Buying a new laptop - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #81 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Lets see, I've got HP, Leveno, Dell, and Mac laptops. How would I rank them for my use?
Mac
Leveno
Dell
HP
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #82 (permalink)

What did you pay for each of them? Based on the most popular models (and not specs or price) the list looks about right, assuming you mean Lenovo. I use and repair all of them (and also throw in ASUS, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, and some more obscure Asian brands) daily. Problem is people like to compare a Dell Inspiron 1545 to a MacBook Pro.

I had a brand new ASUS ultrabook yesterday, it was really nice and really pretty! If I was in the market for an ultrabook it would be a contender.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I decided to go ahead and add the extra RAM (taking it to 16GB)- I know don't need it now but now I can figure out how to make a RAM cache which, I think, would reduce wear and tear on the SSD .......I figure the <$20 price difference, why not that why I have the same RAM from the get-go.

Any good recommendations on a book in Windows 7? I think I am more than a dummy with what I want to do.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #84 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can I ask why you went with windows 7 versus Windows 8?
I have heard conflicting reviews on windows 8.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I tried out win 8 on another laptop and really did not like the metro interface and the loss of the start button. and having to go to the corners of my screen for various actions. From what I understand there are some performance tweaks in win 8 but i just did not care for the interface. Also had some programs with undertimed compatibility yet.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #86 (permalink)

I use Windows 8 but my computer boots to the "normal" desktop and I use a start menu that looks no different from Windows 7 (same customization options as well). I can't stand the metro desktop or all the dragging/swiping.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory

I still have my first laptop from Acer that I got in 2007. when I started school. The screen got ruined and to get it replaced would have cost money I didn't want to spend. I really want an Alien Ware (Ultimate Gamer), but they were purchased by Dell. I have heard details about the new AW laptops not being what they used to be like. To try and get a refurbished one is still a lot of money.

I have had somewhat luck with Toshiba (when I went to type something it would skip and wipe everything I wrote; he was able to fix the issue since he works in cable and have to deal with computers, and laptops), I gave it to my mom's boyfriend to use since his screen on an older one got cracked and the mother board was acting up. I use my desktop or Kindle Fire for internet reading now.

I would actually go for another Acer or Toshiba. If money wasn't an issue and I could get any one; it again would be the AW laptop or Sony Vaio (newer ones).

Do you have an Office Depot near you? If so, that is where I got my Toshiba from. They are always having a sale on laptops. You could get a Toshiba for around $400-$600.

Last edited by CelticGlory; 12-07-2012 at 09:06 PM.
CelticGlory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #88 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I actually ordered an Origin which was formed by some of the folks who were originally with Alienware but did not go when the company went to Dell. I spent more than I needed, I know - but not more than a comparable system elsewhere. Got a fair deal for what I bought.

I had previously bought a Toshiba with Win 8 and the customer service nightmare the very first day with nobody owning up to the fact that it did not have a valid win 8 license which prevented me from configuring it and because the 640GB hard drive was only 60GB led me to say ENOUGH, ENOUGH and go with another company. 4 hours going back and forth between Toshiba, Micosoft and Staples with nobody "owning" my problem and saying the other was responsible was more than I could take so I returned it.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #89 (permalink)

Weird I wonder if the drive was encrypting (when ours encrypt they run a bit slow and the size of the volume doesn't calculate correctly because it uses a huge portion of the volume while its encrypting). Either way I can relate, can't stand Toshiba.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #90 (permalink)
Banned

I had a few dead pixels in my Dell XPS system.
Discussed upgrading to the tech who came out and replaced the screen (for free, Dell warranties) and told him I'm not going to upgrade when there's not been enough upgrades to their systems to really notice a huge difference.
Oh my fan's going out too and he'll bring by a replacement next week.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.