Worried bout Kitty :( - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great list, Jean!

I know that with Cleo I had to be very pushy and I also took over with the treatment plan stuff. Basically, you need to get fluids into your cat and you need to get (bland, grain free) non-kibble food into your cat. You also need to get something in there to help with the gas and indigestion!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Zoiks!

I had something similar with my dog - I was freaking out, no one telling me anything that made sense - but an ultrasound gave a diagnosis so I could stop acting like a maniac. But I "wasted" a lot of money trying to get that diagnosis when had I gone to Cornell sooner, I wouldn't have needed to pay for stuff that didn't need to be done.

I don't know if that would show for the ultrasound: Pancreatitis Feline

I am glad that FIP is not in the top 3 - that's good.

Cats, I think, are much more confusing. I feel badly - wish I could be there to help (be a pushy human Border Collie).
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

I am pretty pushy...but I am somewhat an unarmed combatant! I am so much more up on dog stuff as the cats have just always been healthy (that and we have been a dog household far longer than cat).... poor kitty is still in the crate I wish you were close- I would love to take a smartie to the vet with me!

I offered her cooked and raw chicken breast last night- turned up her nose. Still not interested in food now-maybe the barium is still in there making her tummy yucky. I know they gave her more nit nausea meds along with the fluids.

I have asked again and again if there are gas meds or something to push it all through while we try to see what is happening, but I just keep getting the same treatments (fluid and pepcid). I asked about what sort of food/liquid I should be trying and they said she had fluids and not to worry. How am I supposed to nurse her back and get her on the right path with so little guidance?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

Great- another cat vomited!! Is there an epidemic brewing?!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Print out the list Jean posted and find a better vet. What they are telling you is not correct. It is very dangerous for cats to go without eating. After 24 hours they are at risk for fatty liver disease. If you are offering food and she isn't eating it then you need to assist feed her, meaning you need to put food in her mouth, either with your finger or a syringe. Google it and you will find lots of tips.

I think I mentioned the homeopathic remedy nux vomica? And slippery elm is excellent for soothing the gut and easy to get into a cat.

I am speaking from experience here: I knew NOTHING about cat health stuff before Cleo got sick the first time. It was a vet who told me how dangerous it was for cats not to eat. The first time she got sick there was no diagnosis except that her tummy was filled with gas and that I needed to get some food into her. That is the first time I assist fed and it wasn't a pleasant experience but it saved her life.

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

I am off to google. I wonder where I can get things like slippery elm around here...I have thought of that many times when I read threads about holistic approaches. I probably should have figured it out before i *needed* the stuff!

I got a syringe at the drug store on the way home last night. I will look some feeding assist info up and see what we can get done. Poor little Snack She is so blah!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

Well that did not go well. She growled so much and finally got *very* upset. She went back to her crate and is growling. The other cats came along and boy did she get even louder and angrier. This is NOT a happy kitty.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try a meat based natural baby food to syringe into her, also pumpkin to move the blockage along...maybe tripe she will eat, IDK?

cats love cooked kidney and liver too - i only say cooked at this time for the smell.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nix on liver and kidney right now with possible pancreatitis. We want bland.

The growling is to be expected. Her tummy hurts. That's why you need to do a little bit it at a time. The first time I did the ceiling had more food on it then Cleo had in her. I had to wrap her in several towels and wrap the furniture in even more towels.

I would bake chicken breast or salmon in water (so poach it, basically) and then puree it with some pumpkin and plain chicken broth or salmon water. I always used to put the water I cooked it in right into the cuisinart with the food. You can add in some high quality, grain free canned food but mostly I would stick with just the chicken and pumpkin right now. I would also put a little probiotic in there, if you've got probiotic capsules.

You can find slippery elm and nux vomica at any health food store. Slippery elm may also be in a grocery store with a good health food section. Do you have a Wegman's nearby?

Ask them for a B12 shot tomorrow as well as the test for pancreatitis. Also, get more SubQ fluids.

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

The only other thing I can add is that cats are SUPER finnicky with the smell of their food. You could try sardines, or just the water from the canned sardines ... and see if that helps.

And yes, it is very dangerous for a cat to not eat ... I'm so sorry you're going through all of this ... don't beat yourself up about not knowing all this information beforehand.

We likely all learned BECAUSE we had a problem.

Lots of positive vibes going your way.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.