Question for Homeowners??(Non GSD) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Its amazing how much taxes can be I found another house that is move in ready, not in the same town, but the taxes are 8600, how can taxes be that high. Aren't the taxes based on the purchase price of the house? The real estate agent told me that, but I can't see the taxes on a $170000 house being 8600..pretty depressing because in no way, shape, or form could I afford those taxes
That seems high. The taxes go by what the town assesses the property for. You can file an abatement if you purchase the house for less than what the town assesses it for. Also find out how many dollars per thousand the town charges for taxes, then you can make a pretty close guess as to what the taxes will be. For example my town charges $14.89 per thousand, so if you bought that house in my town for $170,000 then your taxes would be 2,531 a year.
Also, the taxes and homeowners insurance should be rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
First of all I love the look of the house. My husband and I purchased a ranch style home that was pretty much gutted from the inside out. The whole property was grown up and it took 10 months to get it totally redone.The actual construction wasn't too bad,but it is a pain when you plan certain things at your house and realize that it's not completed. If you have a good relationship with your contractor (if you use one),then it should go by pretty smooth.
I know...I love the house and the area is GREAT. The builder and architect gave me their cards...it would be about 75000 to add an two bedroom and 1 bath addition. I would make the kitchen bigger too. The appliances that are there are top of the line and its got my double oven It has lots of potential, but really the only thing I need to do right away is get that support fixed for the loft...they quoted me $5000.00 for that. The roof is good, the windows are good, and the yard is perfect.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Also, it looks like I saw a flat roof there as well... Those can be VERY tricky if not done properly. I have seen pics of a failed flat roof... standing water and cave-ins... its pretty horrible. Make sure your roof is ok as well is all im saying.

Good luck, it all sounds pretty exciting.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sadly taxes are based on the neighborhood. Lake properties~ the 2 bedroom seasonal cottages are taxed as much as the yr round homes that take up every inch of space on their lot.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
That seems high. The taxes go by what the town assesses the property for. You can file an abatement if you purchase the house for less than what the town assesses it for. Also find out how many dollars per thousand the town charges for taxes, then you can make a pretty close guess as to what the taxes will be. For example my town charges $14.89 per thousand, so if you bought that house in my town for $170,000 then your taxes would be 2,531 a year.
Also, the taxes and homeowners insurance should be rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.
Since this is unincorporated I would go to the county? I have the real estate guy investigating it, because it just doesn't seem right at all. If those takes were lower, that would be the house I would pick. I'm guessing since its the county, it's not going to go by town, but just the house itself.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

@llomardo:
Property taxes are determined by two primary factors. The first factor is the amount of money needed by the various taxing bodies (i.e. school districts, city and county taxes, fire departments, park districts, etc.). Once the assessments for a particular area are completed, these taxing bodies request money -- funds known as a levy.

The Cook County Clerk's Office uses the levy to calculate the tax rate, which in turn is used to determine your portion of the taxes. The geographic area where your property is located is categorized and given a tax code. Each and every property in a specific tax code (which can be several blocks or a few square miles) is taxed at the same rate.

The second primary factor determining your property tax bill is the assessment base, or the number of taxable properties in a tax code. To determine the tax rate for your property, the Clerk's Office takes divides the levy by the assessment base. This percentage then becomes the rate at which you are taxed.

The primary issue to remember about tax rates is that they are affected by the spending patterns of the various taxing bodies. The more money needed by the park district, the school district, police department and other taxing bodies, the higher your property taxes.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
Also, it looks like I saw a flat roof there as well... Those can be VERY tricky if not done properly. I have seen pics of a failed flat roof... standing water and cave-ins... its pretty horrible. Make sure your roof is ok as well is all im saying.

Good luck, it all sounds pretty exciting.
The architect mentioned this, part of the support that is needed is for that roof. Good eye you have...that is where the addition would be eventually so that roof would be gone, well that would be the plan
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
@llomardo:
Property taxes are determined by two primary factors. The first factor is the amount of money needed by the various taxing bodies (i.e. school districts, city and county taxes, fire departments, park districts, etc.). Once the assessments for a particular area are completed, these taxing bodies request money -- funds known as a levy.

The Cook County Clerk's Office uses the levy to calculate the tax rate, which in turn is used to determine your portion of the taxes. The geographic area where your property is located is categorized and given a tax code. Each and every property in a specific tax code (which can be several blocks or a few square miles) is taxed at the same rate.

The second primary factor determining your property tax bill is the assessment base, or the number of taxable properties in a tax code. To determine the tax rate for your property, the Clerk's Office takes divides the levy by the assessment base. This percentage then becomes the rate at which you are taxed.

The primary issue to remember about tax rates is that they are affected by the spending patterns of the various taxing bodies. The more money needed by the park district, the school district, police department and other taxing bodies, the higher your property taxes.
I just found two other homes in the area, both selling for more. One is 210,000 and the taxes are 7700, about the same amount of land. The second one is 180000 and the taxes are 5600..all three homes are comparable. Is it possible the house is in the wrong tax code?
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good luck!!!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't really know how taxes are assessed but just wanted to say it *was* a major deciding factor for us when we purchased two years ago. We narrowed it down to two homes that were listed at the same price (though very different) and one had way higher taxes, I want to say more than twice as much as the other (and granted the yard was a bit bigger). The two houses were both in the same "quadrant" of town about 5 miles from each other, but different cities/towns.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.