German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Spontaneous road trip with doggies! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/198049-spontaneous-road-trip-doggies.html)

Carriesue 01-05-2013 12:11 AM

Spontaneous road trip with doggies!

I'm so excited!! And ok well I guess it's not going to be completely spontaneous since I'm giving myself an 'undisclosed amount of time' (sorry this IS a public forum and all so not saying when we're going) to plan for it.

My husband has two weeks built up vacation time to use he found out today. We went out to dinner tonight after taking the big doggies on an hour walk and running some errands with them(the guy at the pet store didn't believe Ollie was a GSD because he's "so dark" :eek:) and at dinner we were talking about what we'd do with the time.

I don't remember exactly how it came up at dinner but my husband has always gone on about wanting to take me to the Grand Canyon and I was like, well want to go? And he said YES!!!

So we're going to the Grand Canyon!! I have been to Arizona loads of times but somehow always missed that. We are going to bring Sammy(our golden) and Ollie(my GSD pup in my avatar). It's going to be a quick trip, maybe just a day or two there and then two days for driving.

Right now I'm researching dog friendly hotels and dog friendly trails and things by the canyon. This will also be a good test of how they do on the road with us because we are planning a camping trip on the Oregon coast later this year and I wanted to bring them.

I'm so looking forward to this! I love road trips and I love taking the doggies with me... And no worries we have lots of practice with this, in fact just this June we drove up to the Oregon coast with one of our dogs(two and a half day drive), she had the time of her life! All of our dogs love the car except my Pom who hates it and gets very carsick.

Can't wait! :wild:

Gharrissc 01-05-2013 10:16 AM

You guys always seem to have such good trips. Have fun and post pictures!

Carriesue 01-05-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gharrissc (Post 2676593)
You guys always seem to have such good trips. Have fun and post pictures!

Oh thank you, lol! I absolutely love planning vacations, in fact if it weren't for the Internet I'd probably have been a travel agent. :D We haven't had a big trip since our honeymoon 7 years ago, just little trips here and there.

Carriesue 01-05-2013 08:44 PM

Wow only found one hotel that will work for us so far, Arizona doesn't seem to be nearly as pet friendly as California and Oregon are, lol. :P

Rerun 01-06-2013 08:09 AM

Look at red roof inns, I think they are all dog friendly.

Try the website dogfriendly.com

arycrest 01-06-2013 10:33 AM

I've never had a problem finding a place to stay when traveling with the Hooligans. As already mentioned, the majority of Red Roof Inns allow dogs. Try Googling Arizona pet friendly hotels ... a pot load of places come up. IMHO you should call first because sometimes things change before websites and travel guides are updated.

I found 10 La Quinta Inns in AZ that say they're pet friendly:
La Quinta Inn and Suites / Reservations / Search Results=

This site claims to have 323 pets welcome hotels in AZ:
Pet-friendly Arizona Hotels

AZ Dog Friendly Travel Guide:
DogFriendly.com - Arizona Travel Guide for Dog Owners

If you're a AAA member, you can get free Travel Guides for AZ that lists all AAA approved motels/hotels and says if they're pet friendly or not.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!

lorihd@comcast.net 01-06-2013 09:36 PM

you are so lucky!!!!!!! that is my one place to visit before i kick the bucket. anyway have a nice time. lucky, so stinkin lucky :(

doggiedad 01-06-2013 11:14 PM

enjoy.

julie87 01-07-2013 01:29 AM

yey sounds like an awesome andventure you will never forget :)