in some real trouble - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Do you have a support system where you live now? Family, friends, former employers? If you get word out with the people you know, maybe that kind of word-of-mouth networking can help.

I totally understand the irony of having all the time in the world to job-hunt, and no energy to do it. It seems every time things have gotten bad for me, I have too much time and not enough money, I think I'm at least going to get some stuff done around the house... think I do? Nope. I can barely pry myself off the couch. And yes, it's called Depression. Hopefully for you it is only a temporary situation.

Nothing wrong with slinging drinks! What is your usual occupation?
yes i do thankfully! i moved back in with my parents after 9 years of living out on my own. i know things could totally be worse...i could be homeless, i could be sick, i could be with out everything i have now. i went to speak with a good friend of my family just now and he and his friends opened my eyes to some things i didn't think about. it was nice to bounce ideas off of somebody else because when you're in your head about it all day long, things can get very confusing. i've also been working since i was 15...i don't know what it is to NOT work...it's been very hard on my morale.

i bartended in downtown boston before i started my "real" job, so i know i am fully capable of falling back on that. the job i just left was in early childhood education. i started out as a teacher and eventually got promoted to an education coordinator/lower level management. working for my company and as a bartender i know i have a lot to offer, as the traits you need for those jobs lend themselves to lots of things. i think for the time being i will take a lower job with my current company just to maintain my benefits. this will leave me with the morning until about 12 or 1 to keep on searching for other opportunities.

thanks again everyone for the encouragement and ideas...i totally wasn't expecting to find myself in this situation..but here i am. hopefully the only place i go is up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ah, if you are living with your parents, being temporarily unemployed is not quite so dire. When you have a mortgage, bills to pay, a family to feed, and then suddenly find yourself unemployed it can be an absolute disaster. You have a safety net and that sets you up for success, IMO. You don't HAVE to take the first paying job that comes your way, you can afford to wait for the job you really want. However, I understand the work ethic, and the negative feelings that go along with being unemployed no matter what the situation.

I might suggest job-hunting during the day and slinging drinks at night, just to get some positive cash flow.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could you do private tutoring for a while? Seems good tutors are always in demand.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Check indeed.com and make a profile on linkedin.com and network. Best of luck!

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Baby sitting maybe? We were in your situation but no parents to help. I cut out all luxuries, magazine subscriptions, no dinners out or movies out, shopping at outlet grocery stores, etc.
The dogs got a lesser quality kibble and we kept a positive attitude and above all exercised a lot. After 7 months a job finally. I know it is very scary. I already had the breed rescue lined up but thank God, that job came in time.
I wish you good luck and a nice job very soon.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

have you looked on craigslist? Lots of jobs listed there as well.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Good luck! Hang in there, something will come up. Good vibes going your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Panthro's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Could you do private tutoring for a while? Seems good tutors are always in demand.
And they make darn good money!
Wishing you the best cta in your employment search. If you have a bit of cash reserve, see if you can volunteer somewhere you'd like to work....they may find you irreplacable and hire you on.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

keep looking for a job. next time have a job lined
up before leaving your old job and moving. adversity
gives you character.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Go to USAJOBS.gov This is how the federal Government hires for ALL positions. You can build a resume (and I would do a seperate one for each position you apply for that pertains to that specific job and skills), you can browse all federal agencies and there is a HUGE scope of employment on there everyday! I did nearly the same as you, I got a divorce, left Alabama leaving my job as ex military and correctional officer to start off back home in Jersey. I applied for EVERY prison in the state and was told i didn't qualify (even with experience and veterans preferance.) I applied to the department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Prisons and was hired very quickly! I now make triple my salary from Alabama and can transfer to almost any state in the coutry as long as they have a fed prison. Prison may not be a choice for you but we have teachers, cooks, medical staff, secretaries, acountants, and tons of non custody jobs! I am not saying hey come to the FED BOP but deff give that website a look and see if you can't find something that better suits you! GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.