German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   GPS - Garmin or Tom Tom (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/197229-gps-garmin-tom-tom.html)

Jax08 12-28-2012 09:40 PM

GPS - Garmin or Tom Tom

I was reminded that I had yet to even make an effort to look for my Christmas present. My response to that was "I'll get to it. Stop stressing me out" :D

I like the idea of the Garmin being more user friendly. I really don't travel all that much but enough that it would be nice to have instead of flipping thru maps or printing from mapquest.

What do you have? Which model? and what do you like or dislike about it? And is the difference between the 5" and the 4.3" really all that noticeable?

onyx'girl 12-28-2012 09:45 PM

I've had a Garmin for 3+ yrs and it's fine....but I've gotten lost a few times. Once in Erie, PA(we were looking for a dairy queen and it took us about 5 miles out of our way, very scenic however) and once in GR, MI....took us to a dead end in a hotel parking lot on 28th st after roundabouting the city.
We googled the addy on the Iphone after that and we arrived easily.

Addresses can be confusing....I trust my smartphone more than my Sven/Garmin. But I love Sven's voice~at least I don't feel so alone when I'm travelling. We named the GPS....and it was JUDY with a German voice that got us lost in PA...She wasn't my Garmin, and I swore I'd never let another female direct me. I swore she spit at me more than once while she reacaculated.

GusGus 12-28-2012 09:50 PM

I got a Garmin about 2/3 years ago and my mother has a newer one. I have used both and really love them. I use it to travel or just to find something I want to do in the area Im in. Very helpful, reliable, and accurate. I'd go with Garmin if I were you.

KZoppa 12-28-2012 09:54 PM

I HAD a TomTom. HATED IT! Worst GPS i've ever used. I have a Garmin now and I love it. It had lane assist and its just all around infinitely better than my TomTom ever was. Really any Garmin is going to be handy. I haven't had any issues with mine and I've had it two years now.

Jax08 12-28-2012 09:54 PM

What model do you have?

KZoppa 12-28-2012 10:01 PM

This is the model I have.

Garmin nuvi 50LM 5-inch Portable GPS Navigator, Voice Prompts GPS, Lane Assist GPS, Garmin GPS with Lifetime Map Updates

Jax08 12-28-2012 10:04 PM

That's the one I've been looking at. Do you have issues with advertisements popping up on the map with free lifetime map updates? other Garmin models have that issue

onyx'girl 12-28-2012 10:05 PM

mine is probably obsolete by now. I think it was less than $100. Garmin nuvi 255WT

KZoppa 12-28-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2665820)
That's the one I've been looking at. Do you have issues with advertisements popping up on the map with free lifetime map updates? other Garmin models have that issue

I havent had any issues. The most I got was on sunday when it alerted me that it was time for map updates because it's been a year since I did it last.

Jax08 12-28-2012 10:20 PM

These aren't alerts on the other Garmins. It's paid advertisements from stores that come with the Garmin. It's how Garmin paid for the "free" map updates.