Replacing Existing House Windows - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Replacing Existing House Windows

My husband and I had a sales rep come over from Lowes today to discuss replacing our existing windows. The total cost of changing windows and a couple of doors came out to be just over $9,000.

The reason for wanting to do so is, of course, energy efficiency and preventing condensation on the window and water puddling on the window sills which is very prevalent every winter.

Our house is 15 years old and we are in our early 50's. I think within the next 4-5 years we will have to replace our roof so that is another $10,000.

We would like to do it, but I don't think it would be a good investment in the long run unless we can see a large return monthly because we either run the a/c or the heater depending on the season.

Before we say no to the idea, I am curious if others have replaced their windows and with what brand. How much of a savings have you made over the lenghth of time since you installed them?

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OMG 9K that seems really high. They must be charging a lot for installation. I'd definately shop around. Even though I am used to my husband doing everything himself thats still high.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Check to see if there are any rebates in your area for upgrades in relation to energy effciency. I know here if you have an energy audit done, the government will give you so much back from your upgrades.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I replaced all my windows maybe 4 years ago? I went thru a private distributor. I paid about 150.00 per window, and have 18-20 windows in my house. So around 3 grand.

I was just looking at windows today at Lowes, EXPENSIVE! But then again they seem to have top brands like Pella etc. Look online you may find some cheaper (at lowes). They have alot listed online that arent in the store. I did see some there for 145 apiece..so it depends on the window and how many I'd assume,plus installation (Mine included installation and a lifetime warranty)

I DO see a difference in my heat bill, tho I'm not 'real thrilled" with these particular windows..Some are a tad drafty, and they are the tilt in ones..Some of them I can't get shut after washing them, (altho the hubby can),,just not real high end ones I assume..

My heat bill isn't that high to begin with, but it is even less with these energy efficient windows.

So yes, I do see a heat bill difference and none ever get fogged up like my old ones

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Replacing the windows on our condo was one of the best things we've done. We did this back in 1997 with the dual paned windows. I believe we paid about $3000 for 4 average windows and 1 extra large window 96" wide and one 96" patio door. Prior to that the old windows leaked and were very cold. We used Milgard and they have great customer service. They guarantee your windows for as long as you own your house. We had two minor issues with the patio door. No problems getting through on the phone and someone came out and repaired to door for free, the person was clean and professional. Highly recommend this brand. The large window and the patio door face the ocean. We get some really nasty storms usually blowing in from the ocean and we never have had any leaks with all that pounding rain.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did the same as Diane. Our next door neighbor did them for about the same cost as Diane paid.
We had a couple that needed replacement after he did them(once one broke from the inside) kids swear they weren't playing football in the house!
The other one had plastic break in between the runners and never would seal correctly.
Ours are tilt-outs for cleaning and I'd never go back to any other type!

Condensation can occur if the humidity is high in the home, so my bathroom windows tend to have some all winter long.
Instead of going to a big box, see if there is a local installer...better to support the smaller business, IMO(as long as they are legit!)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check out your local Angie's List for info on GOOD window installers near you.

9 Gs does sound rather high.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to wildwolf60

We replaced our windows last year, went with Champion. Eight windows, approx $5000 total, installed. They're guaranteed for life, pretty much, I think maybe there is a small reduction after so many years, but they're also guaranteed if you or you dog breaks them. LOVE them! We had old, drafty rattley windows, and each winter we used to board them up with fiberboard insulation to keep the heating costs down. The winter after we installed them, my heating bill dropped even more than when we had boarded up windows!
You can stand right by the window now, and not feel any wind at all, and we're on a hill that gets quite a bit of wind at times. And the noise from the road has been dampened as well. We went from a budget plan on the gas heating bill at 96 a month to 42 a month and I ended up with a credit at the end of the year. I recommend Champion based on our experience.
wildwolf60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Windows in our house ended up being about $6,000. That included 6 floor to ceiling double hung and 20 awning style (which are expensive, but sliders look crappy IMO).

There is definitely a big price difference in the TYPE of window you get....and Lowe's tends to not let you know what are cheaper styles and what aren't.

I'd definitely look around at local places too. Some local places here are more expensive (don't go with the guys who do heavy advertising) and some are a lot less. We went with a mom and pop type place and are overall happy. We had them done in 2 waves and IMO the caulking/finishing job was not as nice with the second crew which I was annoyed with, but for the savings I'll live.

I can't say we've noticed a huge difference in bills--I've gotten wimpier in the winter so heat creeps up more often, but just not having the drafts/condensation/difficulty opening and closing is well worth it! Plus RESALE will be huge. Even though you won't "make" up your money in heating bills, that is a huge thing for buyers.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess it has been 4yrs ago we had all the windows replaced by Window Depot, they may be a local company only. They are double pane and tilt in for easy cleaning, this is an old house with stone exterior that had crank out windows before. We had a total of 8 windows, 4@ 52" wide, 3@ 35" wide, and 1@ 34". The price for the windows and installation was $2456.00, I thought it was a really good deal.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.