Miniature Australian Shepherds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Miniature Australian Shepherds

What does anyone know about Mini Aussies?

My sister supposedly got one a few weeks ago. According to her it's not going to get more than 15 pounds (not according to what I have read) and it is pure white (totally against standard). I had a couple of poor quality cell phone photos emailed to me (sucks I already deleted them or I'd post them) and the dog in them is tiny and looks more like a Pomeranian mix than any Aussie Shepherd I've ever seen.

Supposedly she has "papers" that it is purebred but considering her that might just be a vaccination record. I can't find a legitimate club that registers them in Canada (they are not a CKC registered or even listed breed) and I'm not sure if the AKC will registered litters of FSS breeds born in Canada. Does anyone know where it could be registered? I'm thinking the only possibility is a scam registry like the ConKC.

This one supposedly comes from Alberta but I don't know who she got it from though the breeder did insist on keeping it until it was 10 weeks old.

I wouldn't be surprised if sis got ripped off. She thinks she knows everything there is to know and the member of the family that trained the family dogs and cares for them, that studies training and is on the board of a national club knows absolutely nothing about dogs. She would never come to me for advise on getting the dog, I wouldn't be surprised if she bought from a pet store just to annoy me. She may not come to me for help when she has problems but if she does she's going to want instant fix, no effort fixes. Too bad for her the only thing I'll do is give her the name of a really good trainer I know from Saskatoon. Though according to my mom who just got back on Sunday, this 13 week old puppy is perfectly trained.

I'm just worried about this little pup once sis gets bored with it. If something she wants doesn't work the way she expects it to in her fairytale land she ignores it. This puppy will hit the teens and the fairytale will fall apart and sis will want it fixed instantly without any effort on her part or will dump the problem.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The only thing I ever hear is that most responsible Aussie breeders are opposed to the "down-sizing" of them. They have enough genetic issues as it is.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Miniature Australian Shepherd Information and Pictures, Miniature Australian Shepherds

This is what I could find for you. Hope it helps
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The only thing I ever hear is that most responsible Aussie breeders are opposed to the "down-sizing" of them. They have enough genetic issues as it is.
Exactly, and the Canadian Miniature Aussie Shepherd Association has NOTHING in their COE or bylaws about mandatory health testing so that says a lot about that association.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I seem them in agility. Aren't the all white Aussies deaf?

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
Exactly, and the Canadian Miniature Aussie Shepherd Association has NOTHING in their COE or bylaws about mandatory health testing so that says a lot about that association.
I checked out some breeders and some do guarantee health in the contracts. However; I'm in America and don't know much about Canadian breeder/association laws or anything.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

We started puppy class last night and there is a mini Australian shepherd in the class. She is 10 weeks. She's tiny. She fits in her owners two hands. She is a red Merle. Very timid, but considering she was in a class with our GSD and an Akita, I wasn't surprised she seemed nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
ShelbyCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
This.
The ones I've heard of are nervous messes.
They only bred the smallest of the small to get "mini" Aussies, there is no such thing as per AKC.
Another "fad" dog, IMO.
Any time you breed the runts you're going to see increased health issues; here, we see dogs bred as "toys" and what not (Chis spring to mind) and then you start seeing issues like liver shunts, defective and non-existent kneecaps, heart murmurs and the like.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Weren't the Miniature American Shepherds that are now in the AKC Foundation Stock Service originally called Miniature Australian Shepherds? Same dogs but not quite as small as what people are now calling the MAS?
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have aussies, and one day I will get a mini I DO know alot of reputable mini breeder who health test, show their dogs and as with any breed there are alot of unreputable ones who will breed to anything to get that small size.

15 pounds, is a little light even for a mini, are you sure she didn't get a TOY aussie, and yes unfortunately those are out there A friend got one at, of all places a flea market Cute little thing, didn't get over 12 lbs, but looked pomeranianish..

If the puppy is all white, I would have it checked for deafness

My rescue came out of a merle/merle breeding (frowned on), two of his litter mates were lethal whites (deaf), two were fine, two 'iffy', health issues.

The mini's are usually shown in ARBA (Rare breed) and registered with them.

The majority of mini's my friends have , range in weight from 22-30lbs.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.