What would YOUR dog do? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know what my dogs would do. They bark when they hear stuff outside but not sure if they would do. I think Xerxes would protect me if I was at home, but just people coming in? They'd probably bark then----want me to hold the door for you while you take that TV? Can you let me out too? I really have to go potty. Thanks.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
Very predictable results, I am glad they published the video. If I could have a quarter for every time I heard "my dog is very protective" I would be retiring from my regular day job.
I always said that Stark would NOT protect the home or us. We trained in schH for over a year, he washed out before he was ready for his 1. Just not the right dog for the sport.

Well, while my sister and I were sleeping (middle of the night) a guy broke into our apartment, and tried to enter.

Stark held the guy in a B&H at our threshold until I got there and platz'd him..

Didn't leave the threshold when the guy took off down the hall (I live in an apartment). Held his down until I released.

Totally NOT predictable!

Now, if it was Zefra.... they probably would need stitches... a lot of them...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Banshee would go ballistic at the first indication of a person at the door. We know this because we've tested it after the mailman made a comment one day and we've seen her go after strangers in the house.

Jax may or may not feed off of Banshee's aggression. I'm kind of doubting it. I think she would lay there and watch them move the TV out the door.

ETA: OMG Elisabeth!! How terrifying!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know, those are kind of staged scenarios in the videos. My dogs would be like, why are you wearing dad's ski-doo suit, omg are you taking us sledding, then the "perp" better find the sled keys and take the dogs out... Otherwise, I don't wanna know what happens to him. He would be in trouble at that point.
Seriously, it does give us food for thought on the idea our dogs will protect. Dolly would probably grab his arm and lead him to the fridge where prime rib or honey ham awaits, Oz would be like, listen, don't touch my cuz's and we're OK, you were never here.
I do wonder, because we had that 4am knock and something that sounded like metal on metal, I thought a key in the deadbolt, I could be wrong, it was 4am, Dolly barked, Oz didn't, but, in saying that, my front door has a full-length window - with no curtain, how do I not know they didn't see the black and red dog and get lost? I think it was Dolly's bark, because she was on the floor with me, but it could have been Oz, just standing up. Either way, I am glad they acted as a deterrent and all are safe - although it was probably the new neighbor's bf, drunk, trying the wrong door LOL, or maybe the neighbors use the same dog walker and they tried the lock because they are used to going to our house. At any rate, never a threat and the dogs existed in the house, their presence enough to deter or jar to reality.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think Jerry would bark and maybe growl at them, but I'm not sure if he would do anything to physically prevent the burglars from taking anything. Usually he alerts when someone he hasn't met comes to the door. We let him bark a couple of times, praise him for alerting us, then tell him it's OK and he quiets down and is fine with the person entering. He is protective over our property, though. I've been in the yard with him and he's fine with people walking by on the sidewalk and talking to me, but if they step into the yard and start approaching the house, he will bark.

Now, if the burglars were pretty young girls, he'd just let them in and want to sit on their laps. I had a couple of friends come over the other night and not only did he not bark, but he wanted to lick them and snuggle with them. Usually he's so aloof with strangers! He always watches young girls and wants to go to them when we're out walking. From the vet records and the AKC registration paperwork the rescue gave us, I know he lived with a young girl when he was first bought from a breeder at 8 weeks old and he was supposed to be her dog, maybe that's why.

My little dog would just roll over for them to rub her belly. I don't think she's ever barked at a person before.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by SueDoNimm; 11-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
SueDoNimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

mine would attack but she already know the suit lol so its not a fair trial now
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

remember the other test they did? the german shepherd again was the only breed that did anything. This is the second time they ran the test.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't say that this video proves anything. The guy going in likes dogs and in reality is a good person. Dogs will sense this and not sense any danger. Now lets get a video of a harden criminal going in to rob the place for real. I think the results would be completely different. I would love to test my dogs, but I can't find any volunteers I do know that at the very least they would bark ...they bark when I'm coming in. I also think that anyone that attempted to come in my house to begin with would be crazy. At this point with my dogs, I think the golden would be the most reactive. I think as the GSD gets older, she would be the one to notice something wasn't right and react. She would have to be much more mature to test that. My oldest would probably follow the guy around the house, smelling him and getting in his way. If this was the case and he wanted her away from him and he lets say kicked her, she would react and she would bite for sure.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

most decoy are good people tho lol
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
most decoy are good people tho lol
Two completely different things. When they are working with a decoy it is on command. I think things might even be a little different if the man in the video didn't have the suit on. Bring in a guy that has a mask on his head and is high on drugs....I believe that would be a whole different video.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.