German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Eating meat. What is your stance? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/196928-eating-meat-what-your-stance.html)

APBTLove 12-23-2012 05:39 PM

Eating meat. What is your stance?

Whether you love to eat meat or are a darn vegan, I'd love to hear from you. I find it interesting.

I eat meat. I do not like where it comes from (like big slaughterhouses who don't have time to be nice when there is money to be made) and I do make an effort to buy humanely kept and slaughtered animals. I plan on raising my own animals for slaughter when I'm able to - the way I see it, if you wouldn't look her in the eye and put her down for food, perhaps you shouldn't eat her. It is so easy to buy a ground up cow and make patties out her. Or a drumstick, when you didn't see it supporting a hen while she walked about.

And it's CERTAINLY easy to fry bacon without thinking of how intelligent and even thoughtful the pig who died to make it is, and how horrific a life he lead. I love bacon. But I think I'm going to give it up unless it comes from a very humane farm where it was slaughtered and treated humanely.

Would it be hard to put down an animal yourself for food? Or course - for most animal lovers. But I'd be happier eating a turkey that I know I cared well for and killed fast and humanely than wondering what kind of torture that bird on the table went through. I catch fish (everything from flounder to shark) and crabs then kill them for food. They might be lesser than a lamb as far as intelligence, but it really made me respect that animal much more.

I think people would respect animals in general a lot more if they did their own slaughtering and dressing for food.

I just thought I'd post after the comments on the pig thread.
Pigs are so smart, smarter than most of our dogs. Number four out of all animals in intelligence. But we all cry over dolphin slaughter - me included - and then go much on a ham sandwich.

Just some food for thought. I'm not trying to debate with anyone or rile anyone up, I like to hear opinions from all sides, it does a mind good to look at everything from several perspectives.

DTS 12-23-2012 06:08 PM

I like meat for the most part.
I have a very narrow esophagus and its hard for me to eat some meats like steak, cube steak, anything tough and chewy.
I like the idea of raising my own. As a kid I raised hogs for fair projects and at the end of the show people would bid per pound and they would be slaughtered so I'm used to that. We also chip in and buy a part of a steer to support the kids and to have fresh meat.
I like local grown and grass fed.
The movie Food Inc. opened my eyes to feeder lots and large scale places.
I'm not really into pork a whole lot because I don't care for the taste.
I also don't care for the fatty portions of meat and prefer lean meat.
I try to eat as healthy as possible.
I wouldn't ever eat horse. I've owned them and I don't condone how some of them are slaughtered inhumanely and personally don't feel they were put on this earth to eat but to each is his own. I do realize the over ubundance of them and if they was a more humane way to slaughter than I would support it.

Gharrissc 12-23-2012 06:33 PM

I'm also a meat eater and prefer to buy it from the local farm who raise and slaughter it more humanely. I can't always get out there in time though and do buy from the grocery store as well. I don't have a problem with eating meat,but I don't like the way the slaughterhouse treat the animals either,even if they are going to die anyway. My husband's family raised their own cows and have saved a few special ones back that they just couldn't kill.Those special ones were turned into pets. We have talked about raising our chickens, but we both have plenty to do right now as it is.

llombardo 12-23-2012 06:50 PM

I'm probably right in the middle. I can take meat or leave it. I prefer not to eat it. I don't drink milk, but I like cheese. I would probably have no problem becoming a vegetarian.

arycrest 12-23-2012 07:06 PM

I eat red meat, poultry, fish and other creatures that were once living. If I had to kill my own food I'd probably be a vegetarian ... I don't want to see their faces ... I want my meat to come in nice, sanitary, plastic containers from a refrigerated counter of my local market.

Lauri & The Gang 12-23-2012 07:14 PM

I eat meat and would never think of giving it up.

I have raised, killed, butchered and eaten rabbits, chickens and ducks.

I'd LOVE to raise a couple miniature beef cows on our property but the DH is not happy with the idea. :)

Carriesue 12-23-2012 07:18 PM

My husband is a vegetarian and I was too for a long time but I have a really hard time giving up chicken, lol. I won't eat most meat though, I don't eat cow, pig and I've never had lamb or any other type of baby animal.

I did raise chickens in high school for my small animal science class and then we took them to be slaughtered and I saw the whole process. It was pretty bad and the guy handling the birds was horribly rough with them, he actually broke one birds leg hanging it up on the hook and it was still alive and fully aware and screaming. I think if more people actually saw the whole process they might be less inclined to eat it or be more aware of where it comes from. Especially poultry, I don't think there are many laws protecting them and their humane treatment.

I don't do a lot of dairy either but that has mostly to do with my stomach not being able to handle it. It's pretty easy to be a vegetarian these days though, lots of tasty options! :)

I used to work with reptiles so I have killed mice and rats but I don't think I could look a cow or chicken in the eye and then kill it and eat it. My dad and I caught catfish once for dinner and I watched him kill them and I wasn't able to stomach eating it... Me personally I couldn't do it.

APBTLove 12-23-2012 07:19 PM

And that's okay, it's your choice, Gayle.

Personally, I think I would be okay slaughter animals if I knew how to properly do it and wasn't afraid of botching it.

doggiedad 12-23-2012 07:21 PM

i eat meat and so does my dog. now that i think about
my children eat, my neighbors eat meat, the places i buy meat
from the owners eat meat. i have some friends that don't eat meat,
their parents don't eat meat, their parents neighbors don't eat
meat and the places where they don't buy meat from the owners
don't eat meat.

gaia_bear 12-23-2012 07:27 PM

I can go without it but don't think I could give it up completely. We always try to buy local free range meat at the market and I avoid the meat section of the grocery store.

It may be different regulations but growing up in a border town I've seen some unnaturally large chicken breasts come from the states, like the size of a whole chicken here. That turned me off from chicken until I found a local farmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App