Prayers for Melina - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm home....Thank you so much for your well wishes..

So I went to the ER on Wednesday night with severe stomach pains. (I had gone to the ER back in June with the same thing and they found a blockage in my common bile duct, which they took care of, so I thought maybe it had plugged up again). So they admit me....

They do bloodwork on me and a bunch of tests and tell me that first off my magnesium and potassium are dangerously low, so I need to stay at least long enough to get those up. Then I have an ultrasounds and x-rays done and the first doctor comes in in briefly (and I mean briefly, I don't think he even looked at me) and tells me he think my gallbladder needs to come out because it looks like stones. So I'm thinking, "okay, great...Another surgery". Then...I hear nothing back from him. The night goes by and in the morning another, female doctor comes in and I ask her when I'm set for surgery, she says, "Oh, no...We think it's an Ulcer". So I'm relieved, but confused. She tells me they want to do an Endoscopy on me for a better diagnosis...So I sit there for another 8 hours until they finally bring me down for one, and after the procedure, they find nothing wrong with me.

I feel like they jerked me around and I wasted my time there. Don't tell me one thing, then another, then another. Give me definitive answers....
Isn't it a nightmare? I went through the SAME thing... my PC telling me "go to the ER, NOW... I think it's your gallbladder".... turns out it's ulcers. I'm on protonics which helps immensely.

The thing with the ER's is, if it's not emergent, they want you out quickly. Ulcers aren't emergent (usually), so you basically become "not their problem" and they just blow you off. I'm sorry it was so hard for you The first time I had an issue with ulcers (before I knew about them), they discharged me from the ER... turns out the ulcer was beginning to perforate and I ended up right back there.

Anyways, I'm glad you are ok! ER's suck.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So, I had a follow up visit with one of the Doctors that I saw at the hospital...

He's ordered something called a HIDA scan on me. It's a test where they basically inject some sort of toxin into my body which travels to my gallbladder to made it contract. If it contracts, it's working fine. If not, we have a problem. Bad news is, it has to be done at the hospital, so it looks like I'm going back...Good news is, it's outpatient, so I should only be there for the day.

Hopefully the test will show that there's nothing wrong with my gallbladder...

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography
http://www.melinadphotography.com
Melina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

Wishing you good luck! But hey if you need the gallbladder out, no biggy, you don't need one anyway) Pesky gallbladders!

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for that...After my car accident, the thought of surgery in general doesn't sit well with me. On another note, I may be having another surgery anyway to have the plates/screws taken out of my right forearm from the rash as they've been hurting me Ugh. No end to this...

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmmm. My family keeps telling me I need to have my gallbladder removed. Both of my brothers and my mother have had theirs removed. I am having a lot of pain under my right ribcage that starts about 1 or 2 in the morning that lasts a couple of hours. This reoccurs every so often. I have not been to the hospital for it as the pain seems to be lessoning with each incident. The first time was VERY bad. I am not in a very good insurance situation so I avoid going to the hospital if I can get away with it. My dad keeps telling me horror stories to try to scare me into going in. For now I am just adjusting my diet to see if that helps. It seems like if I eat anything fried or real greasy during the day, the pain happens that night.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm curious as to what they'll say. Sounds like we've had the same sort of pain going on...they always just told me it was ulcers (and an endoscopy showed ulcers), but I had another Dr. convinced it was galbladder.... good luck!
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Thanks for that...After my car accident, the thought of surgery in general doesn't sit well with me. On another note, I may be having another surgery anyway to have the plates/screws taken out of my right forearm from the rash as they've been hurting me Ugh. No end to this...
Wow, what was I on last night? The rash? Hahaha....Man was I tired. Sorry, nothing to do with a rash. The plates just hurt significantly if I hit my wrist against anything so they probably need to come out.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #48 (permalink)

Hope all is well Melina! Best of wishes!!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Hmmm. My family keeps telling me I need to have my gallbladder removed. Both of my brothers and my mother have had theirs removed. I am having a lot of pain under my right ribcage that starts about 1 or 2 in the morning that lasts a couple of hours. This reoccurs every so often. I have not been to the hospital for it as the pain seems to be lessoning with each incident. The first time was VERY bad. I am not in a very good insurance situation so I avoid going to the hospital if I can get away with it. My dad keeps telling me horror stories to try to scare me into going in. For now I am just adjusting my diet to see if that helps. It seems like if I eat anything fried or real greasy during the day, the pain happens that night.
Hey . . .just so you know, you can only put it off for so long. I have a really high tolerance for pain and I started having attacks and I waited and waited and waited. Got caught out in public a couple times with a bad attack . . .as in sitting in a bathroom stall in a cold sweat for an hour until it passed. But then, finally, I had an attack so bad that I passed out on the floor. That was the one that finally made me say "I need to go to the doctor. I was LUCKY I was at home when it happened. LOL my surgeon said it was the worst gallbladder he'd ever seen and he didn't know how I'd lasted so long.

So please, don't wait too long. Once it gets to this point it isn't going to go away by itself. Diet can only help so much. And these days the surgery is really not bad at all. Outpatient, tiny scars, easy recovery.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Had the HIDA scan done, the Tech told me everything seemed okay during the test, but I won't know until the Doctor goes over the results which won't be for about a week and a half

Thanks everyone for the support...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.