New Years Resolution HELP!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool New Years Resolution HELP!!!!

Ok this time of the year everyone is all gung ho about their new years resolution! "quit smoking, get in shape, eat better, lose XX pounds, stop eating junk, be nicer to people" etc. Well the biggest majority of people that I have seen (mostly on FB) are wanting to get healthier lose weight and get in shape. This is not always easy to do so I wanted to add some pointers and tips to help achieve this! I am by no means in perfect shape nor am I a professional trainer these are simply tips based on my own experiences!

The biggest and most #1 way to lose weight and get in shape is highly based on your diet. What you eat has 100% effect on your body. If you want to get in better shape your number one goal should be to clean up your food intake!! This does not mean go strictly vegetarian and hope for the best, you have to balance your meals... The rigor for which some people who feed their GSD's raw, is almost the same you need to feed yourself (you RAW feeders should be really good at this) You have to balance your intake with proteins carbs (the good kind) and even fats (again the good kind and yes there are good kinds). You need to try and rid yourself of unneeded sugars! That 2 am kit kat bar (my fav) is a TERRIBLE idea and will take 10x as long to lose as it took to eat! If you can clean your diet up you will GARUNTEED lose weight and start to get the body you are aiming for. Something most people overlook is their beverage intake as well. WATER WATER WATER! your body is 80% water and NEEDS IT! soda=bad, coffee/tea=bad, Gatorade=bad WATER!! and those little crystal lite packs put may be 5 calories or 0 sugars but add needless other things in your body, if you can't stand the lack of flavor in water then add a slice or two of lemon, lime, orange, cucumber, strawberry, or nearly any other fruit you want! I find citrus to be the best. If you HAVE to have that carbonated feel of soda in your water, you can do like I did either waste a ton of money on plain seltzer water or the Soda Stream does it and you just don't add the soda flavor to the carbonated water! I do this all the time and add lemon or lime to it and it taste great! Want a snack to satisfy that sweet tooth? Look for some of the protein bars that taste good (found one today actually that is one of the most delicious bars I ever ate and I am actually full from eating it with a bottle of water! And it tasted good! I will be meal replacing with this for a while! It is called “Supreme Protein” flavor is PB & J, DELICIOUS and satisfied a sweet tooth!) Any vitamins or supplements would be a good additive as well!

Another tip next to the diet is getting up and doing something! GET ACTIVE! get a walking buddy, we all have GSDs(mostly) and they LOVE to walk! Do this several times or longer distances. A lot of you already do this 2-3 walks a day for about 1-3 miles anyway and you may ask, well why am I not losing anything... It has to do with your heart rate (and again that diet). If you can get your heart rate up before your walk you will get better results. If it is running around like a maniac in the back yard with the pup or doing some jumping jacks (corny but effective) before you go then do it! You will find the more you do this type stuff the easier it gets and the more you can do. You may even start enjoying it!

RUNNING WILL MAKE YOU LOSE WEIGHT! You cannot beat the science of this. Not many people like running in fact most of us HATE it with a passion! I am in the HATE category and I HAVE to run for the military!! Most of us hate running because we feel that impending death feeling from running so here are a few running tips.. first off your shoes, a good pair of running shoes goes a long way! New Balance, Oasic (sp?) Under armor, reebok… they don’t have to look pretty just help you run comfortably. Next is to learn to run properly! Most people including myself run wrong and that’s what turns us off about it.. You have to start small. I have found and starting using a program (cost me $1.99 on the app store for my Iphone) that has not only helped me run more but I have actually started enjoying it! It is called Couch to 5k which basically helps you go from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in about 9 weeks. You run for 30 minutes a day 3 days a week (every other day). You start off with a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down at the end so your actually only running about 20 minutes. You start off week 1 day 1 by switching on and off from jogging to walking. 1 min of jogging, 1:30 of walking. My first day I did this and wound up running a total of about 2 miles (it based on time not distance to build your stamina up) The next day is the same but I wound up running 2.36 miles. And it just goes on from there. You listen to your own music and there is a voice (mine is a drill instructor) telling me when to walk or jog.

Next I will offer that you should seek ways to throw in subtle extra movement in your day to day, maybe stairs rather than escalator/ elevator. Or how about rather than circling the parking lot 14 times trying to get the closest space to the door, pick one of the further spots!(I am so guilty of this!) Sitting around bored? Do some pushups, crunches, Planks, and or burpies (any needed info on these movements just ask) All can be done with no weight and without a gym… I get my son (5) in a push up contest with me or let him sit on my back while I do them… Trolling the internet with nothing to do? Hop on over to www.Bodybuilding.com There you can create a free profile, input your personal measurements (or not) and create yourself a fitness profile. You can add workouts, track meals, and there is a forum to ask questions with TONS of people willing to help. It will also give you FREE work out programs based on your goals to help you achieve those goals! I LOVE THIS SITE! Also you can order your supplements from them as well at reasonable prices (I currently buy Protein, pre workout, amino, vitamins, protein bars and apparel from them) You can track your goals which is HUGE. For working out or getting in shape you have to set a REASONABLE goal… Do not put I lose 200 lbs, get a 6-pac without diet or exercise in 2 weeks. NOT REASONABLE. My current goals on there are to lose 30 more pounds by May and get my run time down by 2-3 minutes. Then set smaller minor goals in a less time frame… (Next week I want to be able to lift XX lbs, run XX distance, etc.) Once you meet these goals you will be that much more motivated to reach your next. Believe me I lost 80 lbs to get into the Air National guard! How did I do that? I revamped my diet 100% (Nothing but water, fish, chicken breast, fruit veggies, NO CARBS other than my protein bars/powder) I would do P90X in the AM (because it works), I would hit the gym for strength training in the afternoon, and I would jog at night! I went from 265 lbs down to 175 in 6 months. I had the right motivation (getting back into the service) and was doing the right things to my body. I know 3 workouts a day are unreasonable for most people and I was only able to do that because I was unemployed, but now I run and workout almost daily if not every other day.

Getting into some shape (I am not “In” shape yet) makes you feel better inside and out and your enegery levels go up. Things are just a little bit easier. I know this is a lot of information but if even 1 person on this forum gets ANY help or motivation from this long post than I have succeeded. My new years resolution is not to get in shape, that is my life resolution and am working on it regardless, my actual resolution is to try and help people as much as I can! So HAPPY NEW YEAR! And PLEASE feel free to comment with questions, your own tips or advice on what has worked for you or anything you want… and if this helps you PLEASE let me know!! I will make a before/after picture at some point this week and post so you can see some of my transformation. BEST OF LUCK with your resolutions!!!!

~Albert

Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

One more thing I would like to add in regards to quitting smoking... DO NOT try to lose weight AND quit smoking at the same time!! Your trying for TOO much at one time... Breaking either habbit is hard and takes a lot of discipine, and if you fail in one you will likely fail in both, become discouraged and not change anything! I would work on ONE thing at a time and in time you will find that the healthier you get with running and working out or exercising, the less you will enjoy or want to smoke and eventually you will bust both habbits anyway!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

If anyone wants a chest workout (mainly this is a guy thing but is suitable for anyone in the gym) I have a workout that we paid $50 for while in Afghanistan that garuntees to add 50lbs to your maximum bench press. Now it says 50 lbs in 14 weeks but withing 9 weeks i was at nearly 100 lbs over my max and so were everyone I was working out with over there. There is 2 worksheets you need for this and if you want it plus an explination just PM me and I will send you the files. These are GREAT but do require a bench press and DEF a spotter!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

What is a burpie ?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.P View Post
What is a burpie ?
A better way to know, if you would really like is to youtube it. But basically what a burpie is you start standing and drop down and do a push-up then pop back up and go into a jump. Then once you land drop back down and do a push-up. After that keep repeating until you are beat. lol (unless you are in amazing shape it doesnt take long). They really do work. we have a burpie break in the afternoon at work.
empem90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Burpies are AMAZING workouts!! You can do them ANYWHERE and they work legs, abs, arms, back, EVERYTHING!! Here is a great youtube video of BURPEE form.

And as promised, a before and after pic of me... kinda embarassing but a constant reminder to NEVER get back to that size!! (the alcohol had a TON to do with it which I forgot to mention!)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Have to disagree about meal replacement. My boyfriend has his personal training license from the Cooper Institute in Dallas, TX and they learned all about faulty diets and fad diets.

Meal replacement is not neccessary and the amount of ingredients in one tiny bar is crazy:

INGREDIENTS: SUPREME PROTEIN® BLEND 30g: (WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK PROTEIN ISOLATE), CHOCOLATE COATING (WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, PALM KERNEL OIL, MALTITOL, COCOA POWDER, SUGAR, SOY LECITHIN [AN EMULSIFIER], VANILLIN), CARAMEL LAYER (MALTITOL, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, BUTTER [SALTED], CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT, CARAMEL COLOR), VEGETABLE GLYCERINE, WATER, PROTEIN CRISPS (ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, TAPIOCA STARCH, SALT), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER (PEANUTS, SALT), PEANUT FLOUR, HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, PEANUTS, PALM KERNEL OIL, SOY LECITHIN (AN EMULSIFIER), VITAMIN MIX (DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, ASCORBIC ACID, COPPER GLUCONATE, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, BIOTIN, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CYANOCOBALAMIN, FOLIC ACID, MANGANESE SULFATE, CALCIUM D-PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN, SODIUM SELENITE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE), FLAX SEED OIL, SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE).

If you are trying to build muscle, a good snack between meals would be a protein shake and a handful of non-salted almonds or an apple or grapes.

If you are not trying to build muscle, a good snack is something fresh and natural...peanuts/almonds/apple/banana

If you have to have a sugary taste, get 15 calorie jello.

-----
Another thing I noticed is that you said the flavors for your water are bad. This is not true. If you get the sugar free 0-5 calorie flavors, this will help you increase your water intake, which is very good.
-----

Last, I would NEVER recommend New Balance running shoes to anyone. Or Reebok. Or Underarmour.

Nike is designed for people already in good shape. If you are fat, these will more likely give you joint problems. If you are already in moderately good shape, these will be fine for light workouts.

Asics are the #1 running shoe. My mom is the head coach of a running group with over 600 members in Houston and 95% of the group uses Asics. Those that don't usually switch after their shoes fall apart. When running 50+ miles a week, Asics last 5-6 months while Nike/Reebok/New Balance/etc last 3-4 months.

Now, if you buy the 50 dollar asics from Academy, they are the same as the other bad shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted and buy the 100-120 pair. They are worth it! I ran 13 miles in a new pair of Asics without a single blister.

Thanks!
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Have to disagree about meal replacement. My boyfriend has his personal training license from the Cooper Institute in Dallas, TX and they learned all about faulty diets and fad diets.

Meal replacement is not neccessary and the amount of ingredients in one tiny bar is crazy:

INGREDIENTS: SUPREME PROTEIN® BLEND 30g: (WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK PROTEIN ISOLATE), CHOCOLATE COATING (WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, PALM KERNEL OIL, MALTITOL, COCOA POWDER, SUGAR, SOY LECITHIN [AN EMULSIFIER], VANILLIN), CARAMEL LAYER (MALTITOL, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, BUTTER [SALTED], CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT, CARAMEL COLOR), VEGETABLE GLYCERINE, WATER, PROTEIN CRISPS (ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, TAPIOCA STARCH, SALT), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER (PEANUTS, SALT), PEANUT FLOUR, HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, PEANUTS, PALM KERNEL OIL, SOY LECITHIN (AN EMULSIFIER), VITAMIN MIX (DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, ASCORBIC ACID, COPPER GLUCONATE, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, BIOTIN, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CYANOCOBALAMIN, FOLIC ACID, MANGANESE SULFATE, CALCIUM D-PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN, SODIUM SELENITE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE), FLAX SEED OIL, SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE).

If you are trying to build muscle, a good snack between meals would be a protein shake and a handful of non-salted almonds or an apple or grapes.

If you are not trying to build muscle, a good snack is something fresh and natural...peanuts/almonds/apple/banana

If you have to have a sugary taste, get 15 calorie jello.

-----
Another thing I noticed is that you said the flavors for your water are bad. This is not true. If you get the sugar free 0-5 calorie flavors, this will help you increase your water intake, which is very good.
-----

Last, I would NEVER recommend New Balance running shoes to anyone. Or Reebok. Or Underarmour.

Nike is designed for people already in good shape. If you are fat, these will more likely give you joint problems. If you are already in moderately good shape, these will be fine for light workouts.

Asics are the #1 running shoe. My mom is the head coach of a running group with over 600 members in Houston and 95% of the group uses Asics. Those that don't usually switch after their shoes fall apart. When running 50+ miles a week, Asics last 5-6 months while Nike/Reebok/New Balance/etc last 3-4 months.

Now, if you buy the 50 dollar asics from Academy, they are the same as the other bad shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted and buy the 100-120 pair. They are worth it! I ran 13 miles in a new pair of Asics without a single blister.

Thanks!
I am not suggesting meal replacement rather augments. 6 small meals a day is very difficult to do. also I am not saying that all flavor adds are bad just to watch which you use. I suggested new balance because they are cheap, Reebok because my zig zag pair I owned for 2 years and ran in them and they were fantastic, and under armor because it is my current running shoe. Please excuse any typos as I typed that about 3am. This is exactly why I wrote this is to Help and encourage anyone with "license" or more knowledge to help out!! What I shared as I stated is not anything official or proffesional just my experiences. thank you so much for your input tho!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Down 20 lbs since starting this again

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.