Harry Potter fans - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow how different everyone is. I love them all, but I think the fifth is my favorite. I love the Umbridge character. Anyone who has ever had a tyrannical or mean spirited teacher, its fun to see how the kids work together against her, and the other staff does too. But that one I think is the longest and it really gets into a lot, like how Petunia Dursley knows more about the wizard's world than she let on, the house of Black and the rest of the order of the Phoenix, the ministry of magic from the hearing to Fudge, to the department of mysteries. And then Hagrid's little brother.

I love the sneak jinx and the charm Hermione put on the coins. I think her part was better in this book than some of the others, though in all I like her part. And the thestrals, though I don't understand why Harry didn't notice them at the end of the 4th book when they were waiting for the carriages.

At the end, just a hint of life after death, of course coming from Luna Lovegood might have been a jab at religion, but I thought it fit, also the veil in the department of mysteries.

I like that Dumbledore did not choose Harry as the Prefect, the OWLs -- just an all around great book.

I was thinking today that the first book was a great introduction and still a kids' book. And I also liked the third book.

As for the movies, well the first and the second I didn't care for, I liked the third, I am trying to remember the fourth. Last night I watched the fifth for the first time. I have tried to get through the sixth and the seventh movies but haven't yet. I have them, and I will. I think the fifth would have been difficult to follow if I hadn't practically memorized the book already.

I didn't like the seventh book as much because I really like the setting of the school.

The whole series has me hoping she will write a sequal, perhaps Harry's secondary education. But I suppose that is what a good story does, it keeps you wanting more. It's funny having an author that isn't dead yet that I like. I mean, I have everything that JRR Tolkein wrote, and wished there could have been more to Middle Earth, but as he is dead, there is no way for that to happen.

When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes, the people were in an uproar, I think he had to publish memoirs, and then the Return of Sherlock Holmes, where he actually wasn't dead after all. But reading them so many years after the Author's Death, well, I am pretty much done.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Half-blood Prince!

Ronnie says when the world goes "Fahrenheit 451" I will be that book lol
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Favorite book: The Half Blood Prince
Favorite Movie: The Order of the Phoenix

And the Hunger Games is awesome!
Del's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know if I can pick just one! I'm a HP fiend!

I guess I love the first one, for getting me into the series. I'm going to reread all of them soon, then maybe I can answer which book is the most touching.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

prisoner of azkaban, i loved that harry finally acquired a family member. I also loved how hermione turned back time, and the whole faulks episode. i could almost imagine myself flying on his back, and loved when his talans where touching the water. i could go on and on about harry potter and how much ive enjoyed reading the books and watching the movies.
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh my.

The 3rd- I loved the introduction of Sirius and Lupin and learning the story of Harry's dad and his friends, their lives at school and how deep their friendship went.

The 5th- Seeing Harry start to take the role of a leader, starting to come into his own and of course all of the hijinks of the twins. Also loved to see Hermione and Ron also begin to grow and come into their own as well.

The 6th- learning all about Tom Riddle- just wow.

The 7th- Snape, how Harry finally defeated Voldemort. The fact they actually lost major characters (sniff, sniff). And of course learning Dumbledore was really human (sort of, you know what I mean)

LOL, maybe you should have asked which ones I didn't like as much!

I miss those books. J K Rowling is such an amazing writer, the world she created was so incredible, so believable. I just love those books. The movies were good but they really don't touch the books.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I do not like going to the movies but I do go when I have to. I liked the "Avengers" so much I went twice. I would love to see a second one of that
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Favorite book Order of the Phoenix and favorite movie Prisoner of Azekaban.Im a series buff and I preorder certain writers releases. I definitely did that w/ the last 4 Rowlings books.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post

I guess I love the first one, for getting me into the series. I'm going to reread all of them soon, then maybe I can answer which book is the most touching.
Here's a tip, don't read them, LISTEN to them. I've listened to the entire series narrated by Stephen Fry and the first and the last book narrated by Jim Dale (trying to get the rest). Listening to the last book by Jim Dale was *better* than reading it for the first time AND watching BOTH movies, combined. There's a lot of debate over which man did a better job. I won't be able to choose! IMO listening to the series, you pick up on so many more things, even if you've read every book twice and seen all the movies ten times. I can't call myself a true fan until I've finished listening to them both (and I'm getting an HP themed tattoo which I've had planned for almost a year).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Buy Movies at Movies Unlimited - The Movie Collector's Site
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.