Regulating media - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Regulating media

Is anyone else tired of reading the crazy news stories that occur every time a tragedy strikes?

Each news station does its best to "up" the others...and this includes falsifying stories and creating fake sources to accusing innocent people of being the killer.

I really wish that there was some kind of punishment or regulation for news stories that publish speculation or lies in regards to events like this.

All one has to do is read the thread from two days ago where people posted stuff from "the brother was lurking in the bushes in camo gear" to "the dad is dead" "the shooter was a father of a kid at the school" etc etc etc

Everyone continues to talk about gun regulation, but I have not heard one person say anything about this ridiculous media situation. The regular "internet" news writers are 100x worse than the paparazzi that we always hear about in a negative tone.

Yahoo News is #1 for spreading false stories then updating them every 30 minutes with more false facts....the martin treyvon case was awful, but this massacre was even worse.

Thoughts?

(And please don't make this a political discussion about the constitution, rights, etc. Just feel free to put your opinion about what would be done in an ideal world!)
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd rather people take more responsibility in filtering what they are reading or understanding the context. As for this recent event, I was watching live coverage starting almost right after it happened and a lot of information that was going out from the first few hours is now "wrong" but at the time I was watching it unfold I thought that the news channel I was watching was quite sincere in just wanting to know what the heck was going on, who was affected, what people were supposed to do, etc. Maybe the difference is not so much that the media gets it wrong, but now people internationally have access to local media and that local media are often reporting things that are in progress and can't possibly have every detail fact checked or completely accurate but are also doing an important job. I was watching a live local coverage and it was geared towards people who were in that area (parents wondering what to do, where to go, if their child was hurt, etc). As the events unfolded, information was communicated as soon as it was available whether it was 100% accurate or not. Now looking back and having a better timeline and understanding of what happened I'm not sitting here complaining that channel for not having everything 100% accurate. I personally did not see anything I would consider paparazzi; it seemed like those involved were being treated with respect. I saw a few kids interviewed but this was before anyone had any idea of what really happened (no idea that people were shot let alone so many dead) and I notice once that information was available they really backed off.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I am!!!! They're all in such an all-fired rush to get the sensationalist details out, that they can't even get the facts right!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.