Can't sleep.. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Having had my wisdom teeth surgically removed (not my only surgery, but most relevant to this) my biggest advice is to follow instructions afterward. I always ate before I took my pain meds and I didn't get sick. My brother would drink some water, or some such thing, and threw up every time. I'm not saying a full blown meal is necessary, but if they tell you to eat before you take your meds, do it. Also, I don't know if you're a smoker, but I am and they tell you don't smoke for x amount of days, and I would advise laying off any sucking motions (straw, cigarette, etc.) for even longer than they say. I got dry socket, and that was WAY worse than the actual teeth removal. It was short lived pain, granted, but it still sucked. The only thing I didn't like about the whole ordeal was A) I don't like being on pain meds. I don't like that loopy/out of control feeling B) I hate being put under because until that stuff wears off I'm like a different person. C) the dry socket.

I also advocate having someone with you that can pay attention to whether or not your in pain, and act accordingly. I was so out of it at first, until the pain hit really strongly I wouldn't have taken medicine; luckily my mom was there to keep me on a regular schedule of medicine so it wasn't too terrible.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I had my wisdom teeth taken out under anesthesia, but not my jaw shaved. It was much better than going in the hospital. I went to sleep and I felt like I woke up 5 minutes later and it was all done. I don't remember having much pain after surgery, just remember keeping ice on my cheeks and that seemed to work.
That's how I recall it as well. Not fun but not as bad as I expected. The worst part is you will look like a blowfish for a couple days
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieC View Post
That's how I recall it as well. Not fun but not as bad as I expected. The worst part is you will look like a blowfish for a couple days
This is true, and I hope that is the worst part!! Haha! Im just happy i'll be off for a few days from work (i scheduled the surgery for a thursday so I also have the weekend off), so ill get some quality puppy time in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieShepherdGirl View Post
Having had my wisdom teeth surgically removed (not my only surgery, but most relevant to this) my biggest advice is to follow instructions afterward. I always ate before I took my pain meds and I didn't get sick. My brother would drink some water, or some such thing, and threw up every time. I'm not saying a full blown meal is necessary, but if they tell you to eat before you take your meds, do it. Also, I don't know if you're a smoker, but I am and they tell you don't smoke for x amount of days, and I would advise laying off any sucking motions (straw, cigarette, etc.) for even longer than they say. I got dry socket, and that was WAY worse than the actual teeth removal. It was short lived pain, granted, but it still sucked. The only thing I didn't like about the whole ordeal was A) I don't like being on pain meds. I don't like that loopy/out of control feeling B) I hate being put under because until that stuff wears off I'm like a different person. C) the dry socket.

I also advocate having someone with you that can pay attention to whether or not your in pain, and act accordingly. I was so out of it at first, until the pain hit really strongly I wouldn't have taken medicine; luckily my mom was there to keep me on a regular schedule of medicine so it wasn't too terrible.
Not a smoker, but definitely dont want dry socket, so I will avoid any sucking motions. Dry socket sounds so painful. Ill have my mother home with me the day of, and the next day i'm sure my sister will be over hangin out with me. And thanks, i'll def. follow the post op instructions! Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Well I know where you are in this! I had three of my wisdom teeth pulled December 8th. Literally the day after my birthday. I'd had pain on my birthday and ended up as an emergency walk-in the morning of the 8th. I hadn't been to a dentist since I was about 9 or 10 because of a HORRIBLE experience. Seriously, they had me on nitrious and it was cranked. They also had to load me on novacaine. I have extra nerves in my mouth and I burn through the meds faster than most people. It was an experience I'm glad I don't have to repeat because two of the three were pretty difficult to extract and I was on soft foods and in some pretty intense pain the first week. the second week I was more functional but still hurting. The two difficult teeth actually had bone growing between the roots so he had to break that bone. Was kinda cool to see actually once the tooth was out. I know I did much better when the dentist and the assistant were talking to me about what they were doing.

I do still have that 4th wisdom tooth that I need to see an oral surgeon to yank. I'm avoiding it but I know it needs to be done. I do have some cavities I'm getting taken care of before I suck it up make the appointment with the oral surgeon. When its all done though, you'll feel much better. My dentist is really big on pain management and called every other day for the first week to check and see how I was doing. The other dentists in the office are really great as well so my fear of dentists has been eased slightly but I still get nervous and jittery.

Best wishes! You can do this!
Ow, sounds painful! Glad those teeth are out though! I dont know if mine have bone growing over them, or if they are actually embedded in my jaw, but either way he is shaving down the jaw bone to get them out, so I think it will be similar to yours. He said he also has to break the teeth into a few pieces to get them out. The oral surgeon seemed pretty awesome, and answered my ten million questions about the IV, anesthesia, procedure, etc etc etc hahahah, so that did calm my nerves a bit. But i feel ya, I hate dentists, and get nervous/jittery as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
You will be ok, I just know it God Bless You!! I told anyone and everyone not to give medication thru my last surgery. I went to Christian hospital the last few times and did not have a hard time waking up and they never gave more med then I needed
Thank you! Glad your last surgerys went so well! Hope mine is the same.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

So, tomorrow is the day I'm not going to lie, I'm still terrified. I have had constant anxiety all day... but, there's no turning back. LOL I know after i'll be like "oh it wasnt that bad" (I hope) but right now, tomorrow is going to be me experiencing a bunch of unknowns, and that is nerve racking. I have never even had stitches or an IV! Or even a tooth pulled! Anyways, really hoping its not as bad as i'm assuming, i've been psyching myself out. I bought Berbear a big ol meaty bone to keep him somewhat occupied tomorrow (lets hope).
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try not to worry so, you won't remember a thing.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good luck ... hope it goes well for you and that you'll soon be feeling great!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Can't sleep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Try not to worry so, you won't remember a thing.
This is true, I did not remember a thing. Last thing I remember was telling the surgeon about my puppy and I was off to snooze town.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Can't sleep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
Good luck ... hope it goes well for you and that you'll soon be feeling great!!!
Thank you it went well, not as bad as I was expecting! My jaw just really hurts because they shaved it down.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Glad it went well! Do you look like a chipmunk?
I know when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed I looked like a chipmunk for 3 days.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Can't sleep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
Glad it went well! Do you look like a chipmunk?
I know when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed I looked like a chipmunk for 3 days.
Thanks! Haha yes I do, and I'm sure by tomorrow it will be even worse! I just wish i could eat more than yogurt at the moment, I'm so hungry!

Berlin has been a good boy and came up on my bed and gave me kisses, and was sniffing my face and mouth lol I think he knows something's up!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.