Nancy Lansa was a victim, too - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nancy Lanza was a victim. The ONLY victim that can tell anyone what was actually going on in that house and what might have been going on in the shooter's mind. I think we can all take a lesson from the Lancaster Amish....who, when faced with their own dead children, embraced the shooter's family and mourned their loss with them.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Yes, she was a victim. But I'd have a much easier time feeling sorry for her if her son hadn't used HER OWN guns to kill her, all those children, and the adults that tried to protect them.

It's possible that he would still have found a way to do what he did. But I just can't get past the fact that the weapons he used to murder dozens of people were right there in the house he lived in. Would he, his mother, the 6 adults and 20 kids at Sandy Hook Elementary still be alive if his mother didn't own all those guns? Who knows. But they might be.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Cassidy's mom, you're right it is a little hard to feel sorry for her because she wasn't as careful as she should have been with her guns, but as a mom I don't know if I would see my son capable of something like that, and as someone said, it was like a crab in boiling water, she didn't realize how bad he really was... Just think about how your pup grew, did you notice every time you puppy grew half an inch? Half a pound? I know it isn't the same but sometimes you really hope for the best... I know I do...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

We honestly don't know EITHER WAY and cannot sit in judgement.

On the other side of the coin though I see our own former neighbors who had a houseful of unsecured guns blind to their child's continuing abuse and warning signs - to the point of the mother covering for her own 12 year old son shooting a hole in their own wall with a real gun. Parents in compete denial and a system that does not act until it is too late.

We don't know what kind of warning signs the boy (who killed all these children) showed but clearly she was having trouble with him. I don't think it is too much to ask that guns are properly secured with means that cannot be thwarted by another and if you wind up dying preventing someone else (such as the son) the ability access your own guns, so be it. There are very secure guns safes where he would not have a chance to get into them.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I absolutely believe Nancy Lanza was a victim. I agree with those who feel she was too close to the situation to see it clearly. I don't think she realized how bad her son's condition was. I also agree that her guns should never have been accessible to her son.

I can see where people may not have as much sympathy for Nancy as a victim. I think that is understandable. All of the other victims were complete innocents. Nothing was within their control. We will never know for sure what happened in that house, but I do think that Nancy made some bad decisions that made it easier for this terrible tragedy to occur.

If Nancy had not been killed, she herself would have carried a tremendous burden of guilt. What parent would not feel horror to know their child had committed such a terrible act? It would not matter what anyone else thought. She would have blamed herself. JMO, but I think it is a blessing that Nancy died without knowing what transpired. From all accounts, she was a lovely person. How could she ever have coped with this?
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure anyone knows enough facts to judge at this point. I have tried not to soak up too many details since so many "facts"were blatantly incorrect. But we dont know if this kid forced access to a safe by breaking into it, etc. maybe she was crazy enough to give him the combo or keep them out in the open, but maybe she did everything right as well. This kid would have found a way to do what he did no matter what at the end if the day. I'm a believer that if people have mass destruction in mind they will find a way to carry throughwith their plans unless stopped ahead of time. I hate to sound morbid, but where there is a will there is a way. If nancy lanza didn't own guns her son would have found them somewhere else or come up with some other way to kill a bunch of people.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am not going to cast judgments on her. What I will say is that we have taken heed from the tragedy and locked up all our firearms. They used to lean against the wall in the bedroom but now they are locked in a gun safe. We went out and purchased one after the shootings.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

I"m on the fence , I believe she was a victim because she was killed and there are some here who do see her as that and include her in the 'numbers', some do not. There are others who feel that the children/adults who died were much more the victims (which I agree with), than Nancy Lanza.

I've heard she was a doomsday prepper which is why she had the stash of weapons.
I'm sure even if they were in a locked vault, her son knew how to access them.

I think something also not touched on, is how HARD it is to actually get help for mentally ill people. If your kid threatens to kill you and you turn them in, they are let back out within a short period of time.

While I don't want to make this a 'govt thing', mental illness is not taken seriously, unless they are deemed severe, there isn't really much done.

ANd then you have the ones who clearly have had issues most of their lives, and just snap, while the signs were there, again, parent's aren't "heard" or the parents are in denial..

Sad no matter how you look at it. I'm thinking she knew her son had alot of issues, but either chose to try and fix them herself, or not..You don't hear much about the father being involved, and only they know the true story

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think she was a victim too.

She obviously never saw this coming or I'm sure she would have done things a lot differently. By the sounds of things, she might have had some mental health issues of her own.

I'm a Canadian and as a rule we do not share the same fondness for firearms as our friends to the south.

While there is obviously no point in expressing my opinions on firearms to the NRA, what I'd love to see them do is donate a sizable chunk of money to mental health programs. I think that would go a long way to helping them restore their image, not that I think they care what people think about them.

And for those who have firearms in your homes, even locked up, there's always that chance that your older kids could get a hold of them. I dunno, to me they seem like more of a liability than protection. And there is no reason I can think of that any civilian needs to own automatic weapons, that is just crazy to me. I can understand farmers and hunters owning guns, but there's a different mentality behind the desire to own automatic weapons IMO.

Anyway, the whole thing is just so sad. I'm so sorry for those who were directly affected by this tragedy. Little babies gunned down. And now the firemen gunned down on Christmas day.

Last edited by blackshep; 12-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I am not going to cast judgments on her. What I will say is that we have taken heed from the tragedy and locked up all our firearms. They used to lean against the wall in the bedroom but now they are locked in a gun safe. We went out and purchased one after the shootings.
I go into many homes with guns that aren't in safes ...even with grandchildren in the homes, there are guns in closets, in holsters that are attached to bedside tables. I can't believe how casual many people are with weapons. I've always imagined that I accidentally knock one over and it blows me away. I wonder if this tragedy will have these people putting them away for safety's sake? But what good does a gun do with an intruder in the home, if you have to run to the safe to get it out?
We have a gun safe, and only I and my DH know the combo. DH carrys a handgun, and that one isn't locked up, but it is never left out in the open, either.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.