Do You Tip At Restaurants? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
The funny thing is, you are "that guy" and don't even know it. The person the servers moan about the second you walk in the door. Anyone who would leave a penny just to spite someone instead of being an adult is the type of person servers hate to wait on.

I had the absolute worst service of my life, and the waiter was a jerk to top it. Know what I did? I used my big girl words and asked the manager for a new waiter.
Going to the manager seems a lot meaner since that would get them in trouble. Leaving a penny is a discreet way of telling them they did a bad enough job that you are choosing not to tip and that they should do better next time. If you go to a manager they could lose their job. At least leaving a penny gives them a chance to do better.

I just don't really understand why restaurant owners don't increase prices on their menu to cover the cost of tips and abolish tipping altogether. If people are tipping for crappy service anyway why not just pay your servers more . Tipping cultures are so annoying because what ends up being about rewarding someone for going above and beyond the call of duty ends up just being a meaningless bribe for them to not spit in your food. And I don't really understand how it only applies to some jobs like servers, drivers, hair dressers, etc but not other jobs where someone has given you exceptional help. People who work at fast food places are chefs and servers all at the same time, it's weird that they don't get tips.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Exclamation

ENOUGH!! The personal attacks will stop NOW or warnings will be sent. And don't try the "I didn't see your post before I posted" stuff. Warnings will still be sent.

ADMIN Lisa
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Always. Bad food - I still leave a tip. Also leave a tip for slow service due to short staff or new server or what looks like general chaos.

Only time I will leave less than 15% (usually leave 20% or more) is for VERY RUDE BEHAVIOR, and I even account for the fact that everyone has a bad day, but I think we all know the difference between "I'm having a bad day" and "I'm just a rude jerk."

Truly rude jerks get $50 cents to a dollar, but I've probably done that two or three times in the last 30 years.

Last edited by Jo_in_TX; 01-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Jo_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Syaoransbear - waitressing used to be a money maker. When I waitressed, we made about $2/hr + tips. If the tips did not equal at least minimum wage then the employer had to supplement our income. Then the government decided to tax tips. At that point, we had to tally our sales, including take out orders that you never get tips on, and we had to report a % of the sales. What happened was many nights we were claiming more than we actually made.

Because I know this...it's very hard for me to justify NOT tipping. Even when the service is bad, I leave something because everyone can have a bad day at some point. It has to be absolutely atrocious for me to stiff the wait staff. What bothers me is when the wait staff has to split their tips with other waiters or with kitchen staff. If I know that, I leave a small tip on the table and hand the real tip to the waiter

What many places will do is add gratuity to the bill. They add the tip to the bill, it's not negotiable, and the wait staff comes out with a good income.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll tip as long as there isn't a huge mess up. Sorry...if you mess up your job, you don't deserve to get a tip. Everything comes with consequences. I'll generally not talk to a manager unless there is some huge huge huge issue, and I've never had to do that. I won't leave a tip, but I'll go back to a restaurant if I enjoyed the food. I get the fact that sometimes people make mistakes/have bad days, but it doesn't mean I need to still pay them when they make a mistake.

Like if a server forgets to put in a meal for one person out of my group, and then realizes it only after the food is brought out or someone at the table mentions it to them. I don't believe you deserve a tip...I mean, the person has to sit there and wait another 10 minutes while the people either eat or they wait for that person to get their food and the food on the table gets cold.

If I mess up in my job, there are consequences, and I can't use "bad day" or "swamped" as an excuse.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Syaoransbear - waitressing used to be a money maker. When I waitressed, we made about $2/hr + tips. If the tips did not equal at least minimum wage then the employer had to supplement our income. Then the government decided to tax tips. At that point, we had to tally our sales, including take out orders that you never get tips on, and we had to report a % of the sales. What happened was many nights we were claiming more than we actually made.

Because I know this...it's very hard for me to justify NOT tipping. Even when the service is bad, I leave something because everyone can have a bad day at some point. It has to be absolutely atrocious for me to stiff the wait staff. What bothers me is when the wait staff has to split their tips with other waiters or with kitchen staff. If I know that, I leave a small tip on the table and hand the real tip to the waiter

What many places will do is add gratuity to the bill. They add the tip to the bill, it's not negotiable, and the wait staff comes out with a good income.
But it's not like that here. Waitressing is still a money maker here. My cousin makes a tonne being a waitress and is forgoing secondary education because she doesn't see the point when she already makes so much. But that's because she gets $10/hr plus tips. And she's pretty. Good looks will get you better tips than good service unfortunately.

Yeah I never understood splitting the tips between people, because that means someone doesn't even need to do a good job to get a tip and they can ride on the coat tails of an exceptional server.

Last edited by Syaoransbear; 01-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree about increases in food to cover tipping.

In Canada wait staff make minimum wages. My friends son brags how he makes $25 to $30 an hour as a waiter in milestones or canyon creek type of restaurant. He expects tips. Thinks its his right. Think those that leave 15% are cheap. Loves the money so much he has not bothered to get a job after he graduated university.

Then I've heard the comment that the staff talk about you if you do not tip up to their standards and serve accordingly. Ok I'm sure that's a small percentage but there is an attitude.

My daughter was a waitress and she would tell me stories about what the staff, and management would say.

They feel entitled to a good tip because they are there, doing their job.

Sometimes the tips go directly to the management too. Not right.

I do tip by the way, but wish the system was different.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
And I don't really understand how it only applies to some jobs like servers, drivers, hair dressers, etc but not other jobs where someone has given you exceptional help.
Yep, I do 100% service and we're not allowed to accept tips. Well, except one time someone had already ordered and paid for a pizza so we ate it. Not only do I not GET tips but any customer I deal with has the opportunity to survey me and it goes directly to my boss.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon View Post
I agree about increases in food to cover tipping.

In Canada wait staff make minimum wages. My friends son brags how he makes $25 to $30 an hour as a waiter in milestones or canyon creek type of restaurant. He expects tips. Thinks its his right. Think those that leave 15% are cheap. Loves the money so much he has not bothered to get a job after he graduated university.

Then I've heard the comment that the staff talk about you if you do not tip up to their standards and serve accordingly. Ok I'm sure that's a small percentage but there is an attitude.

My daughter was a waitress and she would tell me stories about what the staff, and management would say.

They feel entitled to a good tip because they are there, doing their job.

Sometimes the tips go directly to the management too. Not right.

I do tip by the way, but wish the system was different.
I've also noticed the attitude that your friend's son possesses. My husband's coworker once had a waiter chase him down the street and demand more money because he didn't give a good enough tip. I hate the sense of entitlement to get a generous tip for doing the bare minimum, which is what the hourly wage pays for.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
I've also noticed the attitude that your friend's son possesses. My husband's coworker once had a waiter chase him down the street and demand more money because he didn't give a good enough tip. I hate the sense of entitlement to get a generous tip for doing the bare minimum, which is what the hourly wage pays for.
Not sure where you're at, but around here waiters can make as little as $2.00.... I will always leave at least 15%... if the service was horrible, ill just not go back... Austin has a ton of great restaurants ... places without good service don't last long.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.