What tablet do you recommend? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

I don't think *any* tablet on the market is all that similar to a laptop, not for people that use a laptop as a computer, if that makes sense? A lot of people use laptops like tablets, and in those cases the tablet makes way more sense (cheaper, more portable, better battery, 3G/4G). I keep going back and forth on getting a tablet, I love the idea of it and watching how other people are more productive with it but every time I try one, I'm wanting to pull my hair out within minutes. I don't think I can wrap my mind around the concept of using apps and not being able to do normal computer functions like download a file, save it, and open it.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an iPad and regret getting it, there's nothing about Apple that I like ... too restrictive. For my purposes, I would have been much better off getting a laptop.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

I had the same experience (and have never purchased an Apple product though I use them at work and support them - I'm a HelpDesk analyst/computer support). I didn't get one but was seriously considering the iPad, then I checked one out from our AV loaner pool for an afternoon and gave up after a few minutes. I don't get what I'm doing wrong, lol! My MIL has one and she's getting rid of her computer, does *everything* on her iPad.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

I love my xyboard,, but that being said,, look for something with quad core capability... any android utilizing quad core will be more than worth it... ipads and iphones are for people that like cookie cutter products.. I prefer to customize to my preferences
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

My Brother in law came over today and was showing us the Nexus 7 that google puts on. He seemed to really like it because it has no restrictions and can do most things a small lap top can do, only on a smaller scale.
BroncoK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't need anything like a laptop. I need something simpler and quicker. I bought a galaxy tab 2 10.1 and kept it for about 3 weeks before selling in. I cannot handle the android operating system at all. I think I am going to try out an iPad 2 or mini... I really liked the tapgroom app on the android but it was slow and I couldn't sync it with my iPhone or manage my Facebook business page: no app available. ;(

I'm just hoping I can jail break an iPad 2 or mini and get the same app and spreadsheet program.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Ok, I was researching this for months and pretty much agreed with most of the reviewers when you google for the best pads.

If you have the money, and they are much more expensive, AND want them to always connect to the internet (not just over a wifi) then you need to get an ipad.

IF, however, you are like me and wanted to keep the cost closer to $200 plus a wifi only connection is fine then the 2 to look are really are the Kindle Fire HD or the Google Nexus 7. Both in the 7" models.

Both are light and easy to carry. Both are fairly easy to use. Both connect well with wifi. Love that they are so small you can slip them into most bags even smaller purses or carryons.

I ended up with the Nexus 7 and have had it for over a month. About 2 weeks in I bought a Kindle Fire HD for my mom and had to get it out of the box and entirely set up for her to open and use immediately when she ripped off the wrapping paper for Christmas. The are BOTH nice but I'm glad I have the Nexus 7.

It's abit more computerlike. There are notifications in a narrow bar along the top (like if I get email or facebook notifications or there are updates). I can see all the aps I have open easier and move from one to the next. I love that it's google based and has a ton of aps, many of them free. I can sync my calendars from computer to tablet. Even use different email addresses in the same email ap.

The ONLY issue I had with my Nexus7 was the initial setup. It comes with zero directions/instructions, so when I turned it on and it couldn't connect to my wifi I was in a jam because it wouldn't continue the setup. After a few hours and googling everywhere to figure it out, turns out my wifi security settings were the issue. Resetting them was it's own little nightmare, but made it easier when I visited my parents and had the same issue with their wifi which also had to reset it's security settings. Since then, no issues whatsoever.

Frankly, I am using my computer less since I got my tablet though it can't replace a regular computer. When I'm on my tablet and checking out this forum you'll know cause I'll have shorter responses and more typo's (right now I'm on a laptop so am typing away)

The Kindle is really a better ereader (go figure) which is my mom's primary use. PLUS, the good and bad is that it's so based on Amazon. So easy to buy things it's crazy, specially if you are have Amazon Prime. Lots of free stuff available easily. All good for my mom.

But what drives me nuts about the Kindle is all the advertising that is always popping up! There is no real homepage, when you turn your KIndle on the page you look at when unlocking it is an ad! So while it can certainly make your shopping easier with recommendations all over the place (like when you are on Amazon on your computer) that's not what I am using the tablet for.

So, for my mom the Kindle is perfect and she likes it. But I am glad I went along with the Nexus7. But if I had been rich I'd have gotten an ipad!!!!

Best 5 tablets - CNET Reviews

Click that link above...
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

can you download adblocks to the kindle fire? That would take care of the ads. I would rather get an Ipad too...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
can you download adblocks to the kindle fire? That would take care of the ads. I would rather get an Ipad too...
I'm thinking no because the ads are how they say they kept the price of the kindle to $200 . But I could be wrong.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #30 (permalink)

You can pay more for a Kindle without ads but I don't think you can block them on the ones that do.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.