When did you start to feel "old"? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Between Active duty air force being stations both stateside and overseas, coming home getting out of the military and joinging the law enforcement career. Doing that for abour 4 years before going BACK into the military. Just to turn around deploy, Afghanistan, come home to stay in the Guard and get a different law enforcement position... 2 kids, a GSD, 2 cats, a wife, long hours daily workouts....at 28 I am BEAT DOWN! a good vacation outta get me feeling young again! And I dont mean like going on a trip, I mean just lounging around, relaxing, "smelling the roses" type vaca! Ill tell you what though, since I started jogging/running 3 days a week, I feel a LOT better!!

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Around when I turned 28(30 now) and started developing arthritis in my knees, back and hips and it's been progressively getting worse. When I get up my bones crack and I'm stiff all over... I literally feel like I'm 80, lol.

I was on prednisone for a week awhile ago for an allergic reaction and my arthritis pain stopped 100% while I was on it... It was then I realized how much the 24/7 pain was really affecting me and making me kind of watered down version of who I used to be... Does that make any sense?? LOL I wish that stuff wasn't so terrible for you long term because it was a godsend.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just before I had a heart attack and bypass surgery at 48. Actually, I didn't really start feeling old until I turned 50 this year.

Someone else posted that they looked ten years younger, well I did too, or I thought so. Now I look in the mirror and I do see a 50 year old man.

I still get around OK and the joints are not giving any trouble. I still walk two miles a day for my heart health and I quit smoking the day of my heart attack.

But, yeah, I've finally accepted the fact that I'm aging and I'm not the 30 something I had been thinking I was for the last twenty years.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

I only feel old when I hurt myself LOL because then I have to sit on my butt and heal - which thankfully isn't that often. I'm 41 and still only need / get 4-5 hours of sleep a night and am still always on the go ... just wondering when it will kick in, and NOT looking forward to it.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I feel old now... (I'm 28). Between the dietary restrictions, copious amounts of medications, and constant joint pain/arthritis, I feel ancient. My husband's grandmother and I used to compare medications Our nights consist of eating dinner, watching TV or playing scrabble, and going to bed at 9:00... that's all we have energy for, lol. It's so pathetic. I also look like I'm MAYBE 16, so I'm sure it'll be a trip in about ten years... maybe by then I won't get carded anymore...but I'm sure I'll still feel 80
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am 40 and don't FEEL old. However, I have noticed that I am no longer impressed with the same things that younger people are. When I overhear to the conversations of my co-workers, I think "how childish". That makes me realize that I am getting old.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
I feel old now... (I'm 28). Between the dietary restrictions, copious amounts of medications, and constant joint pain/arthritis, I feel ancient. My husband's grandmother and I used to compare medications Our nights consist of eating dinner, watching TV or playing scrabble, and going to bed at 9:00... that's all we have energy for, lol. It's so pathetic. I also look like I'm MAYBE 16, so I'm sure it'll be a trip in about ten years... maybe by then I won't get carded anymore...but I'm sure I'll still feel 80
lol Same here(though I'm two years older then you ), I still look exactly like I did my senior year of high school. Once when I was at the doctors the nurse asked if that man(and she pointed at my husband) was my father. Granted he is 14 years older than me but still!

I'm not on any pain medication for my arthritis right now, nothing seems to work though I'm going to be trying Celebrex next. It just feels unfair like I shouldn't be having to deal with this until another 30 years but whatcha gonna do?
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
lol Same here(though I'm two years older then you ), I still look exactly like I did my senior year of high school. Once when I was at the doctors the nurse asked if that man(and she pointed at my husband) was my father. Granted he is 14 years older than me but still!

I'm not on any pain medication for my arthritis right now, nothing seems to work though I'm going to be trying Celebrex next. It just feels unfair like I shouldn't be having to deal with this until another 30 years but whatcha gonna do?

Celebrex? are you sure? You may want to wait until May 2014 when the trials BY Pfizer are complete.

The securities class-action lawsuit, which was filed by the Teachers Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL) on behalf of Pfizer stockholders, alleges that the five defendants violated federal securities laws by concealing the results of studies involving Celebrex, a COX-2 inhibiting anti-inflammatory drug, and Bextra, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that was pulled from the market in 2005.

Pfizer (2009): Off-label promotion of COX-2 drugs including Bextra, Geodon, Lyrica and Zyvox, with "the intent to defraud or mislead" cost the pharma giant a loss of 90 percent of its 2008 income. The fine: $2.3 billion (then the largest fine of its kind).
May Cause Outrage: The 9 Biggest Big Pharma Fines Ever

Celebrex Lawsuit: Celebrex Class Action, Celebrex Recall Information

But, I am sure Pfizer will prevail, if this is pulled from the market for humans, it will likely make it's way into the veternary practices, just like Rimadyl

You should really look into natural anti-inflammatories, like wobenzyme, curcumin, devils claw

Try "Fast Joint Care +" it works AMAZING...manufactured by Genuine Health (Canada), but can get through drugs.com (or other)

Genuine Health

They also have an arthritis one - same as noted but with an added couple ingr.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Im 50 and I dont feel old all the time it kind of comes in flashes. The first time I went OMG Im old was when I had a heart attack at 48. The other flash is when I buy clothes or look in the mirror. On the other hand I played soccer w/ Lucky in the snow and I still blast music in my truck and I love riding our quads. So sometimes I feel 25 and sometimes anceint!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I feel young in my head, but old in my body... I'm only 44 but some days I feel like I'm 80! Chronic pain is what has really done it for me, I just don't have the super-powers I did in my 20's and 30's. I have had to alter the way that I work, and have to pace myself, or I really pay for it.

I think the turning point was when I got mono about 5 years ago. I haven't been the same since. Then a pinched nerve in my neck and degenerative disc disease doesn't help at all. Chronic pain and fatigue hound me constantly; thank god my job is active and physical or I'd probably never get off my butt.

People say I still *look* younger than I am, which is good I guess, but I look in the mirror I see things and think, "When did THAT happen?!?"

I've had clients younger than me for a while now, but when I see cops younger than me... teachers younger than me... doctors younger than me... it makes me go "hmmm".
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.