Anyone a VET/VET TECH or in VET school?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Anyone a VET/VET TECH or in VET school??

I am pre-vet..just wondering if anyone on the forum was too? Or had any tips on getting into vet school. I am in the process of getting my bachelors in Biology, with emphasis on animal biology/neurology..

Any tips on how to get a job as a vet ASSISTANT? UW-Madison requires 1000 hours of vet experience...wish all my years of playing zoo keeper to my pets counted

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Type up your resume and make 100 copies. Then visit every clinic near you and turn one in for either a Kennel Tech/Vet assistant position or a CSR (receptionist) position. Usually these positions do not require experience. Many clinics will train CSRs as well, thought no immediately. That's how it happened for me. Was a CSR first then was offered training to become a vet tech. Since you're shooting for vet school I would say try and get some experience with large animal medicine as well so you're more well-rounded then other candidates. Volunteer every weekend with your local Humane Society or animal shelter. But most importantly make sure your grades are high. Good luck!

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

the best tip is to graduate in the top 1 % of your class. make sure are meeting all the requirements of the vet schools you will apply to. you should be home for winter break and you should be visiting the vets in your area to secure a summer internship.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am a certified Animal Care tech, worked in a veterinarian hospital for a couple years. As far as getting a job as a veterinarian assistant, you just need animal related volunteer work, jobs, education... anything that shows an affinity for working with pets. Customer service is huge, too, of course.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
Type up your resume and make 100 copies. Then visit every clinic near you and turn one in for either a Kennel Tech/Vet assistant position or a CSR (receptionist) position. Usually these positions do not require experience. Many clinics will train CSRs as well, thought no immediately. That's how it happened for me. Was a CSR first then was offered training to become a vet tech. Since you're shooting for vet school I would say try and get some experience with large animal medicine as well so you're more well-rounded then other candidates. Volunteer every weekend with your local Humane Society or animal shelter. But most importantly make sure your grades are high. Good luck!
Thank you so it's best to start at the bottom and work your way up.. Ill definitely be going to all the vets in the area and applying for any position. My grades are high, that's at least one less worry! Where would I go about getting experience with large animal medicine??

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
the best tip is to graduate in the top 1 % of your class. make sure are meeting all the requirements of the vet schools you will apply to. you should be home for winter break and you should be visiting the vets in your area to secure a summer internship.
Graduate in the top 1% for my bachelors? Yowza! Vet school is so hard to get into... But it would be my dream career. Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I am a certified Animal Care tech, worked in a veterinarian hospital for a couple years. As far as getting a job as a veterinarian assistant, you just need animal related volunteer work, jobs, education... anything that shows an affinity for working with pets. Customer service is huge, too, of course.
Thank you I think I am going to start volunteering at the vet specialty center in the area. They are a huge clinic.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am pre-vet as well. I will be applying this summer for vet school!
If you can't get a job at a vet office, try to get your foot in the door by volunteering at one. I got a job as a receptionist and they have started training me for tech work because one of their techs will be leaving soon to get certified.
Also try looking into other animal-related fields. I did an internship at a zoo, raised a Leader Dog puppy, and took a yearlong program in high school to become certified as a vet assistant.
Finally, try to find a pre-vet or pre-professional club at your college and get involved! Taking on a leadership position is a big help as well!
Grades are another factor as well and they help a lot. Make sure you put in a lot of time to study for the GRE when it is approaching!
There is so much to take in but it will be worth it in the end
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your friend. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vet tech!

As far as the experience goes, many larger, busy clinics take on volunteers. Make up a resume as you would for a job, go around and apply! We tend to hire the ones we really like for summer/weekend help and those that we can't pay get a great recommendation or sometimes a job offer from clinics we are close to.

Give out resumes. My current employer NEVER lists want ads. Why would we when we have stacks of resumes that have been dropped off?
ShoshanaRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoshanaRVT View Post
Vet tech!

As far as the experience goes, many larger, busy clinics take on volunteers. Make up a resume as you would for a job, go around and apply! We tend to hire the ones we really like for summer/weekend help and those that we can't pay get a great recommendation or sometimes a job offer from clinics we are close to.

Give out resumes. My current employer NEVER lists want ads. Why would we when we have stacks of resumes that have been dropped off?
Thanks for the advice. I will do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem View Post
I am pre-vet as well. I will be applying this summer for vet school!
If you can't get a job at a vet office, try to get your foot in the door by volunteering at one. I got a job as a receptionist and they have started training me for tech work because one of their techs will be leaving soon to get certified.
Also try looking into other animal-related fields. I did an internship at a zoo, raised a Leader Dog puppy, and took a yearlong program in high school to become certified as a vet assistant.
Finally, try to find a pre-vet or pre-professional club at your college and get involved! Taking on a leadership position is a big help as well!
Grades are another factor as well and they help a lot. Make sure you put in a lot of time to study for the GRE when it is approaching!
There is so much to take in but it will be worth it in the end
Thanks for the advice! I will try and look into some of those other things too, never thought of some of those! Good luck with getting in this summer!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.