I hate the term "pitbull" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default I hate the term "pitbull"

I really do hate the word "pitbull." My understanding is that there isn't any dog breed called the pitbull anyway. I consider it a slang term for the American Pitbull Terrier, kind of like using the "n" word. I find it offensive. However, I can relate to the fact that American Pitbull Terrier is a mouthful. So, why couldn't the name be shortened to just the American Terrier, which I think is what they truly are anyway? It might even take away some of the stigma if the pit connotation was taken away. Does anyone agree? Would it fly with the APBT folks do you think?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a breed I know little about and I was surprised to hear from someone they are in the terrior family. My neighbor has one, nice dog actually.

I personally don't find the name offensive but don't know the origins of the nickname either. I do find the N word strongly offensive but don't feel the two words can even be compared.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I personally don't find the name offensive but don't know the origins of the nickname either. I do find the N word strongly offensive but don't feel the two words can even be compared.
I totally agree. Pushes the line past ridicules.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

What??

I'm lost. How is there no dog breed called a Pit Bull (2 words)? It's a shortened name for the one and only American Pit Bull Terrier, the only breed that should be called a Pit Bull. Any other breed being lumped into that group doesn't belong there, which is partly why there is so much confusion.

It's no more offensive than saying "Shepherd" for German Shepherd Dog.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

You should go to a pit bull forum to ask this.

IMO, it'd be like calling German shepherds "Shepherds", and not qualifying it with "German". There's many breeds out there already that fall into a generic category of "shepherd" usually meaning any breed that herds sheep (sheep - herd).

There's many breeds lumped into "pit bull" including American Pit Bull Terrier (where pit bull is part of the name), Staffordshire terriers, and Staffordshire bull terriers and even "American Bullies".
Saying "pit bull" (which ought to be two words and not one word) isn't derogatory, IMO. It's what you'd say when you aren't sure if it's an APBT, a Staffie or an SBT.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

The term pit bull is in NO way comparative to the N word.

The term pit bull is not a shortened version of "American Pit bull Terrier"

The term pit bull is a legal term that encases "pit bull type dogs" . It was developed by lawyers after the majority of their dog bite cases were by "pit bull type dogs"

This includes but is not limited to :
Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bull Dog, English Bull Dog, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler.

When Pitbull Advocates argue that their is no such thing as a Pit Bull dog, they are right, and are arguing with no one but themselves. A Pit Bull is a group of dogs.

My stepdad is a lawyer and aside from family law, he also does insurance claims on dog bites. In all his dog bite cases, he has only had one case of a "bite/attack" that was not a Pit Bull type dog. It was when a great dane jumped on a 2 year old and knocked him over and cut his head open.

If you are really searching for a synonym for "Pit Bull", "Chinese" would be a great word because Americans group all asian people as Chinese.

I hope this post was informative and helped you to understand what the term "Pit Bull" really means.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I really do hate the word "pitbull." My understanding is that there isn't any dog breed called the pitbull anyway. I consider it a slang term for the American Pitbull Terrier, kind of like using the "n" word. I find it offensive. However, I can relate to the fact that American Pitbull Terrier is a mouthful. So, why couldn't the name be shortened to just the American Terrier, which I think is what they truly are anyway? It might even take away some of the stigma if the pit connotation was taken away. Does anyone agree? Would it fly with the APBT folks do you think?
1. Correct, pitbull is a type not a breed
2. I do not see it as a "slang" word. We have lots of dog "types" (lurchers, Alaskan Huskies, Jack Russells, etc). The "N" word? really? Not going to go there...
3. Pitbull is not short for American Pitbull Terrier, as we have just agreed in #1, so no I doubt it would fly. Come to any UKC show or APBT specialty....
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
The term pit bull is in NO way comparative to the N word.

The term pit bull is not a shortened version of "American Pit bull Terrier"

The term pit bull is a legal term that encases "pit bull type dogs" . It was developed by lawyers after the majority of their dog bite cases were by "pit bull type dogs"

This includes but is not limited to :
Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bull Dog, English Bull Dog, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler.

When Pitbull Advocates argue that their is no such thing as a Pit Bull dog, they are right, and are arguing with no one but themselves. A Pit Bull is a group of dogs.

My stepdad is a lawyer and aside from family law, he also does insurance claims on dog bites. In all his dog bite cases, he has only had one case of a "bite/attack" that was not a Pit Bull type dog. It was when a great dane jumped on a 2 year old and knocked him over and cut his head open.

If you are really searching for a synonym for "Pit Bull", "Chinese" would be a great word because Americans group all asian people as Chinese.

I hope this post was informative and helped you to understand what the term "Pit Bull" really means.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
1. Correct, pitbull is a type not a breed
2. I do not see it as a "slang" word. We have lots of dog "types" (lurchers, Alaskan Huskies, Jack Russells, etc). The "N" word? really? Not going to go there...
3. Pitbull is not short for American Pitbull Terrier, as we have just agreed in #1, so no I doubt it would fly. Come to any UKC show or APBT specialty....
You all HERE may agree that there is no breed, only a type, but I would challenge you to take that opinion to APBT fanciers with some knowledge.

And I'm out....
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

At the bottom of this forum, you should be able to see links to other forus like Basset.net or DobermanTalk and there is GoPitbull. I am betting that forum would be more interested or have threads about this topic and more knowledge. I think a big problem is that there are breed supporters (that really I don't think understand the dog or genetics) that have tried to "PC" things over and have made a real mess of it - like a bunch of smoke and mirrors to throw people off. It just ends up being more confusing.

Hey, check out the origin of the name of the Chow Chow breed.

Dogs don't even know what their own names mean, never mind their breed names, so could in no way be remotely like the n word.

Just changing something's name doesn't change what it is or has been. No matter how hard people try! Alsatian, Weiner Dog, etc.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.