To balance it out... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
ozzymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 7,003
Default

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and want to donate to the organization circulating the story, Oh wait, good stories sell donations at the holidays Just playing Devil's Advocate.

**** Comment removed by ADMIN - uncalled for nastyness about the featured article ****

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-28-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Totally out of line comment.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

It makes me want to donate to charity, oh wait, we're doing that already
Police officers do good deeds all year long. It's nice someone noticed.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
ozzymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 7,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It makes me want to donate to charity, oh wait, we're doing that already

Saying I don't? Nice!!
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
ozzymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 7,003
Default

After a few minutes on google, apparently facebook is blowing up with this story circulated by the NYPD, this is true, the homeless guy likes cops - weird for a homeless person, used to carry a sign saying "Hey Mike, the boys in blue need a raise", is often seen walking shoeless even in the dead of winter from Times Square to the Meat Packing District. Several police men have given him their boots, but the guy wear a size 15 ad never wears shoes or boots.
I'm just saying, do your research, everybody hits you up this time of year. How many people give to the red kettles? Do you actually know the Salvation Army's stance on many important issues or the fact their own people steal from their donations to profit themselves? The fact they would refuse gays living below the poverty line because they (the church) are anti-gay?
Cops do things all the tie, out of the goodness of their hearts, many would be sick to know their good deeds are used to solicit funds. Think about it, the last time you looked around a restaurant and sought out someone whose dinner you could anonymously pay for, would you want the restaurant using it to gain revenue or to get donations for their own charities, or do you just pay someone's dinner because they look like they could use help? I frequently pay for the order of whomever is behind me in a drive thru, I would never frequent the drive-thru again if I knew someone would mention it, if the restaurant would use it to their own avail. I'm just saying, regard these stories with a critical eye.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
x11
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,291
Default

i think people got to stop looking at cops as super-human, like all humans they have good and bad, altho the work they do is sometimes superhuman imo.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
I'm just saying, do your research, everybody hits you up this time of year.
...A citizen took the photo.

I have no idea why you're trying to make a case out of this - if people want to donate to Unicorns and Rainbows, or to the NYPD, or the Salvation Army, etc., that is their business.
I'm certainly going to continue to donate to the places I feel like donating to.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
I'm just saying, do your research, everybody hits you up this time of year.
Cops do things all the tie, out of the goodness of their hearts, many would be sick to know their good deeds are used to solicit funds... I'm just saying, regard these stories with a critical eye.

I just paid for some woman's month supply of medication at the pharmacy.
She was only able to afford a week's worth and was going to cut each pill into 1/4 ... Which the pharmacist warned her NOT to do.

I didn't know her and don't care that she doesn't know me.

It was a simple thing to do. I certainly hope that someone might do that for me one day, if I'm ever in that position.

GEEZ...

Last edited by KatsMuse; 11-29-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Wrong quote inserted
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Marnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i think people got to stop looking at cops as super-human, like all humans they have good and bad, altho the work they do is sometimes superhuman imo.
I agree. I've met good and bad tho I have to admit, I met more good when I lived in the south and more bad here in Illinois. Maybe it's because of the people they deal with--drunks, fighters, thieves, druggies... Mostly cops are all just ordinary people who often rise to extraordinary heights when faced with extreme situations.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
I agree. I've met good and bad tho I have to admit, I met more good when I lived in the south and more bad here in Illinois. Maybe it's because of the people they deal with--drunks, fighters, thieves, druggies... Mostly cops are all just ordinary people who often rise to extraordinary heights when faced with extreme situations.
Because of the uniform they are judged harshly.

The last experience I had, I thought I was going to DIE. I got pulled over, for no apparent reason, and it was getting dark as it does these days, early, around 4-5pm it's dark out.
Anyway I'm headed out of Union Gap (WA, near Yakima) and I see lights in my rear-view mirror. I thought, of course he wouldn't be pulling ME over, I didn't DO anything!
But he followed me over to the right lane, and I parked along the curb -he followed. I was dying a thousand deaths.

He came over and I had already gotten my license out, and he says "Can you get your reg. and insurance, or is it buried somewhere?" Very nice, too.
I managed to get it out, and handed it to him, and he says "I'm not pulling you over!" I'm thinking, the **** you say!
He then informed me my right headlight was out! And to just get it fixed, then sent me on my way.

I don't care how old you are, how many years you drove, anything, the moment a cop pulls you over, you are freaked out!!

Best part was, I was still some 50 miles from home and I had to go all that way worried I was going to get pulled over again!

Oh, and it was Friday night so I'm sure they were looking for reasons to pull folks over just to see if they'd been drinking
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
ozzymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 7,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
...A citizen took the photo.

I have no idea why you're trying to make a case out of this - if people want to donate to Unicorns and Rainbows, or to the NYPD, or the Salvation Army, etc., that is their business.
I'm certainly going to continue to donate to the places I feel like donating to.

I'm not sure what you are saying either.

I say donate with information and education, think you are kind of saying the same thing, but honestly I never really understand the meaning of your posts - duh me I guess.
I'm also saying these stories come out at this time of year with a purpose, what do cops do, well daily they do this and far more, do not base your beliefs and assumptions on one story. If you believe in your local police force, then support them. Castlemaid (think that is the mod's name) already chastised me for what she felt was a showing of ignorance on my part in my post, she also warned me regarding suspension or banning from this site and after another mod sent me the discussion, I understand the reasoning. So no need for your similar public dismissal, already read and received it privately.

Use education, this is a viral facebook story, questioning it is just human nature, looking for the truth, same. How many good-hearted people are misused by similar stories especially this time of year. How many cops go above and beyond, having been a victim of a break and enter at my home, while present at my home, assaulted during the break-in, I know the value of the police, their compassion and abilities to assist. I help as I can those who assist me, as well I am a firm believer in you help those who have no ability to repay.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com