African Grey Parrot - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Honestly, with a parrot, especially a grey, I tend to discourage adopting an older bird unless you are an experienced bird owner. There is a lot to be said with getting a parrot young. Yes they are captive bred and raised now, but they are not like dogs. They are a lot more wild than tame if you get one as an adult that hasn't been properly raised and cared for. Parrots tend to bond to one person in the household, and greys are notorious for this. This will not be a family pet like a dog as a rule of thumb. As young birds, they can be pretty social, but as they get older they tend to pick their "person." Also, many parrots can learn very bad habits such as plucking and screaming which are VERY difficult to break once started. If raised properly, this typically won't be an issue, so again, I usually refer most people to look for a breeder or local bird store that specializes in parrots (as opposed to say, a chain petstore like petsmart or petco which don't even sell big birds anymore around here).

I've had a lot of parrots over the years and adopted a few off CL to foster and rehome to an appropriate home, including macaws. I have one keeper parrot - a blue fronted amazon that is a great example of a properly raised parrot, especially an amazon. He's friendly, never bites me, doesn't scream but talks and chatters quite a bit, whistles songs, is not terribly destructive (in parrot terms).

They need a lot of space, a good diet (not seeds - pellets and fresh fruit/veggies are best), lots of interaction, and patience.

Parrots are GREAT if you are prepared. Greys do not tend to be screamers (though they do mimic a LOT and it can get very repetitive and annoying hearing your microwave beep hundreds of times a day, etc), but can be quirky.

Last edited by Rerun; 12-27-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'll post pics when I return home fom my holiday travel. I acquired Gracie as a young one and spoon fed her. I got her from a breeder.
Also, she is my bird. My family all enjoy her and her antics, but I am the only one who can handle her.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the picture thread too!

I'm going to order a few books and research is needed. We are only in the "let's talk" stage.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregc View Post
I've had a Grey in my home for about 15 years. I love them. They are messy and require some attention daily. They can mimic everything they hear. They are smart, funny, and very interesting. My Grey, Gracie, calls all my dogs by name. tip: keep the dust down by giving then a bath, daily. All you really need is water and a spray bottle.
Yes including annoying random mechanical sounds. My friends would mimic the most obnoxious sounding metallic squeak.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Echo can imitate a jackhammer ... to perfection. They were doing construction for an entire summer one year. Thankfully, it's one of the "forgotten" noises and only comes out every now and then. As long as I don't react, she only does it once or twice. It is so loud when she does it that you would think it was in the next room!

GregC ... your grey likes the spray bottle? Lucky you, mine hates it ... she HAS to come INTO the shower with me! If I forget, she simply flies in and joins me LOL
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I own a blue and gold macaw and agree with alot of the posts preceding mine. I suggest you join a few bird forums and ask questions. Avianavenue.com and Parrotforums.com are excellent.

I have noticed that many African Greys pluck themselves so that is a topic you may wish to learn more about.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I know someone who has a boarding kennel and keeps a grey in her office. That dog can mimic the sound of the phone ringing, AND Jane's voice answering the phone. So you'd hear "brrrrrrrring! Good afternoon, xxxxxxx Kennels.....uh-huh.....yes.....please hold....." It was so funny!
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have a sun conure parrot. Parrots are extremely intelligent. Most do require a lot of attention. When they get bored they can be extremely noisy
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a Grey....Magnum is 24 yrs old, I raised him from the day his eyes opened. My mom has his clutchmate.
Because I've had so many parrots, Magnum is like a flock of birds in one body...he mimics many, and the worst is the Moluccan cockatoo scream.
He knows all my families secrets too...LOL.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Be aware that if you get a baby AG there is no guarantee that your bird will talk. Some AG's prefer imitating noises, some talk, some don't speak a word. If talking is something you expect then you're better off adopting an older bird. I have to disagree with Rerun that a baby bird would be best. Older birds past the first few hormonal years are the best! Plus with older birds their personalities are set and you'll know whether or not they are a good fit with you. AGs are too smart so they require a ton of mental stimulation. They're also on the dusty side, though you should be fine since you've had cockatiels. My dogs and my bird get along fine, but it took a while to get to that stage.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.