Replacing Existing House Windows - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We had Jeld Wen windows put in about 2 years ago. Before our bill was around $250/month,but since we've replaced the windows the bill has gone down to around $200. I can't say that the window replacement cut the bill all by itself,but I do think it has helped.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
OMG 9K that seems really high. They must be charging a lot for installation. I'd definately shop around. Even though I am used to my husband doing everything himself thats still high.
I agree...that seems awful high.
We picked out (and bought) the windows and doors we liked ourselves, then hired a local private carpenter/contractor to do the install.

He charged us an hourly wage...sometimes those stores charge as much for install as the windows/doors cost. Or more.
Worked out great for us. And, yes, replacing them helped lower heating and a/c bills.

IMO, I'd check around some more.
Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 12-27-2012 at 08:23 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Check to see if there is Window World franchise near you. They make their own windows so there is no middle man involved. I put them in and it made a difference.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have about 24 windows and two doors in our house that need to be replaced. The idea of purchasing windows and having a private contractor do the installation is a good idea. I'll ask for a breakdown for the materials and labor

Hmm. Just wondered if the existing windows can be sold to a building salvage yard. Somebody may be able to use them for something else.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

habitat for humanity restore? I think our installer took ours away and discounted us for each window. We had a bay window and 8 windows replaced. The others were new with our addition(and they were local wooden custom made, tilt out/ way over price, but excellent quality)

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I told my husband the 9k price and he said it all depends on how many windows & what brand. We did all Anderson windows in our house. We did the sunroom about 8 years ago I don't remember how much it cost but just that room alone there is 3 sets of sliding glass doors, 1 set of french doors & 13 double hung windows.
Whenever I had to get a contractor to do something I always got 2 or 3 prices, the cheapest is not always the best choice. Get a few estimates, they are usually free.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband said the same things as Carolyn's, and he works at a building supply place. How many windows, size of windows, doors, brand of windows, it all factors. Definitely get more than one estimate. Call some local contractors who will include installation in their price.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

If I were you, I would be selective on replacing windows. Replace the ones you have problems with (condensation, drafts, etc.) Leave the rest. You didn't mention your furnace but if it isn't the most energy efficient, you will get more value replacing it than windows. I have an old farmhouse and replaced 8 windows on the front side of the house (I wanted all windows on each side to match). Saw no difference in the fuel costs.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have 16 dual pane windows and some have arches. They all have condensation in the morning and produce puddles on the sills. Lowes brought out samples only of their store brand, not Paella or other big name brands.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I cannot really comment on residential window applications...You mention 16 windows, are these fixed with sliders? Meaning the Upper window is a fixed IGU (insulated glass unit), with vinyl stops (frame) and then lower be left or right sliding glass and screen (usually 3 sliders in more current apps. unlike yrs ago when just a single slider and screen w/aluminum frame). The sliders would be single lite (glass) held in frame with rubber gasket - the sliding lite would not fog as there is no air space such as in the IGU....when an IGU fails you will get the condensation/fogging between the glass - this part has to be replaced. If the application allows removal of the stops and the IGU pulled, then all you have to replace is the failing IGU. If it is Pella or perhaps other "brands" and is a whole kit such as tilt out which is fabbed and installed whole instead of in parts, then the glass and framing would have to go - this would apply if old windows are a fabbed kit or the new purchase.

The doors - are you looking at front insulated double doors (decorative) (or two seperate) w/1/4 or 1/2 or full door lite and iron or brass inlay or are you talking about patio doors, with or without side lite or transom?

I had a friend recently have a single front insulated door done w/side lite and that alone was 3K.

Another thing to consider about variables in costs and R factor is to get "Low E, Argon gas filled"

(I used to own a glass and door service company - my BF did the installs, I ran the biz - however we did mostly high rise condo's and commercial/industrial/retail service work for banks and arena's with a little residential - usually a fogged IGU in residential)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.