Sick, cold, what do you all do for this??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am going to give myself a hematoma if I don't stop shaking my head soon.

Already my neck is crackling.

My little sister's oldest gets ear infections bad, poor thing!
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well in that case I would suggest musinex if your coughing up crud, EMERGEN-C (I swear by this stuff!! I take it often), and then a cold and flu med. I prefer alkaseltzer because I feel it works faster! but I am not against day/nyquil either! all have helped me. I meant I wouldnt self medicate antibiotics you have laying around the house. lol sounds like you need a new doctor tho! hahah also i would also take advise online from people but from a medical forum rather than a puppy one, although I love the people of this forum and value their input on most everything!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I have sort of virus too, I'm exhausted and can't do much of anything but sit around and go online or read in bed.

Maybe your ears are not plugged from water, but from congestion in your ear or sinus? You can try inhaling some steam. I like to get a pot water almost to a boil on the stove, enough to get some good steam, then put a towel over my head and the pot of water until all the junk gets loosened up, about 10 minutes. Otherwise if there is really water, try laying down on one side of your head, and then the other see if gravity will help it drain.

Hope you feel better soon!
It is some kind of virus. It's awful. I have spent two days totally in bed. All I want to do is sit and play solitary, then turn and lean back and sleep in the chair, then sit and play solitary, listening to an audio book. I made a pot of chicken soup. But I am eating cough drops and can barely taste anything.

I went and got some DayQuil thinking that might help unclog the mucus. It's been an hour and a half and it has not. Early this morning I took a Claritin D and washed it down with a swig of Robitussen, then I went back to bed. That worked somewhat, as the pups woke me at 10:30.

I will try the pot of water, steam when I go home.

I feel like a big oozing germ.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
Well in that case I would suggest musinex if your coughing up crud, EMERGEN-C (I swear by this stuff!! I take it often), and then a cold and flu med. I prefer alkaseltzer because I feel it works faster! but I am not against day/nyquil either! all have helped me. I meant I wouldnt self medicate antibiotics you have laying around the house. lol sounds like you need a new doctor tho! hahah also i would also take advise online from people but from a medical forum rather than a puppy one, although I love the people of this forum and value their input on most everything!
I stay away from on line medical stuff. When I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, I went and looked it up, and might have committed suicide from reading people's discussions on it. It is a thyroid disease. So far, in the maybe ten years that I have had it, I have had to take a little pill once a day. Other than probably making me sterile, it really hasn't affected me at all.

Then my dad and I were both diagnosed with diabeties. He went and found all kinds of crap on the internet and became a fanatic. His numbers came back great though. I quit drinking sugary pop and dropped the anti-depressants. I know my numbers aren't going to be wonderful, and that is why I am steering clear of my doctor and her needles.

And then there is the asthma. That doctor would have kittens if he knew that there is no way in heck I can continue to buy his meds. But I have been doing so well without any of it, until two weeks ago. My pneumonia vaccine is probably over due, and no I didn't get a flu shot like I should have.

The asthma, diabetes and thyroid all affect the immune system and will make getting over this crap take a long time. And the idea of getting a new doctor up to speed on all the crap, what I am doing, what I am not doing is just daunting. I don't even want to go to the old doctor and she knows most of it.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

flu and pneumonia vaccines are not necessarily good, only work on a few strains of flu or pneumo, are preserved with stuff you might not want in your body. everybody's gotta decide for themselves, but i avoid them. if your immune system is compromised i would think you'd want to too.

problem with antibiotics is you must know what strain of bacteria you're treating or you can't be sure you're treating with the correct antibiotic. and then there's the issue of resistance to certain antibiotics being built up by the bacteria because of antibiotic overuse (not necessarily by you, but in general). of course, antibiotics don't work at all for a virus, but the ear fluid (all the upper respiratory fluid actually), can have a bacterial component.

good luck, lotsa people seem to have some kind of something going on. having spent so much time in the medical field, i tend to avoid doctors if i can help it. sounds like i'd avoid the docs you talk about LIKE THE PLAGUE. jeez. these people are supposed to be there to HELP US. hope you get better soon.

ps...emergen-c is amazing stuff. take it every day if you possibly can.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

"Wild" oil of oregano...drink it (must heavily dilute - strong) AND vapourize it either machine while sleeping or in a bowl of boiling water w/towel over your head for 10 mins or so 2-3x a day, but especially before bed.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Then my dad and I were both diagnosed with diabeties. He went and found all kinds of crap on the internet and became a fanatic. His numbers came back great though. I quit drinking sugary pop and dropped the anti-depressants. I know my numbers aren't going to be wonderful, and that is why I am steering clear of my doctor and her needles.
Normally I don't say anything about people's health decisions. My underactive thyroid was caused by surgery so I also take a daily thyroid supplement. But that's not why I'm writting this: PLEASE go to the doctor about your diabetes ... you don't have to have shots to get it under control BUT it does so much damage to your body you should at least get the numbers into the "normal" range if they're not already there. I don't know if you're over weight or not, but if you are, losing weight and watching your diet can do a world of good. I was like you and pretty much blew it off ... didn't watch what I ate (I was over weight ... way over weight), but I took my meds (pills only ... NEVER shots) and had high values because I ate whatever I felt like eating.

OK, I've lost over 100 lbs, kind of watch what I eat (but still cheat some times), have gone from taking at least 3 to 4 differenent diabetes meds a day (2 to 3 times a day), to no medications (I only test in the morning right now).

No, I'm not bragging ... this is the REST OF THE STORY.

Because I blew off following my doctor's recommendations for so long, I have mega health problems that won't get better despirte my current eating habits ... lots of problems with my legs including a pigment problem that makes it look like I've never washed them, chronic inflamation of my legs, sores that don't heal fast, numbness in my feet (not completely numb, but not 100% sensation either), and I'm having problems with my vision (not all of it old age related) and am not sure if I'll go blind or not, hope not.

There are other problems but not as chronic as the ones I've mentioned, and many of my health issues went away or got a lot better when I started following the doctor's suggestions. I don't want this to happen to you or anyone else so I figured I'd share this. And YES ... one of my biggest problems is I have a doctor phobia yet have to have a minimum of 4 doctor appointments a year now, 2 eye doctor appointments, lab tests, etc.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a virgin mouth, I cheat on my diet but try to follow it, plan my cheats, and enjoy myself. Like today I'm meeting my sister and niece at Red Lobster for lunch ... I'll eat a light breakfast and snack, and light dinner and snack and eat anything on the Red Lobster menu that strikes my fancy including maybe a glass of wine and dessert if I want it. I just don't do it every day!!!

I've also started going to the gym and using the exercise bike to help with my weight loss (I still have more weight to lose) ... haven't really noticed a big difference in my BS numbers except right after the exercise I have to eat a piece of fruit or something.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE THINK ABOUT WHAT I SAID AND THANKS FOR AT LEAST LISTENING!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do have an appointment, but not until Monday.

My ears are driving me nuts! They pop when I blow my nose.

And I don't want to get into what I hacked up today.

I keep passing out and sleeping for hours.

Let just say I feel like they should put a huge Mr. Yuck sticker on me.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

I stick with Sudafed and Wellness Formula (I get it at GNC usually). I take 1 Wellness a day as a precautionary thing, when I actually catch something I do 3 at a time, 2 or 3 times a day.
For my ears when they feel like there is water in them I put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in and hold it in my ear by holding my head sideways, then when it feels warmed up I will tip my head over and let the alcohol drain out which usually brings the water with it. My husband does the same thing but with hydrogen peroxide (he swears the bubbling breaks up any water or wax and gets things out.) My friend swears by those ear candle things but I'm too chicken to try those.
I'm probably NOT the person to listen to though, I haven't been to an actual doctor since my post-delivery check up when my daughter was born. She is now 16, so take that into consideration .

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!

Last edited by bocron; 12-15-2012 at 12:07 AM.
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

They do sell drops for your ears that take out some of the fluid and kill the pain. You shoud find them with cold stuff and that should help until you see the doctor on mon. Chicken noodle soup also will help clear your stuffiness. Mucinex cold and sinus also worked better for me, than dayquil and finally I got rid of my 3 week cold Hope you feel better soon. Has to be hard with all your dogs to take care of too.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.