Ever been bitten by a poisonous spider? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are related to Brown Recluse. I do not believe they are quite as poisonous.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

In general, wounds heal better when kept moist and covered. It's a myth that they need to "air out" or "dry out". Scabbing actually pulls moisture out of healthy cells surrounding the wound and just makes healing take longer and scarring more likely. However if there's some kind of infection (thus "weeping") it might be recommended to leave things more "open", I'm not really sure as I've never had a bad insect bite. When I had the dog bite that ripped the back of my hand, I did keep it covered for about three weeks but this was a tear (the flesh was ripped like a little flap and then stitched back into place) and the puncture wounds from the bite were left uncovered but I kept them clean and applied a neosporine type cream. I tend to get staph infections on my skin quite a bit (sounds really gross but trust me, I've a very clean person! My dr. says my body acts "allergic" to normal, harmless staph bacteria that everyone has on their skin) and don't cover these spots but let them drain and weep while I'm on oral antibiotics and then I apply some sort of cream so that the area does not scab over and stays moist (normally I get this on my head so it's in my hair and you cannot see though I did have one on my face last spring and it made me horribly self-conscious even though it doesn't look as bad as a cold sore). My husband had two infected fingers recently and he would alternate between soaking in epsom salt water and then wrapping and was also on oral abx. So I guess in my experience the default is to keep the wound clean and moist, and cover it if it is at risk of getting dirty or being aggravated (by clothes or whatever). Otherwise let it drain while keeping it moist and make sure to keep the area moist while it is healing so that it doesn't scab and scar. The dog bite on my hand never scabbed over but I do have a really nasty scar, however that is due to the way the skin was ripped and then stitched back (I did not see a plastic surgeon, lol) and that my body started fighting the stitches so I removed them myself and now also have a string of little dot scars around the big scar where each stitch was.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lies, you can just make up some awesome story along the lines of "You shoulda seen da udda guy!"

I am waiting for a call back from the nurse. My DH was a little concerned this am, given my history of "waiting", lol.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

LOL between Phil and I we could write a book about wounds! One summer I had a walking cast on my leg from my toes to my knee and Phil had a road rash/burn on his leg from his ankle to his knee (he slid in a baseball game.....wearing shorts.....gah the wound was so bad he was actually shaking and feverish and this guy knows no pain!). My mom took our picture and put some caption like us getting into a domestic dispute, who won?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had surgery on my leg in August. The site where they did the surgery and had the skin graft was bandaged for quite a while (including Talfa pads), maybe 4 weeks or so. The donor site where they removed the skin for the graft had some kind of gunk that made like a bandage that fell off (it was like a scab) ... at no time was this area covered and I was told to let it have as much air as possible, especilly after that "scab" type thingy fell off - so the only time I put slacks on was when I had to go outdoors.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
OMG I am so glad I live in a cold climate!!!

hope you're doing ok, and that you don't need any meds!
We have HUGE wolf spiders at our cottage in Northern Ontario. They are sometimes as big as my fist.

I was bitten on the cheek by a spider at my cottage one summer. My whole face swelled up and one eye swelled shut and the other swelled partially shut. I put aloe and calendula on the bite and used tea bags to bring the swelling down. It worked but it took a couple of not very fun days.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

all spiders have venom which most people refer
to as poisonous.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
all spiders have venom which most people refer
to as poisonous.
I heard a daddy longleg has a lot of venom but does not have a bite hard enough to go thru our skin? It was only something I heard .
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Colloidal silver! To the rescue...you should really check out the benefits of it. My daughter had a cold sore and after 3 weeks of using neosporin, I told her to use the CS...two days it is going away. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve...101064?fref=ts
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I had surgery on my leg in August. The site where they did the surgery and had the skin graft was bandaged for quite a while (including Talfa pads), maybe 4 weeks or so. The donor site where they removed the skin for the graft had some kind of gunk that made like a bandage that fell off (it was like a scab) ... at no time was this area covered and I was told to let it have as much air as possible, especilly after that "scab" type thingy fell off - so the only time I put slacks on was when I had to go outdoors.
It was one of those brown spiders? Did it turn colors and black and ur flesh rotted before your eyes?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.