in some real trouble - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

Default in some real trouble

so...i have to vent this somewhere...i figured you all are smart, maybe you would have some ideas for me. so to make a long story short, i picked up my life (and my dog) and moved from massachusetts back home to nj. i tried to get a transfer through my company, had an interview, then it was given to somebody else with in the company. boo. soooo now, i have no job and i'm freaking out. i've done all the monster.com stuff but i've been told all the jobs on there are foolish and scams basically. i've been pounding the pavement, handing out my resume, been in touch with the recruiter for my company...i feel like a failure. i know there's no time for a pity party, but every now and then i can't deal with it...i don't know what it is to not work. so i guess i'm just kind of looking for suggestions from others that may have gone through this.

end rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

OH I feel your frustration!!! I was unemployed for 5 months and it was hard. I'm a smartie pants too, lots of experience, biligual, degrees, certifications, etc. but guess what ... so do other people ... so in the end, it's all about "getting that interview".

I don't know if you have temp agencies / consulting companies where you live but I registered with about 20 of them. It's downright humiliating to take a freaking typing test but it's the only way to get on their list.

In Ottawa, they've laid off tons of people, and are not "re-hiring" so our economy is in the tank right now. They say they are creating more jobs, but unfortunately, these are "lower income / entry level jobs" and I'm sorry, but I'm not pumping gas to make less money than I could make on Employment Insurance. Because once you take that job, they're not going to help you anymore!!!

I set up alerts on "indeed.ca" and "ziprecruiter.ca" and then followed up with the temp agencies afterwards. I hounded, called, emailed, etc. and then I finally got a job after 5 months. I now sit in a job that I can't stand, have nothing to do, but at least I'm getting paid. On the up side, I've just discovered that I won a contract that I applied for back in June and will be starting within the next couple of weeks.

The only positive? Kyleigh was 10 months to 15 months of age while I was unemployed. We got some ROCKING training in there, and she's awesome!

So there you go ... it's hard, it sucks, it's scary, it's unfair, it's demeaning, it's humiliating, it's frustraing, and then finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I applied for over 800 jobs before I got the one I'm in right now!!!

Keep at it, and try to stay positive ... fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Kind of going through the same thing moved from Massachusetts to Washington State for my husband's job and been seriously searching for a job for the past month. I am going crazy not working! So what I've been doing with my spare time and to keep my sanity is volunteering at a hospital that's within walking distance. It's at my leisure and I'll go in and help out for a few hours and if a lab position opens up I'll get priority. I've also added volunteering to my resume and have received a few call-backs and have a few interviews lined up. I don't know if my searching is paying off or because of the local volunteering specifically but I am sure it doesn't hurt. You could try something similar? Also I've been skipping those sites like monster and going directly to local company's/hospital's websites and searching their job postings directly. You can try that if you haven't? Although its hard if you're new to the area but still very doable! Not sure what your field of work is but hang in there! I'm sure an opportunity will open up! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Try a temporary agency.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My husband used monster and carreer builder, he got a job within a month of really making an effort (he was employed at the time so he was picking & choosing).
You have to give it some time, it's not all a scam online.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of companies will only go through employment agencies for new hires. I'd register with as many of those as you can.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

thanks everyone. i spoke with a friend last night who recommended a temp agency to me so i contacted them this morning. it's so scary to me because i don't have a lot of savings...i footed most of the bills in my relationship on a very humble salary...which left me little to no money to save by the time my school loans, insurance, electric, dog and food bills were paid every month. all i can do is keep on hustling. it's ironic...i have all the time in the world to look for jobs, but it's so hard to find the energy to do it. i guess that's what they call depression. i hate every minute of it, but hopefully something will turn up. i may just have to go back to slinging drinks in the mean time to cover my expenses.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have a support system where you live now? Family, friends, former employers? If you get word out with the people you know, maybe that kind of word-of-mouth networking can help.

I totally understand the irony of having all the time in the world to job-hunt, and no energy to do it. It seems every time things have gotten bad for me, I have too much time and not enough money, I think I'm at least going to get some stuff done around the house... think I do? Nope. I can barely pry myself off the couch. And yes, it's called Depression. Hopefully for you it is only a temporary situation.

Nothing wrong with slinging drinks! What is your usual occupation?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't feel too bad. When my brother in law lost his job it took him two years to land another job and he has a phd. He also had to make a move to the opposite side of the country. While he was looking (and I mean he looked hard for a job) he did free lance consulting work to pay the bills. This was also agrevating because very few people would pay him on time so he was always scrambling.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The last time I was desperate for a job was just before everyone used the internet. At that time I gave up on using the classified and would research the large employers in the major city nearby and go directly to their HR or employment center. At the time I hit several banking centers in SF and landed a job at my first interview because I accepted graveyard shift.

I don't know your skill but try the websites for your county govt offices, hospitals, colleges, hotels, and craigslist. I also noticed that Indeed.com seems to be a very good, legitimate source for jobs.

What I found recently which is somewhat of a bummer is that some HR offices will not see you in person but want only on-line applications and resumes. Good Luck!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.