Anti-drinking ad - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with you, Skew...the first one did not hit home any where like the rest...just too out there...the others...very believable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Everyday we get home alive is a lucky day...

Unbelievable how lucky I was 20 years ago but I'm still paying for it each and every day with a bad leg because somebody drove too fast and ran me over.
That's awful, Mrs. K. Was it a hit and run? I have two friends who recently were mowed down by a girl who was high on methadone. Hit and run. She literally left them for dead on the side of the road and they have had to relearn to do EVERYTHING again. Walk, cook, read, write.....it was such a horrible tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon View Post
The ones from Ireland are really hard hitting.

Dakota had to comfort me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
now these are video's that work. the OP video, not so much, though it's directed towards another point.
(
Sorry if I traumatized you all by posting these! There is a prolific drink culture here, as many people know, so the adverts were quite effective at getting people to use more sense regarding drink driving.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Rua are those ads on regular tv?
Caledon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rua View Post
Sorry if I traumatized you all by posting these! There is a prolific drink culture here, as many people know, so the adverts were quite effective at getting people to use more sense regarding drink driving.
I liked them. I mean, they were very hard to watch, but I imagine they are effective. We have a big problem with drunk driving in my state, and the PSAs always focus on getting arrested. I think there's one where it ends in an accident rather than a bust, but it cuts out with a screech of brakes. The problem is that people who drive drunk aren't weighing the consequences clearly. I think you need to hit them with a really emotional impact that will hopefully stay with them even if they've had a few too many.

FWIW, I drink once or twice a week on average--not falling down drunk, but buzzed enough that I shouldn't drive. So I don't. Even in my area where public transportation is virtually nonexistent at night and cabs are both hard to get in a reasonably timely manner and expensive, it really isn't hard to plan ahead if you know you'll be drinking. If we're going out, we have a designated driver. If I'm going to a friend's house, I either discuss it with them to make sure I can stay the night or I arrange for a ride home with a sober person. And even if you do drink more than you intended or your DD disappears or something, you call Safe Ride or go ahead and deal with the expense and hassle of a cab ride. If you can't manage to avoid driving drunk, you're clearly not responsible enough to be drinking.

As far as the OP video...it's memorable, but I don't see the benefit. As others have said, someone with a drinking problem isn't going to see themselves in it (or if they do they don't care), and people who drink responsibly aren't going to be scaring their children. I just don't see who it is going to help.

The kids themselves are some good actors though. I don't think any of them were really scared. I've even seen non-acting children show fear signs like increased respiration and such during pretend games. Most recently I was playing "Jurassic Park" with a friend's 5 year old son, and he looked a lot like the kid in the car seat when the imaginary T-Rex was chasing us. If I didn't know that his fear was pretend, I'd probably have been really worried about him. He even chastised me for not being scared enough. "Don't smile, a T-Rex is chasing us!" LOL

And to bring it full circle, that was on New Year's Eve and I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. I still got to carry the big hunting rifle (also imaginary) and protect him from the velociraptors.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rua View Post
That's awful, Mrs. K. Was it a hit and run? I have two friends who recently were mowed down by a girl who was high on methadone. Hit and run. She literally left them for dead on the side of the road and they have had to relearn to do EVERYTHING again. Walk, cook, read, write.....it was such a horrible tragedy.

ohhh no worries, i was not traumatized at all. IMO that's exactly how to get this kind of message to sink in. seeing a beer ad that says "consume responsibly" at the end of it is crap IMO.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon View Post
Rua are those ads on regular tv?
Yep! They usually air around teatime (from about 5pm onwards) on all the major television stations. It's when the most people are at home watching telly.

I really do think the adverts helped curb a lot of the drink driving issues this country had. It didn't solve them by any means, but it definitely left an impact. Our road deaths have steadily declined every year since those ads began being aired about 10 or 12 years ago.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.