Anyone donate an organ before? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Anyone donate an organ before?

Bit of Background...
My mother got e-coli when I was 16 and has been struggling with her health ever since, the e-coli unfortunately got to the point where it
attacked her kidneys and she's been living with 5-10% functioning for about 9 years now. Her doctors recently told her that she either needs to start dialysis' or have a transplant.

Since family members are prefered donors, I've started to get tested and go through the routine of becoming a donor.

I have a plan in place for Gaia and the new puppy for the first few days that I'd be home from the hospital. Has anyone been in this position before? I know there's probably forums out there about being a donor but I thought I'd reach out here first.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I honor you for your dedication to your mom. Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure in your family? These are things to think about if you are thinking of donating as these are risk factors for you later in life to risk your health with one kidney. I am a dialysis nurse and it is a very hard thing to see a loved one go on dialysis but it is possible to live a full life with it. How old is your mom? I am assuming you are in your 20's as I did the math from your post. People do live regular lives with one kidney, you just have to be extra careful to take good care of yourself. Your mom will be on antirejection meds for the rest of her life. Hopefully she is very compliant and will follow the doctor's instructions religiously. Donating a kidney is major surgery and there is always a risk of infection to both you and your mom, but there is that from any medical procedure. I hope this is helpful. God bless you both through this journey.
notthereyet0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I offered a kidney to a friend but unfortunately she passed away before she was stable enough to consider another transplant. Since I am young (28), healthy, and don't have kids, and could get the time off/medical I need through my job, we figured I would be a good donor.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Isn't there someone on the forum who received a kidney from his wife? Can't remember who.

At any rate, those of you who would even consider offering an organ are awesome!
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A friend from my church, Karen, donated a kidney to a co-worker about 4 yrs ago. Shortly after that Karen had to have her hip or knee operated on(not replaced but a repair).
She came out of that with no ill effects and is doing well/ seems quite healthy. Karen was late 40's when she donated the kidney.

I think it is a very generous thing to do, and would be willing if someone was in need. Donating blood is something most of us can do as well....it is so needed!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also make sure to get the organ donor sticker on your driver's license!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I got screened to give my husband one of my kidneys after he was misdiagnosed with kidney failure. We got a second,third,and fourth opinon to make sure that he was in kidney failure. It turns out that he had kidney stones instead.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't donated but 11+ years ago i received both pancreas and kidney, due to the pancreas my donor was deceased and unrelated to me but both organs are still functioning extremely well. I'm wishing your mom the same success I'm enjoying!

Kathie
Kath & Clan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I got screened to give my husband one of my kidneys after he was misdiagnosed with kidney failure. We got a second,third,and fourth opinon to make sure that he was in kidney failure. It turns out that he had kidney stones instead.
this can't be true.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthereyet0 View Post
I honor you for your dedication to your mom. Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure in your family? These are things to think about if you are thinking of donating as these are risk factors for you later in life to risk your health with one kidney. I am a dialysis nurse and it is a very hard thing to see a loved one go on dialysis but it is possible to live a full life with it. How old is your mom? I am assuming you are in your 20's as I did the math from your post. People do live regular lives with one kidney, you just have to be extra careful to take good care of yourself. Your mom will be on antirejection meds for the rest of her life. Hopefully she is very compliant and will follow the doctor's instructions religiously. Donating a kidney is major surgery and there is always a risk of infection to both you and your mom, but there is that from any medical procedure. I hope this is helpful. God bless you both through this journey.
Both sides of my family have a clean bill of health no major problems, my mom does have high blood pressure but its a result of the complications for her illness. You're correct I'm in my 20s, 25, she's 46-47 I believe.

At first when the subject was brought up she wasn't taking the best care of herself and was struggling with depression but she has since turned her life around and I've seen a big difference in how she approaches life which led me to start the process. I know she can still live on dialysis but her life style will take a dramatic turn.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was a big decision to make on my part but I know I have a lot of support behind me.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.