Space heater - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Space heater

DH's parents want to get us something for Christmas and were on us about what to get. We don't really *need* anything so I couldn't think of anything on the spot, but now that we're watching movies in our basement it's pretty cold down there and we're thinking of asking for or just getting ourselves a space heater. Our basement is divided in half and one half is pseudo-finished. I say "pseudo" because there is carpet and a drywall ceiling, but three of the walls are painted concrete and the dividing wall is that faux wood paneling but painted. There is one air vent in the middle of that wall but it's up near the ceiling and there is no return air vent in that space, so along with the fact that nothing is actually insulated, the hot air is just going up the stairs and the cold air stays settled. It's nice in the summer but cold in the winter. This space is about 25'x10'. I want to add a space heater to our Amazon wishlist but there are so many different types: ceramic, quartz, some kind of oil, electric fireplaces, electric fake woodstoves, etc. It should be something we can just set on the floor, not mount (since it would have to be mounted into concrete). Budget...probably under $100 if possible otherwise it will be too expensive for a gift, but if it has to be something more like $150 we could just get it for ourselves. I would also like it to be something that blows heat right away (so something with a blower/fan) because we would only be using it while actually watching movies, not the kind you leave on for hours and it gradually increases ambient temp. It does not need any fancy controls or even a thermostat, just an on/off will suffice.

This is the space, as you can see the aesthetics don't really matter
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 11-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

I'm looking for the same. Froze my buns off during the last power outage and want to have something to hook up to my generator to heat the family room.
Hope you get some responses.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We got two Comfort Zone Quartz space heaters from Dollar General for less about $20 each. We use one for our office and the other downstairs in the foyer area. If they get tilted over,they will turn automatically and you have multiple settings. They come in handy when you don't want to turn the heat on for the whole house or in your case for your basement.I've seen them at other stores and online,but they run in the $50 plus range.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 11-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ceramic is the best I've had. I have a tiny little one for my bedroom and it kicks out a lot of heat. The biggest plus is that is Shania knocks it over it shuts off. I spent no where near $100.

My mother has two of those electric fake fireplaces. Neither of them was worth the hundreds of dollars she spent on them as far has heat goes. They just sit there looking "nice."
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has anyone looked into the Dyson products ? I am curious about them myself - especially for use in a puppy whelping room . Dyson Fans and Heaters ? Free Shipping| Dyson.com Dyson Hot fan heater | Dysoncanada.ca
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Budget buster! Sorry they are 4x our budget.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got a couple of these the other day from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater: Home & Kitchen

I've used different models of the Laskos in the past and they do a pretty good job. I like the ones with the remote control because I'm lazy.

About five years ago Lasko recalled several models, don't know if there are any still being sold on eBay or anywhere or not (I always check just to be sure). The recalled models are the 5132, 5345, 5362, 5364, 5420, 5532, 5534, and 5566; all except the 5420 are “tower” heaters.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've been trying to figure out what portable heat source to use in our sunroom so I can keep the dogs in there during the day when the temps drop. Electric rates on Long Island are probably the highest in the country and hubby is dead set against them or kerosene. I used kerosene heaters years ago, of course the issue is using anything while your not home. I found a solar heater, 1 panel but it's $900 hubby gave me dirty looks. So right now I've been turning our gas fireplace on in the morning to take the chill out of the room, it's propane which can be expensive we don't have natural gas in our area. I should have just run a baseboard or 2 in there I hate not being able to use the sunroom when it gets so cold. Yesterday it rained all 3 dogs were wet when I got home I felt bad becuase I don't know how long they were wet for. Obviously everyone is used to the doggie door now.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really like that Dyson, we just saw something on tv about how he started his business and became so successful, wonder if I can sell hubby on it. It doesn't say anything about efficency rating. I think I'd feel ok leaving that on when no one was home, maybe?
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My parents have an electric fire place in their sun room. While it doesn't really heat the room, it does take the chill out of it. I noticed that it dries out my eye balls when I sit in there for a while. Might be ideal for a basement where there might be humidity to consider as well.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.