Sick, cold, what do you all do for this??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Sick, cold, what do you all do for this???

Ok, I have had this cold for about a week, but today during my shower, I must have gotten water in in my ears. Now my ears feel like they have water in them. It is driving me berzerk.

How do you get rid of the water in your ears feeling?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

from swimming in a pool if I get water in my ears the trick I always used is stand on one foot(the side that has the water in it) tilt your head to that side and hop up and down on that foot. I dont know why but it has always worked for me, it drains the water i can hear again and all is right in the world. Hope it works for ya bud
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no clue.
I had a cold for two weeks. It developed into bronchitis, and the congestion caused a double ear infection. I still have both, so my hearing is "fuzzy." And I also feel like I have water in my ears (meds). So I can't wait to see these answers!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if you get no relief from tipping your head and giving it a little shake, then this probably needs to be checked out by a doc. not necessarily water from the shower. fluid in the ears can cause all kinds of problems, none of them good.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The hopping didn't help.

Yes I did try it. It might have worked if I did it this morning after my shower. Might have.

Should I take some cephalexin? Does that work for upper respiratory infections and ear infections?
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am not educated or able to give any medical advice (other than hopping on one leg which would work if there was water trapped in your ear) I would seek ACTUAL medical help (non emergency) from the pros rather than a couple yahoos on a dog forum i would not suggest self medication
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I used to swim a lot and would put my ear on a warm heating pad to draw out the water if I could not shake out. We used to put vinegar and alchohol in the kids ears when they were on swim team to prevent swimmers ear.........

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

SO, this sounds odd, not quite hopping, BUT my family swears by this, to hold a cut onion by your ear, OR Garlic and it supposedly brings out the fluid and pain. I have never tried it, but I did try it on my dog once and it helped! Also, you can tug on the top of your ear, and rub hard from the back of your ear lobe down to your neck (the same time you tug on the top of your ear) to try and open up that tube in there and help the fluid flush out.
BroncoK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
I am not educated or able to give any medical advice (other than hopping on one leg which would work if there was water trapped in your ear) I would seek ACTUAL medical help (non emergency) from the pros rather than a couple yahoos on a dog forum i would not suggest self medication
My doctor did not suggest a colonoscopy to a 60 year old woman who was complaining of fatigue and bleeding. I know because that 60 year old woman was my mother, and a patient of this same doctor for decades. If my brother and I did not insist that my dad insist that the doctor order a colonoscopy, she would be dead now. I think I am better off listening to a bunch of people on the internet.

My doctor is fine if you know exactly what is wrong with you and how to treat it. Then you can pay her $130 so she can write you a script for what you told her works for you. She can also order bloodwork and other tests that you can't afford.

I get a bad cold every year around this time, and the asthma makes it hang on. I know what meds I am allergic to. Ceph and E-miacin are about the only antibiotics I can take. Cipro I can take, but it makes me feel crumbier than the sickness. Antibiotics won't work on a cold, but they will work on a sinus infection/ear infection.

Back in the old days, you would just take some of Dr. X's Amazing Elixer no matter what the ailment was. I just don't want to go to the doctor for a cold. I owe her some blood work anyway, but I don't know if she wants yucky sick blood.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have sort of virus too, I'm exhausted and can't do much of anything but sit around and go online or read in bed.

Maybe your ears are not plugged from water, but from congestion in your ear or sinus? You can try inhaling some steam. I like to get a pot water almost to a boil on the stove, enough to get some good steam, then put a towel over my head and the pot of water until all the junk gets loosened up, about 10 minutes. Otherwise if there is really water, try laying down on one side of your head, and then the other see if gravity will help it drain.

Hope you feel better soon!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.