That age old math question: When will I have to use this :P - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default That age old math question: When will I have to use this :P

Haha! So Finals coming up and kinda worried about math. I'm going to study my butt of during the weekend (With some computer breaks) but I seem to always question myself when will I have to use f(x)=5x^4+8x^2-7x+20 to find the x-intercepts... I know we have to learn it for school but I really do want to know in what career does someone use this? (Because I would stay away from that job ) Haha! Engineer? I want to be a baker/chef not a rocket scientist What do you guys think? Only 2 1/2 more years of hard math thats what my thoughts are

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

All the math I learned (besides the basics) my teacher told me pau attention you WILL need this in the future a lot. She was a liar. I NEVER use math.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyKono View Post
Haha! So Finals coming up and kinda worried about math. I'm going to study my butt of during the weekend (With some computer breaks) but I seem to always question myself when will I have to use f(x)=5x^4+8x^2-7x+20 to find the x-intercepts... I know we have to learn it for school but I really do want to know in what career does someone use this? (Because I would stay away from that job ) Haha! Engineer? I want to be a baker/chef not a rocket scientist What do you guys think? Only 2 1/2 more years of hard math thats what my thoughts are
I'm a business major (marketing to be specific). I was told I needed to fully grasp College Algebra in order to function in Business Statistics. I took it over again because of this. I have to wonder though. How often will I need statistics if most marketing research is outsourced? But it's a required course for the degree, so I'm stuck with it. I've been using Khan Academy for some free help when I hit a wall. So far, I've been blessed with a good instructor too. And he happens to teach statistics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

NEVER! You will not need math/history/social studies/art or cursive in the future unless you specialize in something

My best friend moved to England in 7th grade and went to a private school. By 9th grade she got to choose which courses to take and which to drop, to better prepare for her future career
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
All the math I learned (besides the basics) my teacher told me pau attention you WILL need this in the future a lot. She was a liar. I NEVER use math.
I know except for basic math I don't think I'm going to need all this other math like finding x-intercepts and factoring things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLilyBean View Post
I'm a business major (marketing to be specific). I was told I needed to fully grasp College Algebra in order to function in Business Statistics. I took it over again because of this. I have to wonder though. How often will I need statistics if most marketing research is outsourced? But it's a required course for the degree, so I'm stuck with it. I've been using Khan Academy for some free help when I hit a wall. So far, I've been blessed with a good instructor too. And he happens to teach statistics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yeah every year they make the math a little different to teach them differently. Its frustrating because whatever you learn now will become outdated in about 5 years :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
NEVER! You will not need math/history/social studies/art or cursive in the future unless you specialize in something

My best friend moved to England in 7th grade and went to a private school. By 9th grade she got to choose which courses to take and which to drop, to better prepare for her future career
My french teacher told me about that. I wish I got to do that now. I didnt know what I wanted to be in 9th grade but I do now Or at least somewhere in that direction. Haha! Cursive. The only time I use cursive is when I sign my name and thats it. My english teacher rights in cursive and you can hardly read it.

-Will Rogers
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd say 90% of what you learn in school you never use. Evidenced by the fact that 'Are you smarter than a fifth grader?' exists. That show isn't an example of children being smarter than adults, it's an example of how much you are taught in school that you never need to know as an adult .

My husband is a computer engineer and even he doesn't use very much complex math. He's getting a second degree in computer science while he works full time as a software developer, and the math class that is required was teaching stuff he never, ever uses at his job.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It doesn't matter if you use what you learn, the point is to learn HOW to learn, how to focus, how to complete a task, how to study, how to retain information. You are working your brain like a muscle, which will help you later in life no matter what you are doing.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyKono View Post
I know except for basic math I don't think I'm going to need all this other math like finding x-intercepts and factoring things out.
I must mention, that this was my TRIGONOMETRY teacher. Yes, I definitely use trig to direct traffic. LOL.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I work in a technical field, and use math all the time, but knowing and memorizing forumulaes is not needed. What is needed for me is to UNDERSTAND the relationships and ratios and having a strong grasp of basic arithmetic and understanding the concepts of what the calculations mean, then I don't need no 'stinkin formulas, I can visualize the problem and figure it out myself!

I found math VERY hard in school, because I found that there was no underlying understanding as to WHY we were doing things a certain way. You were suppoosed to just memorize the steps of the calculations.

Once in a working environment, the training I received was showing me why we needed to calculate stuff, and how the different calculations all intermeshed logically, it all became easy and common sense.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
I'd say 90% of what you learn in school you never use. Evidenced by the fact that 'Are you smarter than a fifth grader?' exists. That show isn't an example of children being smarter than adults, it's an example of how much you are taught in school that you never need to know as an adult .

My husband is a computer engineer and even he doesn't use very much complex math. He's getting a second degree in computer science while he works full time as a software developer, and the math class that is required was teaching stuff he never, ever uses at his job.
Haha! Not a lot of people were smarter than a fifth grader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
It doesn't matter if you use what you learn, the point is to learn HOW to learn, how to focus, how to complete a task, how to study, how to retain information. You are working your brain like a muscle, which will help you later in life no matter what you are doing.
I know. Its a good learning experience on how to learn and how to remember important information. Its very good workout (for your brain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I must mention, that this was my TRIGONOMETRY teacher. Yes, I definitely use trig to direct traffic. LOL.
Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I work in a technical field, and use math all the time, but knowing and memorizing forumulaes is not needed. What is needed for me is to UNDERSTAND the relationships and ratios and having a strong grasp of basic arithmetic and understanding the concepts of what the calculations mean, then I don't need no 'stinkin formulas, I can visualize the problem and figure it out myself!

I found math VERY hard in school, because I found that there was no underlying understanding as to WHY we were doing things a certain way. You were suppoosed to just memorize the steps of the calculations.

Once in a working environment, the training I received was showing me why we needed to calculate stuff, and how the different calculations all intermeshed logically, it all became easy and common sense.
Ugh the formulas! I hate them! Thats nice to know that once you find a reason why you needed to calculate things that you found it easier than in school.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.