Can't sleep.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Can't sleep..

Anxious over this surgery I am getting next week. I am terrified of being put to sleep and being cut open and the pain. I have been avoiding this for a long time, and I'm worried the day will come and ill chicken out! Seriously though, I'm terrified. Never had a surgery or anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

whats the surgery for?

I don't blame you for being nervous. It's intimidating. Surgery is intimidating. I've had two c-sections; one an emergency C and the other planned. I know that is likely not even close to what you're going in for but it's intimidating and scary all the time. I think I spent so much time, even thoroughly exhausted from 20 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing, that I still managed to psych myself out so much I made things worse. When all was said and done, I really did psych myself out both times and it wasn't near as bad as my mind tried to make it out to be.

Just remember to breath and stay positive. Listen to music if it'll help to relax you. Its nerve wracking but you can do this.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've never had surgery either and I am a big giant chicken but I do have to go to the dentist every three months for a deep cleaning(I know so not even comparable lol)... I shake like a leaf literally every time while I'm waiting for the procedure and then I get the gas and am either in lala land or knocked out and it's never as bad as I imagine...

My point is it'll be scary while you're waiting but then you'll be under and it'll be all over. Granted there will probably be some pain afterwards but hey maybe you'll get some happy drugs.

But I hope it's nothing serious!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have had multiple surgeries (2 c-sections, 1 lipoma on back removed, 1 hysterectomy, and one bone pinned). And other things that put you in a "zone" like colonoscopies. The c-sections were not general anesthesia but the others were.

Pain has always been well managed. If you are staying overnight it is always good to have someone there with you 24/7 as the biggest issue is getting a nurse when you want one or just having someone to watch out for you since you may be groggy.

That is the big thing to me - have a support person any time you are in a hospital. Pain is also something you only remember for a short time! My most painful experience in life so far did not involve surgery at all .... it was a kidney stone and it beat out all those surgeries by a long shot.

Anesthesia - I think it depends on the kind of response you have to feeling altered/out of control. I found it to be rather pleasant and others terrifying. I would talk with them about that based on your feelings as I think they can give stuff like valium in advance to help ease the day.

Talk is your friend. Lots of folks have fears of these things. My husband and youngest daughter are needlephobic to the point of it being a bit embarrasing and hospitals are used to this kind of thing. If you get an insensitive nurse on any emotional distress have your "helper" step in.

I am not going to ask about your surgery but hope all works out well for you. These days anesthesias are very safe and pain management is very good. Except for the c-sections they always had a morphine pump you could press to control your own pain within limits. I only had tylenol after the c-sections (my choice, I was breastfeeding) and even that was minimal. I refused the demerol or whatever it was they offered and it really was not that bad.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-10-2013 at 04:05 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I used to be terrified of dentists probably because back in Russia they didn't numb me to do dental work it was so horrible my mom and my grandma used to hold me while dentist would do the work, anyway here in USA the fear still continued I would sit in dentist chair and shake and sweat and cry, it was really embarrassing. It wasn't until I had to go through surgery on gums, the surgeon told me he can put me to sleep but surgery was short and I decided to just deal with it. On the day of the surgery I prayed when I sit down in a chair and saw all their equipment I didn't freak out like I usually would(to the point I start feeling nauseous) instead God took my fear away it was amazing, ever since that day I don't care about dentists. My surgeon asked me if I took any muscle relaxants before surgery because I remained so calm. I don't know if you are religious person but I hope my experience helps you. The only way to get over fear is to face it and of course with God anything is possible. You will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

it's ok to be nervous. you can't chicken out. your dog
needs you. don't worry about the pain. there's meds
for pain (yummy) and the pain (if there's any) will be minimal.
good luck, you're going to be fine.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Relating to the experience. One thing to ask for when you are getting ready to be rolled into surgery is to ask for warm blankets to be placed everywhere on your body where they are not operating. Operating rooms are cold and you are on a metal table.

My first C-section I have zero memory of pain afterwards but I do remember shivering from being cold for hours and hours. Warm blankets ever since have done great things. And they are also calming (unless the weight of them is distressing, which THAT is for some)

They keep the warm blankets for this and for the recovery room at all hospitals.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've never been afraid of surgery, I've always thought of it as finally being pain free! You've had some great info here, so I'll just pass on my good wishes for a speedy recovery, and hope all goes well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I react to anesthesia so unfortunately I've never had a fully easy experience but here are the things I've found that helps:

1. A nurse is assigned to you specifically, they are a great form of support because they're with you before, during, and after. I even had one nurse hold my hand throughout a procedure where I wasn't unconscious and she told me to squeeze as hard as I wanted if it hurt or I got nervous. She told me jokes and kept my mind off what was happening, she was a true gem

2. Talk it over with your doctor fully, no question is stupid and the more information you have the easier it is to understand every part of the procedure. I found not having any unknowns helped me relax

3. Be honest about what you need to be comfortable, whether it's a warm blanket, or you just need a moment for everything to stop so you can breathe again. The staff is there to help make the procedure as easy as possible

Hopefully it'll be a quick and painless procedure and you'll be back home and recovered quickly

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had CABG x4 in August of 2010. There was no pain and you are such a deep sleep there is nothing you can remember after they administer the anesthetic.

Whatever they are doing to you , you will never know it.

After the anesthesia wears off, you might experience some soreness but they will prescribe meds for pain management if neccesary.

I was prescribed 800 mg of Ibuprofin, but I only took it twice in the first few days I was home. That was more or less because my ribs and sternum was sore.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.