Calling all members with Laminate Wood Floors!! Opinions needed here! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #41 (permalink)

If you had a choice I would install laminate over hardwood. Even though hardwood will add value, it scratches very easily and if it looks bad due to the scratches and you have to sell you house - all some one else is going to see is the scratches and what they are going to have to do to fix it - ie refinishing. I would stick with the laminate because it holds up great to the dog and cat nails and looks almost as good as brand new hardwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #42 (permalink)

Unhappy Hi!

When my GSD was only six months old, we left him alone in the yard for only an hour becuase we wanted him to learn to be independent. Well! When we got back, he had pulled out the border siding of the house and entire bottom strip! After that he has been an angel. It's hard when they are little. They can get into just about anything.
vonaxle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #43 (permalink)

We've got wood and our house is 75 years old. The wood looks original. It's not even a real *hard* hardwood. So I guess it holds up!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

We have 3 dogs and we love having wood laminate. We put in the cheapest wood laminate you can get from Ikea over 6 years ago and it looks just fine. It doesn't scratch like hardwood and it is very easy to clean. I would never have hard wood or carpet with dogs and kids.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow, lots to think about. Thanks everyone for all the awesome replies and pictures!! I'm still super nervous about the cleaning part. Seems to be something I'll have to go out of my way to do (compared to my tile). If it's best with the dogs though... It all depends on how everything lasts through these beasts!

We are sitting down today with another company to get some quotes as well. They seem to be a bit cheaper and they are also family owned and run... which, anytime I can support a local company, I will. They also have some great guarantees and their work has been great (we were introduced to them by a few friends who've also used them before). We are going to get it ALL quoted today by them... tile, hardwood, and laminate. See what we come up with. They are also bringing some samples.... as if I haven't already seen enough of this stuff!!

I still think laminate is going to be the best for the price... but, I'm always willing to hear some other ideas. My SO is also pretty stubborn and being artistic like he is, super picky... so I'm sure I'll be hearing a LOT more of these "sales pitches" before these floors get pulled up. Still looking at the next few weeks though. Here we go again...
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

One more thing--when they lay it make sure they take off the old baseboards and replace with new--don't let them try to get away with adding quarter round to the existing boards..it does not look as good..good luck
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post
One more thing--when they lay it make sure they take off the old baseboards and replace with new--don't let them try to get away with adding quarter round to the existing boards..it does not look as good..good luck
For now, we are going with quarter round only with our existing boards. We can't afford to add more to it. Plus.. we would have to redo ALL of our base boards.... that's going to cost us a fortune for what we want. So for now, we are going with quarter round. Once we regain some money we will go in and change out the boards.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We redid our baseboards, but they were just the stock trim type/nothing fancy or higher. I'm sure the installers will know what they're doing, but there should be space left between the wall/baseboard and the flooring for expansion or it will buckle.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Laminate is very durable and last a long time. Be carefull though. Taz got hurt on it before. If it even gets a little bit of water on it, it becomes slippery as an ice rink. Put large decorative rugs on it for sure.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yesterday we met with the owner of the local shop. He estimated our house a little cheaper and he's willing to work with us MUCH more.

Today we went and actually saw the shop and all the different types we could go with. Oh my goodness, I NEVER knew there was so many different types of laminate!! We spend HOURS there... Finally my SO and I agreed on one. The owner ended up coming down on the price for us, and the install will be much better. I LOVE the look of this new one. It's called "distressed". It looks like real wood. I can't wait to get it down. It's also a bit thicker and more resilient to water and scratches. What I love about it is, we have a 10yr warranty and it's with one of the leading companies in laminate.

I'll post pictures once we get everything set. As it looks, we should have started in about 1-2 weeks.

Btw.. the owner of the shop suggested Armstrong cleaner for the floors.. said it was cheap and found in most stores. Anyone use that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.