Am I weird? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I weird?

I can't sleep in the same bed with someone, because of their breathing! Men especially breathe so loudly, but I have this problem on camping trips with women or whatever too. The only person I've ever been able to share close sleeping quarters with as an adult is my sister, but we grew up sharing a room so I figure I'm just immune to her breathing. Otherwise I've tried to share a bed with female friends, shared tents with female and male friends and family members, and lived with my ex-husband and recently moved in with my current partner, and the only way I can get to sleep with any of them is by either a)being drunk and falling into that drunk sleep (not something I make a habit of, to say the least); or b)going to bed earlier than them so I'm asleep by the time they fall asleep. Otherwise I have to have the TV or music on, so it drowns out or distracts me from their breathing.

So am I crazy? My girlfriends always say that being bothered by my partner's breathing is a sign that I don't like him, but I don't believe that for a second--I was happy with my ex for a long time, and I'm happier than I've ever been with my current boyfriend. It seems extreme, though, especially because I can easily sleep through my dogs moving around in bed, my partner coming to bed after I'm asleep, etc. It's just getting to sleep when someone is breathing loudly in an otherwise silent room that's the problem!

Am I alone here?

(also I know it's a goofy topic; it's just snowing outside and a slow day for work )
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

my husband snores, bad so bad he'd wake me up in the middle of the nite..

Well I fixed up the spare room for him and he's been there ever since He also goes to bed at 7 pm since he is at work at 3 am, I'm not ready for bed at 7, so helps that I have mine own room as well.

He doesn't like the dogs crowding the bed, and I do, so another reason LOL

Maybe I'm weird to, but I LIKE having my own room and not have to listen to someone snore, steal the covers, and can have the cats and dog on the bed as well:

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't mean to sound rude, but would it be a bit of a trust thing.
I am a bit the same, I HATE people touching me. So I find it hard to share a bed even with my best friends. But my dogs, no problem
I'm a social butterfly when it is on my own terms, but while I am vulnerable (sleeping) I don't like anyone near me. I don't know why, just me I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

No you aren't weird at all.

If my husband breathes too loudly at night I get annoyed and nudge him to make him turn over.

And I cannot CAN NOT stand it when anyone is breathing on my face. I don't know what it is. But it freaks me out. I feel like I can't breathe if someone elses breath is on my face. Doesn't matter who they are or how much I love them.

So if Husband is breathing on my face, either I have to turn over or I shove him to make turn over. lol
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think you're weird lol.
I'm surprised Matt hasn't kicked me out of the room yet for a similar reason. He is hyper-sensitive to my breathing (not because I'm loud but because we're mega-cuddly so we can feel each other's breathing). For some reason, I have times where, when I'm asleep, my breathing gets rapid then I just stop breathing.
This always wakes him up. Luckily, he wakes me up or pats my back to get me breathing again. Sometimes he does complain lol, though not often. But I'm sure he'll be kicking me to the couch soon

Last edited by GsdLoverr729; 01-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.
GsdLoverr729 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have the same issue with my husband. And he jerks in his sleep too so if I'm not asleep before him, I dont' sleep until I'm exhausted. Have you tried something to muffle the sound, like a pillow? And that is meant for over your ears, not his face!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm totally the opposite - I have trouble sleeping by myself when hubby has to travel for work though some times I wish he would sleep some where else when he gets to snoring good

We are all different - I don't know how any of my daughters friends sleep in the same bed with her because she moves like crazy and kicks and punches but maybe that is just at me

I think as long as your partner is okay with whatever your sleeping situation is, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I have the same issue with my husband. And he jerks in his sleep too so if I'm not asleep before him, I dont' sleep until I'm exhausted. Have you tried something to muffle the sound, like a pillow? And that is meant for over your ears, not his face!
Me too. I am a very light sleeper and every. breath. he takes makes noise! I run an air purifier nearby, but it doesn't muffle the sound. And that pillow does come in handy...but I don't use it for my ears
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well since we are sharing,here's my weird thing. I don't like for anyone to watch me when I am sleeping. I can always tell if there are eyes on me and usually turn the opposite direction. This includes waking up to dogs /cats staring at you.My husband couldn't understand this when we first started dated,because he said that he likes to sleep face/face.I just can't deal with it because it feels like I am smothering.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 01-14-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I do the same thing!

When my best friend and I were younger, we had a lot of sleepovers. She has bad asthma, so she would go from breathing very hard to breathing so softly that I couldn't hear her! I would stay up all night thinking she would stop breathing!

I think my trouble stems from that :P
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your friend. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.