Ever been bitten by a poisonous spider? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yeah, well, I am over here digging at myself scratching and wondering if I have spiders in my shirt now!!!
I gota do it, have you ever thought of a snake under your bed
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I could have posted pics, you know. Or discussed the fountain, yes FOUNTAIN of blood, puss, and rotten flesh that spewed from my leg when it ruptured... Try sleeping now.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

BowWowMeow ... i so did NOT need to hear that ... I'm so not a fan of spiders and almost everyone I know knows that ... so they don't tell me things about spiders ... and it's not a subject I research ... so now, in my 40s I'm discovering that there are poisonous dangerous spiders in Ontario ... OKEY DOKEY ... I think I'm going to buy a huge netting and just walk around with that draped over me ... this thread has totally creeped me out!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just think-some people keep these guys as PETS. Hehehe
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
ShenzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #45 (permalink)
Elite Member

You just made me remember something from a very long time ago! I was about 18 or so and was visiting my friend. She lived with her boyfriend, who wasn't home at the time. We were in the living room and she went to the bathroom ... suddenly this MASSIVE freaking spider goes scurrying across the carpet. I screamed bloody murder and grabbed the telephone book and slammed it onto the spider. I then proceeded to stand on the phone book, jumping up and down ... just to make sure it was REALLY dead.

My friend comes back into the living room ...

Sylvie: Marion, what are you doing?
ME: Sylvie, you should have seen the size of the freaking spider ... it was massive ... don't worry, I got it
Sylvie: Um, what colour was it?
ME: Brown, something like that, doesn't matter, it's dead
Sylvie: Was it kind of fuzzy?
ME: How the heck should I know, it just started running across the room, so I killed it
Sylvie: I'll be right back ...

Sylvie leaves the room, comes back to the living room and says Tony is going to freak. Tony's her boyfriend ... that WAS his pet tarantula that he was supposed to have locked up before I got there!

OOOPPPSSSSS
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think youre crazy not to go on antibiotics since these things can easily turn into mrsa infections......im not an antibiotic fan in general but wouldn't risk it with a spider bite like that.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had a bite very much like Wildo did.

I work outside in construction. I was standing there, doing my job on a cold February morning when I felt something similar to a be sting. Told my lineman I think I just got stung. Of course he laughed.

Within an hour it was a welt about the size of a quarter. A few hours later, the size of a lime. At the end of the day the welt was the size of a grapefruit, and very painful to walk. Next morning, I went to Dr. Was given antihistamine's and a cream to rub into the wound/bite site. Dr. could see the bite marks! Within the first few hours the swelling was down, less painful. Never did see what got me, but assume it was a spider that had crawled into the leg of my jeans for warmth.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I think youre crazy not to go on antibiotics since these things can easily turn into mrsa infections......im not an antibiotic fan in general but wouldn't risk it with a spider bite like that.
I agree. I have a friend who was bitten by a spider while pulling out his lawn mower. It bit him on the fleshy part of the palm. Being a 'he' man he left it to heal on his own.

A few days later, while at work they rushed him to the hospital. They had to cut his entire arm, from the middle of his hand all the way to his arm pit and leave it open to drain. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. He went from ICU - they didn't think he would live, to a very good chance of losing his arm. He was blessed and didn't lose his arm. But it looks really nasty.

All due to a spider bite left untreated.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I did see the nurse at my doctor's office the day after I was bitten. She looked at it and she also called me yesterday. Unfortunately, I have way more experience with infections than most people ever will. I well know the signs of when to get going on antibiotics. I've been cleaning it and putting neosporin on it (actually a prescription ointment I have).

To immediately jump on abx wouldn't be the smartest move in my case after having so much exposure to them. Every time I take them I risk having that be the straw that breaks the camels back. I am already allergic to two major ones (including penicillin and that family). I need to make sure I don't screw myself out of more.

Actually, I think it looks slightly improved this morning. The blister is opened and sloughed off. The redness hasn't expanded (I marked it with a sharpie--it got bigger yesterday initially but has now reduced back to original size) so that's a good sign.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I agree. I have a friend who was bitten by a spider while pulling out his lawn mower. It bit him on the fleshy part of the palm. Being a 'he' man he left it to heal on his own.

A few days later, while at work they rushed him to the hospital. They had to cut his entire arm, from the middle of his hand all the way to his arm pit and leave it open to drain. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. He went from ICU - they didn't think he would live, to a very good chance of losing his arm. He was blessed and didn't lose his arm. But it looks really nasty.

All due to a spider bite left untreated.
I can guarantee you his arm was OBVIOUS in that it needed treatment. That is something else entirely to ignore.

Interesting about cutting his arm all the way open. This is actually similar to what I had almost 5 years ago, and my arm was the size of my husband's thigh from my shoulder to my sausage-like fingers (I had strep A virus in my arm, though). I had 5 surgeries on it (plus several manipulations later) and they had given me only a 15% chance of keeping the arm. I had a drain for 6 weeks--they did not leave my arm open during any of those. I wonder why they didn't use a drain...? I had 3 IV antibiotics given by slow drip, 3 X's daily (I had a PICC line in my left arm). This pretty much ensured I couldn't leave the house for 3 months. Then I was on pill antibiotics for several months.

Now you see why I don't just rush on them. They can really mess up your system when you're on them for over 6 months.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.