Dealing with people you hate during the holidays - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My sister in law was dating this jerk for 3 years. They were engaged for 6 months before she learned he was cheating on her. My husband and I went to school with this guy. I didn't like him one bit in high school. He was even worse after high school and when he was trying to weasel his way into the family. I made it VERY clear I did not like him (my husband hated him but was nice because he's just that kind of person). The sister in laws idiot was... a wannabe. He was constantly in things he shouldnt have been. Treated the animals like the greatest thing on the planet when my inlaws were around. He made the mistake of kicking Zena one time and I went after him. The inlaws were supposed to visit for Christmas one year and the sister in law invited the idiot. I told my husband to pass on the message that THEY were welcome to come but the idiot was not welcome and would be expected to sit outside on the porch with duct tape over his mouth for the duration of the visit. They thought I was kidding. They were staying at our house. I wouldn't let him in the door. My house, my rules. My husband at least offered him a tent and a sleeping bag to sleep in the backyard. I wouldn't have been so generous, especially after the kicking my dog incident.

My point is, its YOUR decision who comes into your house and who doesn't. Anyone who doesn't like it will have to deal or the celebration can be held elsewhere. I made it very clear I would make it a very miserable experience for everyone involved if that guy set even a toe in my house. I had made it clear he wasn't liked and it was made clear he would not be welcome. They learned to listen a lot better to house wishes after that weekend.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Well today we celebrated Christmas at my parents with relatives I have not seen for a year. My aunt and uncle started talking about dogs and I mentioned that big dogs are expenssive and that I spend more money on the dog than myself and that my dog has insurance...my aunt shook her head in very judgemental way and said "that is not normal, it is no ok at all".( little does she know that I really don't spend money on myself, I don't need much) And then she asked "what about kids, when are you gonna have kids?" and I said "Im ok without kids" And her husband replied "get well soon Julie". I was seriousely offended, I don't see them ever and my aunt always tells me how great I am and then she says that to my face on Christmas while having dinner? I just got up and left the table, there were many things I wanted to say such as what kind of idiot she married and what kind of life she has and trust me nobody wants the life that she has. It was a very dissappointing evening, I realized that starting today I am not gonna be nice to them even though they are my relatives life is to short to waste it on idiots.

Last edited by julie87; 12-26-2012 at 03:54 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

[QUOTE=KZoppa;2663945]My sister in law was dating this jerk for 3 years. They were engaged for 6 months before she learned he was cheating on her. My husband and I went to school with this guy. I didn't like him one bit in high school. He was even worse after high school and when he was trying to weasel his way into the family. I made it VERY clear I did not like him (my husband hated him but was nice because he's just that kind of person). The sister in laws idiot was... a wannabe. He was constantly in things he shouldnt have been. Treated the animals like the greatest thing on the planet when my inlaws were around. He made the mistake of kicking Zena one time and I went after him. The inlaws were supposed to visit for Christmas one year and the sister in law invited the idiot. I told my husband to pass on the message that THEY were welcome to come but the idiot was not welcome and would be expected to sit outside on the porch with duct tape over his mouth for the duration of the visit. They thought I was kidding. They were staying at our house. I wouldn't let him in the door. My house, my rules. My husband at least offered him a tent and a sleeping bag to sleep in the backyard. I wouldn't have been so generous, especially after the kicking my dog incident.

Way to go! I played that scenario in my head many times, how if somebody hurts my dog what kind of things I will do to them
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[quote=julie87;2663949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
My sister in law was dating this jerk for 3 years. They were engaged for 6 months before she learned he was cheating on her. My husband and I went to school with this guy. I didn't like him one bit in high school. He was even worse after high school and when he was trying to weasel his way into the family. I made it VERY clear I did not like him (my husband hated him but was nice because he's just that kind of person). The sister in laws idiot was... a wannabe. He was constantly in things he shouldnt have been. Treated the animals like the greatest thing on the planet when my inlaws were around. He made the mistake of kicking Zena one time and I went after him. The inlaws were supposed to visit for Christmas one year and the sister in law invited the idiot. I told my husband to pass on the message that THEY were welcome to come but the idiot was not welcome and would be expected to sit outside on the porch with duct tape over his mouth for the duration of the visit. They thought I was kidding. They were staying at our house. I wouldn't let him in the door. My house, my rules. My husband at least offered him a tent and a sleeping bag to sleep in the backyard. I wouldn't have been so generous, especially after the kicking my dog incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post

Way to go! I played that scenario in my head many times, how if somebody hurts my dog what kind of things I will do to them

Zena is my girl with hip problems and arthritis. He kicked her because she didn't get out of his way immediately (she knows the move command). He didn't just kick her either. My inlaws had left for the commissary and he came upstairs. She didn't move out of the kitchen doorway and he literally pulled his foot back like he was prepping to kick a soccer ball full force and nailed her. Zena is a durable dog and wouldnt have a problem biting someone if she felt it necessary. Family protective girl. Tank with fur but he kicked her hard enough it knocked the wind out of her with a yelp. I was down the hall before he knew what hit him. My husband had to pull me off him. After that, I didn't even pretend to tolerate him. There was no way he would ever be welcome in my house. My husband hated him but my husband is the kind of guy where he'll still give you the benefit of the doubt and still be nice. Me; nope. If I dont like you, thats it. I will make it clear I dont like you lol.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

[quote=KZoppa;2663950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post

Zena is my girl with hip problems and arthritis. He kicked her because she didn't get out of his way immediately (she knows the move command). He didn't just kick her either. My inlaws had left for the commissary and he came upstairs. She didn't move out of the kitchen doorway and he literally pulled his foot back like he was prepping to kick a soccer ball full force and nailed her. Zena is a durable dog and wouldnt have a problem biting someone if she felt it necessary. Family protective girl. Tank with fur but he kicked her hard enough it knocked the wind out of her with a yelp. I was down the hall before he knew what hit him. My husband had to pull me off him. After that, I didn't even pretend to tolerate him. There was no way he would ever be welcome in my house. My husband hated him but my husband is the kind of guy where he'll still give you the benefit of the doubt and still be nice. Me; nope. If I dont like you, thats it. I will make it clear I dont like you lol.
Oh my God I don't even know what I would do if somebody kicked my sick dog so hard... glad you stand up for your dog, I respect people like you. Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Clark: Our holidays were always such a mess.
Clark Sr.: Oh, yeah.
Clark: How'd you get through it?
Clark Sr.: I had a lot of help from Jack Daniels.
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

dptduke, if you love your sister you deal with the jerk. We used to celebrate Christmas here, but my husband's father hated the fact that we had dogs in the house. I would put them in crates so his parents would be comfortable here and because I loved my husband. Eventually it just became easier to have Christmas at their house and we brought the roast beef with us. When my husband's father would say things about the dogs in his all knowing way I would just smile and move on. Often not raising to the bait is a much stronger insult than reacting.

NOW, if someone had kicked one of my dogs that person would have been physically removed from my house in a not so pleasant way and made VERY aware that they were NOT welcome here again. I wouldn't care if I did love my sibling or child.

I usually can tolerate people, even those I do not like, but IF my sister (whom I really don't care if I ever see again) were to come visit the sperm donor she lives with would not be welcome.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

My "sister" and I do not get along. So, while I live in my parents' house I've come to the conclusion that if I cannot leave (go to a dog show/trial or camping) while my sister visits I will just have to lock myself in my room and not give her a chance to let her snotty little comments fly.

Once I move out of my parents' place (only a 1 1/2 years to go) I'll never have to see or speak to the little spoiled brat again.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Kicked your dog?
OMG
To me that would be not only abuse, but a total insult to my family and my home.

[quote=KZoppa;2663950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post

My in-laws think I wrecked their son's life with all the animals, they HATE the pets and threaten to kick or eat them
When they are over, I leave.
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If it's that big of a problem I would just talk to my sister about it,or him. I think everyone has people in their family that they don't care for,whether they would admit it or not. I don't really care for several of my husband's family members,but as long as they give me the respect I give them, I can deal.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 12-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.