Anyone Want To Hear A Good Story About Cops And Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Anyone Want To Hear A Good Story About Cops And Dogs?

My husband was at work last night, when he saw a boxer that had been hit by a car in the breakdown lane of a major highway. He pulled over seeing that the dog was trying to get up and run back into traffic. Another off duty officer pulled over to help. The boxer was dragging it's hind end and was clearly seriously injured. My hubby called the dog over to him, trying to get her to come away from the 70+ mph traffic. The dog came over, hubby stuck his hand out for her to sniff and she attacked him. He has really bad puncture wounds on his hand. He managed to get a hold of her collar and he and the other officer tried to calm her down. They put her in the other officer's truck and took her to the 24 hour emergency hospital. They found the owner, who had been searching for her dog for hours. Apparently she was out hiking with her dog, when the dog took off after something. The dog has a shattered pelvis and broken legs. They are going to try and save her through surgery. She will have to have plates put in her pelvis and will need to be immobilized for 3 months. The prognosis is excellent if the surgery is successful. My husband is home injured from work for a week with the dog bites. His hand is very swollen and he wouldn't be able to use his gun, so they put him on injured leave. I am amazed that no one stopped to help this poor animal before my husband and the off duty officer stopped to help.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kudos to these officers for helping the dog. She must have been in an extreme amount of pain. I'm so sorry your husband was bitten. I'll be praying for his speedy recovery.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you to your husband and the off duty officer who helped. I think thwere are alot more officers out there who do all kinds of positive things for others,animals and the community. Thank you to your husband and hope he recovers quickly. Bet Wolfie likes having his dad home even though its not for a pleasant reason.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks for the prayers. I said to my husband that the dog must have been in a lot of pain for her to attack him like that. He said that he never even gave it a second thought after she bit him, his only thought was to get her some help.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Thank you to your husband and the off duty officer who helped. I think thwere are alot more officers out there who do all kinds of positive things for others,animals and the community. Thank you to your husband and hope he recovers quickly. Bet Wolfie likes having his dad home even though its not for a pleasant reason.
All my husband did when he got home was hug Wolfie, and of course Wolfie loved it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kudos to your hubbie. Hope he fully recovers.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What really bothers me is that the person that hit the dog never even stopped to try and help the poor dog.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes people just can't stop - especially on a major highway. Or - maybe someone else did try and either couldn't get the dog to come, or feared getting bitten. Your husband is one in a million. He definitely put himself in harms way to save that dog. The owner must be very appreciative. I hope he/she rewards your husband in some way. (Other than covering his medical bills.) He has earned that.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you to your husband and colleagues for saving her life!

Yesterday we were in Spokane, and there was a reader board above the highway that said "Dog on roadway - 3 miles".
Sure enough, there was a pit bull walking down the highway (three lanes) in between the lanes of traffic.
We stopped to try to get him into the car but he kept going. Someone else was trying to help him as he passed them, I prayed they got him.

I'd never seen anything like that - the reader board sign!?
It was very cool and traffic had slowed to a crawl to make sure the dog was safe.
I just hope someone managed to get them in their car...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Thank you to your husband and colleagues for saving her life!

Yesterday we were in Spokane, and there was a reader board above the highway that said "Dog on roadway - 3 miles".
Sure enough, there was a pit bull walking down the highway (three lanes) in between the lanes of traffic.
We stopped to try to get him into the car but he kept going. Someone else was trying to help him as he passed them, I prayed they got him.

I'd never seen anything like that - the reader board sign!?
It was very cool and traffic had slowed to a crawl to make sure the dog was safe.
I just hope someone managed to get them in their car...
I love that! What a great use of those highway reader boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.