Worried bout Kitty :( - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Gums seem normal. Physical exam, DR said her stomach felt fluid filled and that she showed some tenderness to palpation. The xray showed gas in the stomach, stool in lower bowel, normal colon and pancreas...there were two small portions of the upper bowel she said could maybe be distended...or it could be an artifact. The same thing with the small line in one portion of the bowel that could maybe be something...or the overlap line from the two bowel segments. I am most worried about string (dental floss maybe) as despite the fact that all prevention efforts are taken, you just never know!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hi there,

I know a lot about cats and especially sick cats. Do get Sub-Qs and take her home.

The very first thing I thought of was constipation and the second was IBD. If she is in a lot of pain then pancreatitis is also a possibility. My (deceased) cat Cleo had pretty much the same symptoms and same test results and was diagnosed with IBD (which is really a catch-all). The next time it was pancreatitis. I was able to get her better by changing her diet and giving her some supplements.

What does your cat eat? Do you know if she has pooped recently?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Prayers for Snack. You need some good fortune to come your way I am so pleased Ruth saw this, she is so helpful and knowledgeable (has helped me with my kittys).
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hoping all goes well for Snack, you folks need a break! I love your stories about him. Lots of good vibes going your way.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Any update on little snack? Hope that all is well.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know anything about cats. Just praying for Snack to feel better and some good news.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am a cat breeder, so might be able to give you some ideas. It sounds like an obstruction of some kind. Shiny ingested items will NOT show up on x-ray. It could also be that the bowel has telescoped into itself. I would def be taking your cat to another vet and ask them about what I have said. I am very surprised that the first vet didn't want to do exploratory surgery. Both things I listed above can cause death.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-RIP 01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-RIP 1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/13, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-RIP 01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thinking good thoughts for you all.
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Bah I typed a big update and it got eaten!

We did bloodwork, xrays and an ultrasound last night. I got NO answers and decided to take the subq fluids and pepcid and see our vet today. They wanted to do an MRI and barium study which I will only do if our regular vet thinks it is a good idea. I looked at her xray- her bowels were loose- not scrunched up like they were blocked or tugged. They looked pretty good tome- if I imagined I was looking at a small dog that is.

We got home last night and I opened the crate. She came out and skulked around a bit. After being a ball of sleeping serenity at the vet she was back to a fur of growling claws. She went back to her crate and laid there like a lump. I offered her some more canned food and she growled her rejection at me. I checked on her every half hour or so and she seemed rather annoyed with me, but otherwise immobile.

I got up this morning to let the dogs out and she was no longer in her crate. I was afraid she had crawled off somewhere to die I turned around from the door and found her sitting behind me- GROOMING! I figured grooming was a good sign. I heated some canned food for her which she ate and then she turned and ate the kibble as well. Husband insisted this meant nothing as he was sure she would just vomit it all out. She went right back to lump position in the crate.

She is going in for repeat blood work in about 20 minutes...and maybe repeat xray. If my vet thinks it is prudent we will do other tests too.
Is there anything I need to ask for or be aware fo? Anything I should insist he do?

oh- and I think I failed to mention what she eats- she gets 1/4 c TOTW rocky mountain feline at 6 am and a tablespoon of verus canned and then 1/4 c TOTW at 8 pm. They (there are 3 cats) get two big soup bowl sized bowls of water that they mostly drink all of in 24 hours.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is constipation a possibility? Cleo got REALLY sick once because of constipation. Has she been peeing and pooping? Any vomiting?

Was the person who read the ultrasound a certified ultrasound tech? They are NOT easy to read--you really have to know what it is you are looking at.

For the future I would switch her an all of your other cats over to grain free canned or raw. Get rid of the kibble--it really isn't suitable for cats' digestive systems.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.