Horrible news - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
I need to forward stuff like this to my wife... I am a federal correctional officer and I deal with thousands of inmates on a daily basis who have ties and ability to contact the outside world. I conceal carry everywhere I go for EXACTLY this type reason! I am trained and qualified to use my weapon if needed. She always says "UGH do you really need to bring that in _________" could be mall movies church or just about anywhere else we go. But I have read stories of mall shootings, like this one, movies like in Aurora CO, and Church (which is typically the most controversial) there was a shooting in TN where a guy brought a shotgun into a church and started blasting away which WOULD NOT have gone as far as it did if it were my church... I know there are other Law Enforcement guys on here and military that would agree with me, you just never know in this society... am i paranoid or do ya'll carry everywhere too?
My uncle worked for the county for forever (retired and now doing other security just not on a police force) and he was just under the sheriff so I think he basically ran the county jail. I'm pretty sure he carries all the time, or at least is qualified to (and carries for his new job). I never really think about it because he's such a quiet, play-by-the-book, never-raises-his-voice kind of guy, not the kind of gun-toting person I have in mind when I think of someone who is either paranoid or obsessed with exercising their "rights", lol.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
not the kind of gun-toting person I have in mind when I think of someone who is either paranoid or obsessed with exercising their "rights", lol.
Heh. I'd guess most of us don't fit that "mold"
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my dh carries, I choose not to. Probably with regret.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
My uncle worked for the county for forever (retired and now doing other security just not on a police force) and he was just under the sheriff so I think he basically ran the county jail. I'm pretty sure he carries all the time, or at least is qualified to (and carries for his new job). I never really think about it because he's such a quiet, play-by-the-book, never-raises-his-voice kind of guy, not the kind of gun-toting person I have in mind when I think of someone who is either paranoid or obsessed with exercising their "rights", lol.
For me it is more than just exercising my rights...Even as jailers those officers are Law Enforcement. Unlike cops who "cuff em and stuff em" correctional workers walk in and out of these housing units where not one person is an offender but ALL occupants are an offender. There is not carrying a gun in the jails/prisons. We do it with minimum weapons (as a Fed we carry NOTHING! and its 400+ to 1 officer...). Now while working in these units with countless offenders, generally days go off without a hitch. you show a little respect you gain a ton of respect, but when you have to do your job people say dumb things. Now a majority of the threats I get are against me, mostly "Ill see you on the outs" lol but when I hear them say it wouldn't be that hard to find where i live and pay my home a visit while I am at work" now that is a SCARY situation. This is why my wife knows how to shoot, and knows when to shoot! I carry off duty because like the saying goes, "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!" If someone is dumb enough to come after my wife kids or dog and they present "deadly force" or the ability to use deadly force, I will react inthe manner I have been trained and protect my own! My hats off to your Uncle!! County is one of the harder types of corrections to work for! they come in drunk and high right off the streets and get mad at jail staff even tho they were arrested by police. Many fights start because of that!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
my dh carries, I choose not to. Probably with regret.
It doesn't seem romantic but go on a date to a gun range, blow off a couple hundred rounds together, and tell me it is not one of the most amazing dates ever! My wife LOVES going to shoot, if she gets to pick dinner or gun range, its the range!! (then I treat her to dinner after)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't carry. Don't know how to shoot and don't know the gun laws for my state either. Though I think AZ is the type to allow conceal & carry. Personally I wish guns had been banned long, long ago... A date at a gun range sounds fun.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I always love the John Wayne super hero types that jump up after something like this occurs and brag about how they never leave home without their gun just in case a psycho with an assault rifle starts pumping rounds into whatever public place they happen to be. It's good to know they will all drop behind a table or door and start shooting back with the expert marksmanship that all have even if the psycho is dressed is body armor. Because the rest is us shmoes will be peeing our pants while we run for our lives .
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

What makes you think we wouldn't be peeing our pants too...???
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Has there ever been a time where a gunman has been taken down by a member of the public using their weapon??
I have often wondered why these nut jobs aren't shot by your average Joe over there given that many carry guns with them.
Over here when that lunatic shot all those people at Port Arthur in Tasmania many said if only someone had been carrying a gun they could have shot the mongrel.....well why is no one shooting them over there where you can carry a gun on you............maybe it just doesn't work that way.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
EXACTLY! To me this is why we have the second Ammendment right (NOT GETTING POLITICAL AT ALL I PROMISE). this kinda stuff would not have been tolerated in the wild wild west and shound't be tollerated now... So this coward goes in a mall killing some injuring many and getting to kill himself in the end? NOT if I am there... There will be gun shots, a few injured and if I can help it only one dead, the guy with the AK! I am not going out all John Wayne and wanting to shoot people, in fact I pray I never again have to pull my weapon (have had to take out my concealed weapon 2x so far but never use it) let alone actually use it but IF it ever comes down to a crazy man's life or my family... he loses 100% of the time!

I just want to point out that many frontier towns of the west in the 19th century had very restrictive laws. The guns had to be checked at the sheriff's office once the person entered the town.

Adam Winkler: Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?

This gives a really good look at gun laws from western frontier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Has there ever been a time where a gunman has been taken down by a member of the public using their weapon??
I have often wondered why these nut jobs aren't shot by your average Joe over there given that many carry guns with them.
Over here when that lunatic shot all those people at Port Arthur in Tasmania many said if only someone had been carrying a gun they could have shot the mongrel.....well why is no one shooting them over there where you can carry a gun on you............maybe it just doesn't work that way.
I personally believe that any average joes that are carrying are too busy running for their lives to actually enter into a gun battle with a maniac who is better armed.

The one case I know of where someone shot back, was at my friend's sister's murder. When her husband showed up to kill her with his sks assault rifle, even though her boyfriend was carrying, he did not start shooting him until the ex has already starting shooting her. The ex then started shooting the boyfriend and they both went down. The boyfriend his permanently disabled in one of his arms as a result. And the ex lived.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.