German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   What tablet do you recommend? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/196389-what-tablet-do-you-recommend.html)

DJEtzel 12-15-2012 11:55 AM

What tablet do you recommend?

I'm looking to purchase a tablet this season... I'm self-employed and growing, and will be starting a new business soon, so I need more organization that I can share. Just looking for wifi for now I think, I don't need a data package. Mostly will be surfing web/interacting with customers, updating website and using an excel-type spreadsheet to fill orders and make appointments.

I have no idea what ipads offer vs. things like the galaxy note, so I'm looking for opinions from those who have used a few or heard a lot about them and/or use them for small business. I'm hoping to find one used on craigslist, I do not need the newest model of anything. Hoping to keep it under $350 but we'll see.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!

msvette2u 12-15-2012 11:58 AM

We have a Vizio tablet, and it's more than adequate. But I don't think you can get them now.
If I had the money and needed a tablet I'd get the Galaxy tab, yes.
But I'm thinking a mini-computer (net book?) or small laptop would be better, unless the small virtual keyboard isn't an issue. Definitely check out the Galaxy and see if you can be productive with it.
I see the Vizio tablet as more of an entertainment machine than production. Movies, games, and music, about all I use mine for, and light web-surfing.

GsdLoverr729 12-15-2012 11:58 AM

I have a 9.5" tablet powered by Android. Is called the Insignia. Good storage, camera on the front, tons of free apps, one yr warranty. Came with a charger, screen wipe, and usb cord to hook it up to a computer. Can also hold an sd card up to 32gb of memory.

Carriesue 12-15-2012 12:34 PM

I absolutely love my iPad and they do have some stellar business apps and a very good App Store all around.

I love the durability of apple products, I have an android phone and its just made out of plastic whereas iPads are made out of titanium and glass. They seem to stand up to the test of time better. iCloud is also great... Stores all my photos, contacts, to do lists, etc across many devices including my PC.

Though if you don't use or want to use iTunes then an iPad might not be right for you... You are kind of locked into using apple with their products but that doesn't really bother me. If you would be needing a USB drive too then android would probably be better since iPads don't have a USB drive, I find that I never need one though.

I have an iPad 4 but you could definitely get a first or maybe even second generation iPad in your price range!

DJEtzel 12-15-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks guys! I've been looking at the galaxy note and iPad 2 mostly. I can find the iPad for less than 200 like new. The galaxy is a little more expensive. I WOULD like an sd card reader or USB (or both!) so maybe that's something to think about. Still keeping an open ear.

msvette2u 12-15-2012 12:47 PM

Apple is far too proprietary for my tastes and you cannot upgrade the storage.
Samsung uses gorilla glass, I believe, on their tablets.

You can find nicer phones, yes, the less expensive ones are made of plastic or whatever, but the cheaper price tag was worth it to me. I just get a screen protector and I'm good to go :)

dogfaeries 12-15-2012 12:50 PM

I've only had iPads - original, iPad2 and currently the Mini. I've switched to the Mini merely for the size factor. It's easier to throw in my bag (smaller, not as heavy).

I use mine mainly for work (dog groomer). I have my appointment book on the iPad, using an app called Pocket Informant Pro. Keeps track of my grooming appointments, customers, notes, reminders. Email. I also order supplies from the iPad.

Works for me.

dogfaeries 12-15-2012 12:53 PM

Oh also you can get an Camera Connection Kit for the iPad2 that lets you use an SD card

Both my nail girl and my hair stylist use iPads for work too.

DJEtzel 12-15-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks Diane! That's pretty much the exact same thing I'd be using it for.

DJEtzel 12-15-2012 01:44 PM

I'm kind of leaning more towards the galaxy tab 2 10.1 from bestbuy now. An hour more battery life, bigger screen, cheaper. I have an iphone and *like* it, but I really support android operating systems more, ethically speaking. Lesser of two evils type thing. I'm going to best buy this afternoon to try them both out.