What would YOUR dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default What would YOUR dog do?

Guard dogs more friendly than frightening when put to the test (VIDEO) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Thought this was pretty interesting. What do you think your dog would do if you were not home?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great, tell all the would-be burglars to ignore the dogs, and go about robbing people blind.

What would my dogs do? I don't know, they never have been tested, save for letting dad in to feed and care for them when I am away.

But, there are a few true stories from within my family and my community:

1. My brother's dachsund/beagle mix was brutally kicked and injured by burglars. I think if the dog ran and hid or minded his own business that wouldn't have happened.

2. My parents' old English Setter Pip RIP, barked like mad at the doors and windows, and the burglars tried to break in. They broke two windows and the back door, but they did not enter the house, and our guess is that Pip, the marshmellow, prevented them from entering.

3. Sirus, GSD in Plymouth (about 6-10 miles away from me), barked like mad at the door, was let out and engaged two gun men. He was shot twice but the gunmen retreated when the home-owners got their gun and fired at them.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Obviously, I hope I never find out but I truly think my dogs would engage to some point. The only thing I have to go off of is one night when I was sick in bed, my new roommate locked herself out and jumped the fence and tried to get in the back door at about 2am. No lights were on and the dogs didn't know who was there and they went ballistic at the door and wouldn't let her in until she cracked the door and talked to them. Then they recognized her and chilled out and let her in. But I had never heard or seen them so ready to take on whoever was trying to get in the door. Sasha is probably the only one who would actually confront someone but the other's would be there to back her up

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd be more concerned with what the intruders would do once they got in. (I have no doubts that the dogs would hold the door open for them....)

If someone came in and let Sania and Gracie together, they'd be too busy killing each other to care about the robbers.... Ozzy would probably follow them around, bark, growl, retreat, repeat. Aiden would pee on them. Shelbye would bark because she would know something's up, but she wouldn't quite know what she was barking for.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's hard to say. My brother's dog will let people walk right into his apartment who he hardly knows...but only if he isn't home. If he is? Completely different story - goes nuts until told to settle down.

Baxter hasn't run into any situations at my home, but he has stayed with my parents a few times... My mom works from home for a business her brother owns. He occasionally stops by to drop off paperwork, and typically just walks into the house without knocking because he knows their dog won't do anything. Baxter wouldn't let him more than two feet in the house. Didn't attack, just barked and growled until my mom told him it was alright. Granted, I'm irritated (mildly put) that she didn't give my uncle a heads up that Baxter was with them, because I don't want anything to happen, and it could have been easily avoided with simply ringing the doorbell. But oh well.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the confidence and mellow demeanor of the guy in the suit has a lot to do with the reactions of the dogs. I'm gonna guess most burglars will show some stress or aggression that might trigger a different response.

@ Selzer, the response from Pip is what I'd hope for if someone attempted to break into my home. The noise alone from 2 large dogs barking like crazy would draw attention the burglar would not want and send them away looking for an easier target.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I'd be more concerned with what the intruders would do once they got in. (I have no doubts that the dogs would hold the door open for them....)

If someone came in and let Sania and Gracie together, they'd be too busy killing each other to care about the robbers.... Ozzy would probably follow them around, bark, growl, retreat, repeat. Aiden would pee on them. Shelbye would bark because she would know something's up, but she wouldn't quite know what she was barking for.
I'm sorry, but when I played that all out in my head, thats pretty **** funny!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

After the hurricane a friend of my husband showed up to our home unannounced. His phone was dead, his home gone and he decided to come stay with us. We had no idea. We have never locked our doors since moving here from Boston. I live in the woods, on a dead end street. The friend came in the house and made it to my husband's office before a dog noticed. He got a "boof" from Mason who had never met the guy.. He nearly got his head taken off by Crazy White (she'd been closed in the office with the husband)and she has met him before.

I imagine if we were not here they would either not even lift their heads from the pillow or that CW might go into attack mode.

I think they might be at more risk from the cats...especially Beast's Kitten who is him in cat form.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

I'm not sure what mine would do. I hope to never find out, but may have gotten an indication one morning.

DH had left for work and came back home. I was in the shower, suddenly I heard Woolf going ballistic, lunging and hitting the front door. Of course here I am jumping out of the shower, grabbing a robe and running the hallway. Just as I got to the foyer I heard DH speak to Woolf and he immediately settled and DH was able to open the door and come in. The strange thing is DH has left, came back home other times and Woolf would be his usual self, look at the door and go back to his ball madness. The only difference that time was the shower.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Very predictable results, I am glad they published the video. If I could have a quarter for every time I heard "my dog is very protective" I would be retiring from my regular day job.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.