Wedding advice ;) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Congratulations!!! Just one thing; marriage is 100/100 not 50/50. (IMO). Good luck and enjoy your new life together!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Congratulations!!! Just one thing; marriage is 100/100 not 50/50. (IMO). Good luck and enjoy your new life together!
THAT is excellent advice.

Oh-- J.Crew has great dresses for really affordable prices Mine was $300 but it's just a simple silk A-line with no lace; at the time that I ordered it they had some beautiful lace ones too for around 700-1K
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Besides my advice of running away to Vegas and getting married then having a big reception when you get back (my total total costs were $3000, including dress, wedding, flowers, limo, reception) is this:

No one will notice anything that goes wrong but you.

This is you and your fiances day, no one elses, not your mothers, not his mothers.

Do your research of places, caterers, make sure to find out if the venue you chose lets you pick a caterer or if they require you use theirs.

Have fun. This is YOUR special day, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

I still recommend the Vegas route. I even got to choose my Elvis!

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

One word... well link Pinterest / Home Awesome site to find ideas and organize your thoughts!
Katie and Kai's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGSD2 View Post
CONGRATS!!!!!!

Besides my advice of running away to Vegas and getting married then having a big reception when you get back (my total total costs were $3000, including dress, wedding, flowers, limo, reception) is this:

No one will notice anything that goes wrong but you.

This is you and your fiances day, no one elses, not your mothers, not his mothers.

Do your research of places, caterers, make sure to find out if the venue you chose lets you pick a caterer or if they require you use theirs.

Have fun. This is YOUR special day, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

I still recommend the Vegas route. I even got to choose my Elvis!
Thank you for the advice!! I'm HUGE on research and I often take longer to make decisions than most people because I want to be absolutely sure I'm happy with where my money is going. WHERE or HOW to research these things is a little new to me though. I mean, how do I research venues if I'm not even sure what town I want to get married in? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
THAT is excellent advice.

Oh-- J.Crew has great dresses for really affordable prices Mine was $300 but it's just a simple silk A-line with no lace; at the time that I ordered it they had some beautiful lace ones too for around 700-1K
Silk isn't flattering on me (I've tried on some dresses for other occasions in the past and WOW...they were NOT ok on me. haha I'll definitely check out their lace ones though!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I just meant in terms of making decisions, I wanted his input to mean just as much as mine (instead of him saying, "whatever you want, honey"). I want the day to speak to who he is, just as much as it is a reflection of who I am. But I think I understand what you were saying

As far as effort in marriage, its 150% percent both ways!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Congratulations! Sounds like your future husband does not want any stress from wedding planning. But it's nice he's OK with whatever you want to do. I did not want any stress from wedding planning and we got married at the courthouse, but by that time my husband and I had known each other for 11 years, lived together for 9 years and had 6 year old twins, we did things backwards.

As for bank accounts, what has worked best for us is to just keep things separate, but share your bank statements with each other. In our relationship I handle the money because my husband hates going to the bank, standing in line, balancing the checkbook, etc. We have a TOD (transfer on death) for each other on our accounts. This way if something should happen the money would not be held up in the courts.

As for saving money, look for credit cards that offer rewards and pay off you balance in full every month. An example would be: we have State Farm Ins. State Farm also has on on-line back and we have a State Farm Visa. We earn points from using the Visa to be applied to our car/home insurance. One of our cars is almost insured for free each year. My husband likes Costco and got a Costco American Express. He uses that one and earned over $400 to spend at Costco last years.

The banks pay almost no interest now, so there is barely incentive to save, but in my daughter's case she got free banking services from Wells Fargo if she had a checking and savings account, direct deposit, and used her debit card for at least 10 transactions a month. So at least she is not losing any money in bank fees.

As for other ways to save, just don't get caught up in materialism. We always make our own coffee (never Starbucks), make our lunch and bring it to work, seldom eat out (I cook very well and usually am disappointed in what I am served in restaurants), I'm very good at shopping online for deals, I find more variety, often avoid our high CA sales tax, and often free shipping.Pretty much the only thing I splurge on is dog/pet related stuff and outings. Still, I do sign up for coupons on the websites of the dog and cat food brands I use. Good Luck on your saving and planning.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have actually been trying to eat-in more than I used to. I LOVE to cook, but the downside is that I can easily make a $50 meal that only lasts one night. I know its about finding a happy medium...don't worry...I eat PB&J with the best of them too haha...but unfortunately my job dictates a lot of me meals on-the-go. I DO try to pack when I can, but sometimes its just easier to grab a quick drive thru (which, I really DON'T prefer, but at least its a hot, fast meal) than to carry about 2 meals worth of food in a cooler.

I have state farm myself and never knew they had a credit card. I'll look into that.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no advice, buuuut...

CONGRATS!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
I have actually been trying to eat-in more than I used to. I LOVE to cook, but the downside is that I can easily make a $50 meal that only lasts one night. I know its about finding a happy medium...don't worry...I eat PB&J with the best of them too haha...but unfortunately my job dictates a lot of me meals on-the-go. I DO try to pack when I can, but sometimes its just easier to grab a quick drive thru (which, I really DON'T prefer, but at least its a hot, fast meal) than to carry about 2 meals worth of food in a cooler.

I have state farm myself and never knew they had a credit card. I'll look into that.
State Farm Bank® – Visa Credit Cards
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.