Space heater - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thats funny about the electric being dry, we have the opposite with gas execessive moisture.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have this one from Home Depot.
We lost our heat a few years back and had to wait for parts. We bought two of these.
It was winter and frigid outside and these heaters worked wonders. We had one upstairs and one downstairs in the room where we sat most.
It really kept the house toasty warm.
1,500 Watt Electric Portable Ceramic Tower Heater with Logic Center Remote Control-5572 at The Home Depot
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Space heaters terrify me. If I were to get a space heater, it'd be mounted on a shelf on the wall where I would be satisfied that nothing could knock it over and burn my house down. I think such fear is irrational, but I grew up around a firefighter and have had such propaganda deeply ingrained (for better or for worse).

Oh- and I would second what others are saying about electric heat- it's SOOOO dry. I'm looking into humidifiers for my house.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well maybe it's not such an irrational fear after all. See here (written Sept 2012):

Quote:
Abstract
In 2010, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 57,100 reported home structure fires, 490 civilian deaths, 1,530 civilian injuries, and $1.1 billion in direct property damage. Fires were lower than in 2009, deaths were up slightly, and injuries and damages were nearly unchanged. All these changes continued a largely level trend over the past few years, coming after a sharp decline from the early 1980s to the late 1990s.

In 2006-2010, most home heating fire deaths (80%) and injuries (67%) and half (52%) of associated direct property damage involved stationary or portable space heaters. Space heating poses a much higher risk of fire, death, injury, and loss per million users than central heating.
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/os.heating.pdf

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just looked up oil heater in google because this is what I used to use--my dad too....it looks like an old fashioned radiator and is quite efficient..I do not know how to bring that link to this spot , so you will need to google it yourself if interested.Good luck in your search....EVERYTHING is just so darn costly these days...nice tv room btw..I miss having a basement...
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used one of these a couple of winters ago, and it worked great:

13 in. 800 Watt Parabolic Oscillating Radiant Heater-DFH-IH-12-O at The Home Depot
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wanted to add- whatever you get, make sure it has a thermostat. Of my two electric fireplaces, one has a thermostat and the other has only a timer. Believe it or not, the cheap thermostat actually works pretty well. It's a nice convenience that really shouldn't need to be considered a convenience. You wouldn't install an AC system without a thermostat...

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I got a couple of these the other day from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater: Home & Kitchen

I've used different models of the Laskos in the past and they do a pretty good job. I like the ones with the remote control because I'm lazy.

About five years ago Lasko recalled several models, don't know if there are any still being sold on eBay or anywhere or not (I always check just to be sure). The recalled models are the 5132, 5345, 5362, 5364, 5420, 5532, 5534, and 5566; all except the 5420 are “tower” heaters.

Thanks for the info, I just checked all my Lasko heaters and none are recalled. Yea!

We have 3 of these type. Had our pellet stove go out last year and had to wait a couple of days for a part. They did a good job and the Electric bill wasn't horrible.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have 3 space heaters. I really like the portable oil filled one for keeping a room warm. It has a thermostat and can be left plugged in, and it has an automatic off if it's knocked over. The only downside is it takes a while to warm up the room, but otherwise it's my favorite. The small ceramic heater is great for instant heat in a room, but I don't trust it to leave it plugged in. It's a cheapie, so maybe if it was a better one I would. I also have a coil radiant heater which will direct heat to one spot, but it gets dirty with dust and fur and if it's not directed at me I can't feel the warmth from it. My neighbor has one that's in it's own housing, pretty expensive, but it works much better.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I swear by those electric oil-filled heaters, we have three of them and while they take a while to warm up a room, once warm they do a fantastic job of keeping a room warm with minimal energy usage. In fact, we're going to see if we can get through the winter without using any propane, just these space heaters. So far, so good.

The ones I have cost about $50 each, they look like those old-fashioned radiators. They are less dangerous that heaters that use an open element, IMO. The surface of the heater gets hot, but not dangerously hot, so if someone runs into it or touches it accidentally, it will not burn. My cats sleep right next to them, and I mean almost touching them!

They are ideal for room heat, but I also use one to heat my entire grooming shop in winter. I turn it on at night, leave it on overnight, and my whole shop (4 separate rooms, about 750 sq. ft) is toasty in the morning. Then once I start work, I unplug it and just the heat of my dryers and eqipment keeps the shop warm for the rest of the day.

Holmes HOH3000-TG Oil-Filled Convection Heater -... : Target
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.