Do You Tip At Restaurants? - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #121 (permalink)

I just left the smallest tip ever in the Sushi Restaurant that we've been going to for a while now. I tipped $5.00 on a $55 dollar bill. My husband and I went out for his birthday.

The guy didn't ask us how our meal was (it was NOT GOOD) he never asked if I wanted my saki re-warmed, never asked my husband if he wanted a new beer. Didn't acknowledge us at all except to drop off food. Had to wave at him and call him over to get new rolls. Asked him for extra wasabi, never got it.

This was a Thursday night, and it wasn't busy. I was upset with the food, and the service. No reason he couldn't have come over at least once to see how we were doing. I left the amount of the tip, that the tax came up to. ( 10 percent)

I didn't want to leave a tip at all.
Snickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #122 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thruth is I don't care if we wait on tables or check someone out on a cashier line, I do not want a bad attitude. And I have stuck up for people that were mistreated in both situations if need be. Because I was a customer (and worker) too
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #123 (permalink)
Master Member

I have never had service so bad that I wouldn't tip. If I am completely happy with the service and have the money, I always tip $5. If the bill is $40 or $10, it doesn't matter, I like to tip $5. If the service is poor, I give less. Once I only gave a dollar because the service was pretty bad, but I didn't not leave a tip because the place was really busy and I felt slightly bad for the guy who was overwhelmed. He was rude though.
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #124 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
I have never had service so bad that I wouldn't tip. If I am completely happy with the service and have the money, I always tip $5. If the bill is $40 or $10, it doesn't matter, I like to tip $5. If the service is poor, I give less. Once I only gave a dollar because the service was pretty bad, but I didn't not leave a tip because the place was really busy and I felt slightly bad for the guy who was overwhelmed. He was rude though.
you would only leave 5 bucks on a 40 or more tab?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #125 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I will be the first to say on a $40 dollar tab(leave five bucks), please do not eat out again. Learn how to cook

Last edited by harmony; 01-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #126 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good thing you do not eat where I do, 15 to 20% on the bill, then some!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #127 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Percentage tipping makes absolutely no sense anyway. I'm sure a server at a low-priced restaurant works just as hard as a server at an expensive restaurant. It's roughly the same job, the menu prices are just different. The cost of the food on the plate doesn't make it more difficult to bring to the table.

I always, always have poor service at japanese places. On thursday we went to a sushi place, a nice one, not the all-you-can-eat kind. I was thirsty so the second I got my water I guzzled it. It remained empty until we got our bill. She also got part of my order wrong(the entire reason I wanted to go there was for their tuna belly nigiri) and gave me some shrimp thing. They get in their ingredients fresh daily, so occasionally they run out of certain ingredients before the end of the night. By the time our entrees came and I noticed my tuna belly nigiri was not present, they had run out of tuna belly.

We also had to remind her repeatedly that we had ordered tempura, and that didn't come until the people we were dining with had already left.

I kind of expect that though, just because the language barrier can be confusing and it's likely the serving customs here are different from japan. That's probably the only time where my tips won't really reflect how I felt about their service.

On new years eve we went to a fine dining place, and I was extremely annoyed that the drink I ordered the moment we got there didn't come until desert(we always have 3 courses, so that was roughly about 1.5-2 hours later). I kept giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, thinking that surely my drink my coming and I shouldn't bug him about it. And that maybe hot chocolate was somehow really difficult to make, so I didn't say anything. But my SIL, a champion complainer, asked the guy about my drink when our appetizers came, and again when our entree came. And both times he's like "oh yeah it's still being prepared." Really? It takes 2 hours to make hot chocolate? Even from scratch it doesn't take that long. I could have ran over to starbucks and it would have been faster.

I actually think our server was drunk. When we wanted to leave, we couldn't find any employees. The bartender was gone and all of the servers were gone as well. We had to actually go into the kitchen to find anyone so we could pay our bill, and they were all in there drinking alcohol and eating. That place has extraordinary food and their prices reflect that, but their service is often poor. So I really hate tipping based on percent there. I definitely don't feel like our server earned that $200 tip at all. Sorry but I don't think the kind of work this guy was doing justified a $200 tip for 2.5 hours of work. That's like what veterinarians make. Or psychiatrists. People with medical training.

I'd rather tipping be based on amount of hours they spent serving you rather than the amount of money your food cost, because the price of the food is so irrelevant to the service you receive. Plus you have those people who order something cheap and then spend 3 hours drinking free coffee and taking up a table, so that doesn't seem fair either.

Last edited by Syaoransbear; 01-13-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #128 (permalink)

I always tip. I even leave something in the tip jar at a Dunking Donuts. My wife says Im too generous and she is probably right. That explains why Im always broke.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #129 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
I definitely don't feel like our server earned that $200 tip at all. Sorry but I don't think the kind of work this guy was doing justified a $200 tip for 2.5 hours of work. That's like what veterinarians make. Or psychiatrists. People with medical training.
Jayney Mack!!!! $200 for a tip!! OUCH.

Was that a Michelin Star restaurant?
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #130 (permalink)

I always tip unless my service is REALLY bad then I'll leave a small amount.

The only time I can really recall we had the worst service ever, was a pizza rest we had never eaten at before..4 of us, 2 got their meals before us 2, then we were told that they "forgot" to put our order in! It would be another 20 mins,,ok,,we get it and it's BURNT to a crisp!

Needless to say, we waited about 2 hours for our food, the waitress never asked us if we wanted anything while waiting, in fact basically avoided us, never said, "sorry for the mix up we'll knock 5 bucks off your bill"..

I was po'd for sure, I think I left a buck and also left a bad review on their website

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.