's always good to have a reference point.

I was also thinking up simple things like updating the cover plates for the light switches. Right now they're beat up plastic ones...maybe a brushed nickel? Inexpensive, but could add a nice touch?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd have to disagree on the garbage disposal... a lot of people see it as extra maintenance... probably wouldn't get much of a return on it considering what you'd spend. Also-- keep the tub, if it's in good shape. If it's not, look into those facades. Young families looking for a starter home will always want a tub. Update fixtures and hardware. Curb appeal is also a big one-- get rid of dated front doors, etc.

A tile blackspash is great-- there are also really cool stick-on tin, copper, and other metal blackspashes that add a lot of "wow" for not a lot of money.

I wouldn't worry about replacing appliances...at least not buying anything "top of the line". If your range/stove is really dated, I would consider replacing that. The biggest thing I've learned from "flipping" houses is not to update yourself out of the market-- we put top-of-the-line everything in our house in CT and it really screwed us..it priced us right out of the market. Always, think about what you'll spend vs. what you'll get back. There are a lot of great resources on HGTV's websites, etc.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll have to see if I can get a good sketch of our bathroom. The problem with it is that it is suuuuper awkward. It's narrow. You walk in, and the vanity is immediately to your right, and the toilet is just next to it. There's a wall right in front of the toilet, so unless you're short, it makes it awkward to pull your pants up. The wall is there because the tub is directly in front of the toilet...

At the very least, we need to rip down the laminate they have in the shower because they did an awful job and it's coming off in some parts. Aaaand they simply put plastic over the wood frame of the window.

Maybe update the laminate, recaulk, and switch the window to glass block to get rid of the window will problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.