Calling all folks with Stained Concrete Floors! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have looked into vinyl but wanted to stay away from the VOCs. There are varieties that don't offgass that are corn based not petroleum based but they look pretty institutional and are only offered with an adhesive install. And for an adhesive floor we could do true linoleum [which is high maintenance, I know from personal childhood experience]. ... so for now, just looking at the concrete options. Thanks.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but the flooring in the kitchen at my work office is stained concrete and has lasted a very long time under high traffic. Since this was a commercial floor, it may be apples & oranges to a residential floor. Anyway, here's some pics of the floor. It's looked like this for at least 7 years.

[EDIT]- the floor is very slippery when wet!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 11-30-2012 at 04:15 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have seen some amazing stained concrete floor pictures for sure! It is apparently quite trendy. The thing I do like is that it is not the kind of thing (I would stay with the normal baseboards) that would put someone off if we decided to see later because you can always carpet or put flooring over it. The walkout basemenet is nice, finished, 10 foot ceilings....so a good airy space.....I will have to ask about slipperiness because it sounds like epoxy could be more expensive than stained but the coating could have some influence....

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Found a neat site for this.
Concrete Design Ideas, Contractors and Pictures - The Concrete Network

Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Polished concrete can be really, really cool looking with the colors and textures available. You have to do a lot of prepwork to the concrete, though, and if you don't do it right, the polish will start flaking off within a few months. I made that mistake when I did the floors in my grooming shop. They looked awesome at first, and actually had pretty good traction, but they didn't seal properly and the high-traffic areas were flaking badly within a year. If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely have a professional take care of it.

I love Chris Wild's epoxy flooring! We had that in a veterinary hospital where I used to work, and that floor was bombproof.

The concrete is hard on your feet if you're doing a lot of standing or working on the floor, but rugs and matting can take care of that problem.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I definitely think we will hire a professional. If this was a starter home maybe we would experiment but anything I do I think about how it could impact reasale down the road.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cool Home Creations: Finishing Basement: Faux Finished Floor

I'm totally in love with that finish and want to do it on the basement in our new house, the ceiling at our place is only 7', so not usable, but just to make it less dungeon-like. I'm going to do it this winter in the room I intend to use for my canning, try a small space first.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think one bit of advice would apply here just as it would to the stained floor covered with polyurethane...need to make sure a good vapor barrier is under the concrete. You can test by taping a piece of plastic down and seal the corners and look for darkening af the concrete or condensation. If you have it there is a bigger problem to manage.

There better not be here. We are in a radon belt and code requires a vapor barrier between the concrete and the earth.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, that is the thing right, our inspection was the most expensive our realtor had seen, but really, it had an outbuilding (shed/garage with it's own panel) and we paid for the thermal imaging, now on that day, it showed no moisture issue, but, can we bank on that 6 months from now? Same as hot electrical spots, nothing showed that day... Do you trust tomorrow to be the same as today LOL. I'm going to give the finishing a shot, I mean it's 10'x10', if I screw it up...
The walls I am doing in flex rock, a light camel color, the basement being only 7' tall is unusable, I just want it to be pretty. Not an imagined nightmare for doing laundry LOL. I am hiring painters to paint the ceiling, going to do that neuvo-cool black industrial look for the exposed wood.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Cool beans!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.