Do You Tip At Restaurants? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLilyBean View Post
Absolutely! 20% is the starting point. It goes up or down depending on service... but never below 15%. If we really have an issue, we get a manager. Both my fiancé and I work in the restaurant industry. We know how it is. Servers would PREFER that you go to a manager about a problem, even if it also comes with a low or nonexistent tip. The thing is, people generally stiff waitstaff for a myriad of reasons, including those unrelated to the quality of the service. Oftentimes, the server walks away never understanding what they did wrong (or if they did wrong)... and the good ones want to know so that they can improve. IMHO stiffing waitstaff and not making the issue known is a very passive aggressive way to handle things. Nine times out of ten, if you get a manager involved, you'll leave happy instead of seething.

As far as tipping/wage laws in the US, I've actually considered writing my representatives about it. The tipping system is fine. It's the required tip outs to positions like the hostess that I find unfair. In both the restaurants we work in, the tip out is predetermined and not open for dispute. In other words, the non-waitstaff get tipped no matter how poorly they work. They should be held to the same standard as servers or get a regular hourly wage. One or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
This is true, sometimes when no matter what I do as a server, I can not make the custmer happy, I will go and tell the manager myself. I have waited tables for over 30 years because it was a good part time job while parenting my 6 kids and then doing daycare for my 8 grandchildren and you can make good money in less hours in the right place. Have been where I am now for 24 years. I do hate the way some people look down on you because you wait tables. I also do all the landscapping at my job and people love my gardens but I feel when I am outside in the garden. working in the dirt, I get more respect than inside. Funny how that works.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If the service is poor 10%. If no alcohol is served, 15%. If there is alcohol, 20%. Generally I don't drink. If the service is excellent 20 - 25%.

But who has money to go out to eat these days?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #63 (permalink)

@midnight - It is kinda funny how that is. That's why I tend to be super friendly with ANY person in a customer service position. Maybe I'm just trying to compensate for the ones that treat them like trash, but everyone loves a smile and some eye contact every now and then.

@selzer - No kidding! One thing's for sure. My cooking has improved over the last few years with all the extra practice.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Absolutely! 20% is the starting point. It goes up or down depending on service... but never below 15%.
Why would you pay 15% to someone who isn't doing their job? If you took your dog to the groomers and when you picked him up he was still covered with matted fur would you pay the groomer? If you hired a painter to paint your house green and he painted your house pink would you still pay him? It is the same thing. Included in the price of my dinner is the basic service. Wait staff can earn extra by keeping my drinks filled and my needs met. If they don't perform the most basic service like getting my order correct, and keep my drink refilled then they don't deserve 15%.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You know what annoys me? Is the "side work" I see some wait staff have to perform....... Breaking down salad bars, running loads through the dishwashers..... Just does not seem right.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #66 (permalink)

@shepherdmom - Because of the forced tipouts.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #67 (permalink)

It depends on the service. If I have a really bad waitress or waiter I will leave one penny on the table for a tip. I have only done that two times for absolutely horrible service and the server being rude. Tips start at 10% for waiters. So if I go in for something that is small and I did not require lots of service for what I got I will do 10%. For a full meal we usually do 15%-20%.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #68 (permalink)
Elite Member

My question to those that will "leave a penny" - why? It accomplishes nothing besides pissing off the server.

Why not speak to the management, to correct the problem?

Heck, my wife and I go to a (amazing) local steakhouse twice a month, for virtually 6 year straight now. We almost always have amazing service.

About 4 months ago, we went and had a terrible time. We asked to talk to the OWNER who was there, and everything got sorted out, quickly.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #69 (permalink)

I guess I've been lucky that I've never had terrible service. One time we had a kid that was clearly on his first day. He kept forgetting things or bringing the wrong thing and was really apologetic and flustered, so we gave him a HUGE tip A few times we've had a manager come to our table and explain we were getting free meals or a complimentary dessert because the food was too slow. In each case we never really noticed and would not have complained. I've also had a waitress send back a pizza because she said it was burned and would not serve it. She gave us a free appetizer while we waited.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #70 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
@shepherdmom - Because of the forced tipouts.
?? So you are going to pay someone for not doing their job? I don't get it.

smith3: We were treated rudely. The only time I've ever done it the waitress was given chance after chance to fix the problem and only got nastier and nastier. I have no problem letting her know exactly what I thought of her by leaving a penny. BTW we did talk to the management and we were one of many complaints he had on her. It sounded like he was planning on firing her but he might just have been trying to placate us. Who knows. This way she knew exactly what we thought of her. At least, so long as some poor misguided person didn't come pick up the penny, so she wouldn't feel bad.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.