Worried bout Kitty :( - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can get it form Amazon. We use this powder to make a sauce that we top Hans's food with.

Amazon.com: Now Foods Slippery Elm Powder, 4-Ounce: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Now Foods Slippery Elm Powder, 4-Ounce: Health & Personal Care
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsnkiddos View Post
Doctor just called. She now has a fever. They have her on fluids and started her on baytril. I am completely PANICKED.
So they think it's an infection of some sort? I am so sorry.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes, she is back at the vet's office. She was to go in for fluids this morning and another xray with the idea that they would probably move to surgery after that. I called the vet first thing this morning to see how the xray went. At that time he said she now had a fever. He told me they had her on fluids and baytril and would move toward surgery within an hour. He mentioned the possibility of a perforrated bowel and my mind went numb. I am so scared!

I asked what would happen if they found nothing on surgery and he had really no info for me..
PHONE RANG!! Doctor calling me....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh my goodness! Prayers coming your way!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master Member

Well... I don't feel any better. The bowels were good (and looked fine)- in fact pretty much everything looked fine. Limited pancreas irritation (he said he had bumped it twice with a bowel and may have been the irritant). He did say the gall bladder was inflamed. It had a thickened and enlarged duct. When he aspirated this with a needle pus oozed out- the source of the fever is likely this infection. He said it was odd that all of her blood work and been normal. He said it was odd that there was not real jaundice.... that she was pink and healthy not yellowed at all. He said though that this billiary duct abcess is likely what caused all the visible inflammation and probably the fluid in the abdomen. He seemed surprised the cat showed no tenderness or pain on physical manipulation of the stomach during exam.

I asked now about FIP. He said he could not rule it out and really nothing more. I asked if this abcess was the cause of all her illness or a secondary issue to what was making her ill and he could not say. I asked if the blood work now showed any issues to indicate this infection. He told me they had not done ANY blood work. How can you take a cat to surgery, especially in light of the fever and not take blood?! He told me they were not sure about the "cost". I am so surprised. I mean I am spending thousands of dollars and you are going to question a $75 test??? If you were questioning this would you not call? Did my "whatever it takes" when you asked about how far I wanted to go not give you an idea that blood work would be fine???? THIS is why you let my dog die 6 years ago- your cheap first attitude sucks!!! I have told you both times money is not an issue for us! (vent over)

Anyway, I asked about the baytril and blindness connection. He said they had already decided to move to marboflaxcin (brand name zeniquin). I am to call at 3:30 to see that she is waking up well and get a plan of action. I can then pick her up this evening. We will do 2 weeks of antibiotics. I asked directly about force feeding and he agreed she was doing as well as she is because we are feeding her. He thinks I should use an AD canned food- THOUGHTS????? HE offered no answers to my queries about what caused this, how to prevent it, supplements, or feeding changed long term...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good lord, what a freaking nightmare ... I can't offer any thoughts other than I'm really sorry you're going through this.

Can you find another vet? Is there anyone near you that knows of a better vet?

Good luck, and I really hope your kitty pulls through.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #67 (permalink)

I don't have personal experience with gall bladder inflammation, but I just looked it up on petMD and the symptoms fit what you described to a T. I'd suggest you take a look. They describe causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment (limited to conventional).

For immediate consideration after the surgery:

"Remain observant for a slowed heartbeat, drop in blood pressure, and cardiac arrest when biliary structures are manipulated. Atropine may be required to slow or prevent the organs from responding to nerve stimulation, and to slow the body's secretions."

And may I just say that I've run into the no blood work before surgery problem, too? Unbelievably frustrating, especially when you explicitly tell them to do the blood work beforehand! And somehow it's always the one time it gets skipped it would have turned up critical information ...

Last edited by stealthq; 11-30-2012 at 04:59 PM.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Well, fingers crossed that she is going to have some smooth sailing from here on out.

I had a gallstone stuck in a duct once - it would go in, then pop out, then finally just got stuck - and it was really ouchy. Just hoping for all good things for her.

Ugh on the bloodwork.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Did they remove the gallbladder?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master Member

No they did nothing more than aspirate the infection. I did ask they do blood work NOW and that they send the fluid for analysis to make sure we are using the correct form of antibiotic.
I called at 3:30 but the Dr was with a patient. I will go at 6:30 to pickup and hopefully get more information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.