Miniature Australian Shepherds - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

My flyball team captain has two of them. They are fun little dogs but not really my "thing". Honestly one of hers reminds me more of a Papillon than an Aussie. I wonder if they were crossed in to bring down the size.

I have another dog friend that owns, trains, titles, and breeds Aussies and often has ones that are small. If you say "mini Aussie" she will go off, lol. Hers are a variety of sizes but her best competition dog (has like 40 titles) is probably about 20lbs but was *not* bred down for size, she just breeds the temperament and conformation she likes whether it's 40lb or 20lbs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Aussies are an interesting story. When I was a kid in the 70s, Australian Shepherds were working dogs; ranchers owned them. They were not big dogs, maybe 40 lb. and lean working machines. They were active, headstrong dogs and had a reputation for being biters.

When the Aussie was accepted into the AKC, I couldn't believe how BIG the dogs were, blocky and big-boned, and how much coat they had. None of the Aussies I saw working on ranches looked anything like these show dogs. I thought to myself "when did they get so big and hairy?"

Now, they've turned around and created the "mini" Aussie, which is probably just the original, lighter working Aussie bred down in size.

It's funny to me that the original Aussie was a good working medium size, then the AKC came along and made it bigger, and then others came along and made a "mini" version, as though the original medium size is too boring.

Americans can't seem to stand anything medium or moderate--it's got to be extreme, either be extremely big or extremely small, no room for the middle.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It's funny to me that the original Aussie was a good working medium size, then the AKC came along and made it bigger
I understand what you're saying, (breed changing sizes) but the AKC doesn't really have anything to do with breed standards, they're submitted by the parent club.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was looking into possibly getting one in the future.
However, a lot of the ones that I have seen look more like Ozzy mixes than Aussies.
Now, I have seen a couple nice mini Aussies. They should look like small Australian Shepherds, not Pomeranians. The few nice ones that I thought, if you look at a picture of them, you wouldn't know it was a mini.

I don't think the register bill with AKC or any big parent club, but if I remember correctly, there are 2 registries for them. I think they're also acceptable in the rare breed Association.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

Don't they have a different name completely like North American Australian Shepherds? There is also 1 on my flyball team. He is very fast away from flyball but has no confidence so he doesn't run it in the lane.

Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, AD, CGC

Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.
Caja's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

AKC has recognized them as the Minature American Shepherd and a totally different breed then the Aussie.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

some breeders have crossed with paps/poms, going for that smaller size..you usually end up with what Lies sees, pom/pap heads

A mini aussie should look like a mini aussie

When I was looking into them 13 years ago, I was also seeing BIG aussies, their size standard is not something that's really "enforced", they will overlook size for the big picture.

I was also seeing alot of biting big mouth aussies espec in agility, and swore I was not going to have one of "those"..

I didn't get one of "those", my female Jynx is 13 yrs old and has always been a sweet girl who wouldn't hurt a bug even if she has her own agenda at times.. She is 21" at the shoulders and the size I prefer.

My male is out of working lines , more serious also 21"..I don't want anything bigger when it comes to aussies..

Anyhow, here's a pic of Jag (male) he just turned 12. I can't believe where the years went, they are both still VERY VERY active dogs who aren't showing sign of slowing down anytime to soon

And this is Jynx.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I swear there is a conspiracy to name all Aussies Jinx/Jynx. I've heard so many named such it's just funny.

I'll get to see her a few weeks and get a couple photos. Poor pup's got a busy schedule with people wanting to meet her. Already there is a trip to the petshop and the senior's hope planned. If sis will speak to me I may actually be able to find out what kind of registration it has.

The minute I heard she was pure white the thing that ran through my head was "double merle, lethal white, deaf...greeeatt." Grinds my gears all the more since sis has a freaking Master's degree in genetics and her future mother-in-law is a retired vet. Thankfully, so far as I can tell from what mom's told me is that pup can hear.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I understand what you're saying, (breed changing sizes) but the AKC doesn't really have anything to do with breed standards, they're submitted by the parent club.
You're right--what I meant was "Along with AKC recognition I noticed an increase in size"... I just said it like a drunk five-year old.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

The minis I've seen or met looked like Pap heads and were nervous little nuts.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.